Review Purple Heart

PWRof1

Debutant
Jun 2, 2013
Australia thereabouts
AFL Club
Fremantle
I did scroll back looking for the thread. I just finished reading the book on Pav's birthday. I got it for mine in October, but didn't want to read it until all the speculation was done with, and I could sit down & read it leisurely. It only took me 3 days, so I did it very leisurely.
I'm glad I did, else I would be disheartened & believing that Pav wouldn't be playing on in 2016. It was an eye opener & a damn good read. I think he was subtle with some digs at the AFL, & the MRP. Not enough tho. Does he get fined for criticizing the AFL? At least I know now that despite the Anyone Anytime Anywhere mantra, the players were pissed off about being sent to Geelong. That was farcical & well done for winning boys.
Great read, now to deliver in 2016, one flag. Pave to lift the cup.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I did scroll back looking for the thread. I just finished reading the book on Pav's birthday. I got it for mine in October, but didn't want to read it until all the speculation was done with, and I could sit down & read it leisurely. It only took me 3 days, so I did it very leisurely.
I'm glad I did, else I would be disheartened & believing that Pav wouldn't be playing on in 2016. It was an eye opener & a damn good read. I think he was subtle with some digs at the AFL, & the MRP. Not enough tho. Does he get fined for criticizing the AFL? At least I know now that despite the Anyone Anytime Anywhere mantra, the players were pissed off about being sent to Geelong. That was farcical & well done for winning boys.
Great read, now to deliver in 2016, one flag. Pave to lift the cup.

I just finished it too. I agree with your review and comments whole heartedly. I loved his digs at the AFL, WAFC etc throughout the book and it put into perspective how loyal the guy is to Freo. Unbeleivably loyal!

I also enjoyed his praise of Shane Parker who was one of my very favourites back in the day. He didn't single out too many teammates for praise but Shane got a few mentions.

Aug 14, 2007
Out West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Bears, Bulls, B'Hawks & Cubs
Agreed re: the read being a good one. I came away from the book with answers. Thinking back on all the years from the fans perspective on why isn't the team doing better, they dont seem to be playing as a unit etc. etc. - but the book identify's the grueling seasons on the body and the team psyche having played a big part on results.

In the end it summarises what I had already felt; The club has only just got its ***t together and had Everest to climb on the way there.
Oh and Pav is a LEGEND.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
It is a good solid book, explaining all the ups and downs.

Was interested in a comment made by Pav about an incident in the first year at the club. He was playing WAFL and Freo were playing in Melbourne, so some of the boys left at home, got together in front of the tele to watch the game. One of the experienced players was barracking for the opposition, hoping that a loss would jettison the coach. Pav was not happy with this person, and said that he was a "prick of a person".

Intrigued who he was referring to ?.

Very happy to see that Pav holds Shane Parker & Seany Mac in high regard.

WAnchor

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
Never There
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it was mentioned in the other thread, but I loved his reference to Clive Waterhouse throwing a bbq for new players, then to charge them for meat. Pav's man-love for Lyon was very obvious.

Jun 4, 2008
Kardinya
AFL Club
Fremantle
It is a good solid book, explaining all the ups and downs.
Was interested in a comment made by Pav about an incident in the first year at the club. He was playing WAFL and Freo were playing in Melbourne, so some of the boys left at home, got together in front of the tele to watch the game. One of the experienced players was barracking for the opposition, hoping that a loss would jettison the coach. Pav was not happy with this person, and said that he was a "prick of a person".
Intrigued who he was referring to ?.

Well you can narrow it down. Pav missed the 1st four matches of the 2000 season - only one of these was an away game in Melbourne (Round 4 versus Tigers). Of the Year 2000 player list, the following players were omitted from the round 4 side:
  • Jason Norrish
  • Brad Bootsma
  • Luke Toia
  • Greg Harding
  • James Clement
  • Anthony Jones
  • Antoni Grover
  • Brodie Holland
  • Andrew Shipp
  • Brad Wirra
  • Daniel Schell
  • Ben Cunningham
  • Garth Taylor
You can cross out Grover who was a longtime Pav teammate. For some reason I doubt it would be Greg Harding who comes across like a good bloke.
We know that Clement & Holland both later went to Collingwood - one of them?
My guess is one of Brad Bootsma or Jason Norrish - both would have been older players about 28 who may have become a bit jaded with Drum.

Freo Shark

Invasion of the Purple Haze
Oct 18, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks, Miami Heat, Wildcats, 49ers
Well you can narrow it down. Pav missed the 1st four matches of the 2000 season - only one of these was an away game in Melbourne (Round 4 versus Tigers). Of the Year 2000 player list, the following players were omitted from the round 4 side:
  • Jason Norrish
  • Brad Bootsma
  • Luke Toia
  • Greg Harding
  • James Clement
  • Anthony Jones
  • Antoni Grover
  • Brodie Holland
  • Andrew Shipp
  • Brad Wirra
  • Daniel Schell
  • Ben Cunningham
  • Garth Taylor
You can cross out Grover who was a longtime Pav teammate. For some reason I doubt it would be Greg Harding who comes across like a good bloke.
My guess is one of Brad Bootsma or Jason Norrish - both would have been older players about 28 who may have become a bit jaded with Drum.

Clement was pretty disrespectful towards Freo and Drum and wanted to go to a professional club and be with Malthouse??

PintofPale

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Clement was jaded but was always a professional bloke (which is partly why he was jaded...) Sounds like Toia kind of behaviour to me.

BlueBerryPrince

Senior List
Sep 13, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Leeds United
I just finished it too. I agree with your review and comments whole heartedly. I loved his digs at the AFL, WAFC etc throughout the book and it put into perspective how loyal the guy is to Freo. Unbeleivably loyal!

I also enjoyed his praise of Shane Parker who was one of my very favourites back in the day. He didn't single out too many teammates for praise but Shane got a few mentions.

I have not read the book but I am glad Parker gets some praise. Solid defender and always tried his guts out.
If only he was born a few years later, he would have thrived in the Lyon era.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • Jason Norrish
  • Brad Bootsma
  • Luke Toia
  • Greg Harding
  • James Clement
  • Anthony Jones
  • Antoni Grover
  • Brodie Holland
  • Andrew Shipp
  • Brad Wirra
  • Daniel Schell
  • Ben Cunningham
  • Garth Taylor

My guess would be Toia or Clement.

BlueBerryPrince

Senior List
Sep 13, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Leeds United
Absolutely spot on, I think Ross would've loved his spirit. I wonder if he's got any sons?

Good question, I had a feeling he has two daughters but I dont really follow the players personal lives too much. A more pertainent question would be will Ross still be around to coach them? :)

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • Jason Norrish
  • Brad Bootsma
  • Luke Toia
  • Greg Harding
  • James Clement
  • Anthony Jones
  • Antoni Grover
  • Brodie Holland
  • Andrew Shipp
  • Brad Wirra
  • Daniel Schell
  • Ben Cunningham
  • Garth Taylor

Brad Bootsma's career was very short and under Drum. So unlikely. I have deleted the first and second year players, leaving only these eight players.
  • Jason Norrish
  • Luke Toia
  • Greg Harding
  • James Clement
  • Anthony Jones
  • Antoni Grover
  • Brodie Holland
  • Brad Wirra

• Jason Norrish - he was always really loved at the club so wouldn't imagine him.
  • Brad Bootsma - first year at the club so wouldn't have been him.
  • Luke Toia - I always thought he was a well renowned clubman? Hes in real estate now....... so maybe?
  • Greg Harding - no idea
  • James Clement - my leading candidate
  • Anthony Jones - was probably injured so unlikely him as he would have been out of the team for that reason.
  • Antoni Grover
  • Brodie Holland - was his final season at the club and is a well know dickhead.
  • Andrew Shipp - potentially, but only his 2nd season at the club so unlikely he'd be so brazen.
  • Brad Wirra - hes probably my 3rd leading candidate
  • Daniel Schell - like Shipp only 2nd year at the club so unlikely
  • Ben Cunningham - first year at the club and had yet to debut at this point.
  • Garth Taylor - only played one game in 2000 after a strong 1999, career slipping away? maybe.
My pick is Clement, followed by Holland then Wira and Taylor.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
I remember in 1996 there were these microdots floating around called Purple Hearts. Those things licked the inside of your skull and shat your soul out of your eyeballs.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought straight away that it was Clement, due to his negative comments about Freo.

Interesting to note that a player who was traded by the club, appears to be on very good terms with Pav and the club. Leigh Brown is obviously made of good stuff.

Clement doesn't have any time for Freo on his 720 radio spots. He was traded for not trying,squibbing it was the term used if I remember correctly.

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just finished the book, read it through in one day; it was fascinating reading, particularly for someone like me who started watching footy when Freo was on the up-swing. (Before I hear any 'bandwagoner' slurs thrown at me, I migrated to Australia in 2008. Bite me.)

This book should be required reading for all the new recruits as part of their Fremantle indoctrination. I hope it inspires them to stick fat and thin with the club and bring a new appreciation for what it has had to overcome to be the club they know today.

Does anyone have a copy of Matt Price's "Way to Go" that I can borrow or know of anywhere I can still get one?

Also, if I ever attend a game live and I hear someone bagging or booing Pav, regardless of how he is playing that day, I will likely be thrown out for calling them out. Say the negative things you want about Pav, he's been a big driver of the successful position the club is now in and the evolution of the culture of our current playing group, at huge personal cost and likely his chance of getting a premiership. Shame Freo didn't get a coach the standard of Ross while Pav and Macca were in their prime.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Clement doesn't have any time for Freo on his 720 radio spots. He was traded for not trying,squibbing it was the term used if I remember correctly.

At that time, Shane Parker was preferred over Clement. The east coach media salivated over Clements work at Collingwood, but I think Freo made the right decision standing by Shane. As stated by Pav, Shane was very professional and always gave 100%.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
At that time, Shane Parker was preferred over Clement. The east coach media salivated over Clements work at Collingwood, but I think Freo made the right decision standing by Shane. As stated by Pav, Shane was very professional and always gave 100%.

Clement wanted out ,didn't put his best foot forward and got what he wanted .

not_working

Senior List
Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Also, if I ever attend a game live and I hear someone bagging or booing Pav, regardless of how he is playing that day, I will likely be thrown out for calling them out. Say the negative things you want about Pav, he's been a big driver of the successful position the club is now in and the evolution of the culture of our current playing group, at huge personal cost and likely his chance of getting a premiership. Shame Freo didn't get a coach the standard of Ross while Pav and Macca were in their prime.

Also read it over christmas, and I was thinking exactly the same thing! How can anyone follow Freo, and not be full of admiration for Pav? What the guy has done for the club, sometimes under really difficult circumstances is just exceptional - great clubs have to be built around great people and I think Pav will leave a lasting legacy that is worth 1000x more than any made/missed goal kick ...

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Also read it over christmas, and I was thinking exactly the same thing! How can anyone follow Freo, and not be full of admiration for Pav? What the guy has done for the club, sometimes under really difficult circumstances is just exceptional - great clubs have to be built around great people and I think Pav will leave a lasting legacy that is worth 1000x more than any made/missed goal kick ...
I'm sorry, but anyone who boos Pav is not a Fremantle supporter. End of story.

I'm sorry, but anyone who boos Pav is not a Fremantle supporter. End of story.
Definitely. No matter how good Fyfie turns out, I'll always consider Pav our greatest ever. All the crap he put up with and all the bad times and sticking by Freo while producing quality on the field. No matter what, he will be my favourite Fremantle player ever.

Grape Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 12, 2012
Middle of Nowhere
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting that in the last chapter, when he was talking about 2015, it was clear that internally they knew there were issues with ball movement and ball use, even during our unbeaten run through the first half of the season. He's quite taciturn about the reason we were running out games poorly, but it looks like they identified the major issues with our game plan and the slow, indecisive movement fairly early in the season
- even prior to Johnno going down. He even mentions that a few players were tapped on the shoulder and put on notice about it, particularly after the horrendous performance in Launceston.

Back