Purple Pilgrimage — Planning to Make My Freo Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright folks, the initial plan for the Melbourne leg of Gilapalooza 2015 on Saturday the 4th of July (the blockbuster between Mason's Pies & Jason's Zebras) are as follows:

- Meet at the Retreat Hotel (226 Nicholson Street Abbotsford - http://www.theretreathotel.com) at 12:30pm for a couple of pre-game refreshments;
- Make the march/amble to Victoria Park around 1:30-1:40pm;
- Suburban footy between an aggresive bird & a monochrome horse from 2pm.

If enough people are keen I'll book at the Retreat (where apparently they filmed The Sullivans), otherwise just rock up & we'll make room.

Alright folks, the initial plan for the Melbourne leg of Gilapalooza 2015 on Saturday the 4th of July (the blockbuster between Mason's Pies & Jason's Zebras) are as follows:

- Meet at the Retreat Hotel (226 Nicholson Street Abbotsford - http://www.theretreathotel.com) at 12:30pm for a couple of pre-game refreshments;
- Make the march/amble to Victoria Park around 1:30-1:40pm;
- Suburban footy between an aggresive bird & a monochrome horse from 2pm.

If enough people are keen I'll book at the Retreat (where apparently they filmed The Sullivans), otherwise just rock up & we'll make room.

I hope nobody does a Terry Sullivan though and leaves a quarter of a glass of beer behind when they leave.

Gday Gil, Good stuff on the book deal. We met in LA when I was up playing a game for San Diego Lions and I did the phone interview with you shortly after.
How are those American lads doing over there?

Gday Gil, Good stuff on the book deal. We met in LA when I was up playing a game for San Diego Lions and I did the phone interview with you shortly after.
How are those American lads doing over there?

Hey, Raffa! Of course I remember you. Hope you're well. The American boys are going pretty well. The Collingwood folks swear up and down the Mason Cox will get a game before either Jason Holmes or Eric Wallace, while a former St Kilda source says Holmesy was very close last year and may debut this year. Yet another AFL source (forgive me for not naming them here, but they insisted on anonymity) says that while Wallace is in the last year of his contract, that even if the Roos were to delist him, another club likely would throw him a lifeline. Alex Auricchio is the smokey. He's unsigned, but gaining valuable VFL experience with Northern Blues (formerly the Bull Ants). Keep your eye on a fifth American, Matt Korcheck, who I watched train in Florida at an AFL combine and later got invited by Carlton to a two-to-three week trial in Melbourne, beginning later this month.

Along with Seppo, Tonga Bob and Allikat, we watched Cox and Holmes play opposite each other in a recent Collingwood-Sandringham match and while not attempting to speak for them, I think it's fair to say we were more impressed with Cox on the day, for his work rate off the ball and his kicking, though Holmes slotted a set shot from 35 out after getting a gift free kick for a holding the man call paid his way. Holmes was getting monstered early by Brodie Grundy, but he more than held his own.

Hope you had an amazing time in Australia Gil! Lovely to meet you today, and can't wait to see you again in October!

Allikat, it was awesome meeting you, too — Freo fans and av geeks unite! :) Tonga Bob, also a pleasure meeting you for the first time. I have you to thank for steering us to the Yarra Hotel for a pint — not just for the libation, but also because it led me to meet Peta Searle and Paul Husdon, who may prove to be valuable sources for the book.

Allikat, it was awesome meeting you, too — Freo fans and av geeks unite! :) Tonga Bob, also a pleasure meeting you for the first time. I have you to thank for steering us to the Yarra Hotel for a pint — not just for the libation, but also because it led me to meet Peta Searle and Paul Husdon, who may prove to be valuable sources for the book.

It was great to meet you, Gil and I'm glad you had a good time while you were in Oz. Its only fair as I had a great time in the US last year.

Hope to see you back here for the big dance in October....with great result!!!

Go Freo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back