Put a line through Freo?

Remove this Banner Ad

With Hawkins a late withdrawal, it was never going to be easy for the Cats. Even crippled by a bad back, he was the only reasonably consistent tall avenue to goal that season (Podsiadly dropped off significantly in the second half of 2013, culminating in him going goalless in Geelong's last two finals).

Crippled huh? Pretty sure he played the next week against Port.

Fremantle were the oldest team to play on the weekend. 26 years 9 months.

At a guess I'd say they have just had a big training load in finals preparation and thought the game was won before they played it. Total disrespect for the Saints.

As for Fremantle's born 1990 and on. They would struggle in the VFL.

So that would include Fyfe, Barlow, Hill, Neale, Walters, de Boer, Ibbotson, Suban and Clarke? Pretty sure most of them would walk into any team, including yours.

I'm trying to figure out exactly where Freo's outstanding performances have been this season. Because, from here, it looks like that team is pretty much just going, much like Geelong.

As pointed out before, our average winning margins have been significantly greater than yours.

As pointed out before, our average winning margins have been significantly greater than yours.
You have had 3 fairly large wins against low quality opposition that has inflated that particular statistic, maybe unrealistically.

I agree with the poster you quoted, Freo have hardly been outstanding this season, a performance like Saturdays was always coming upon them. It remains to be seen if this will spur them to lift across the board or spell the end of their tilt at glory.

St Kilda is rebuilding, and doing so virtually from scratch, as has been admitted since the preseason.

We know where we are, and we know there has been pain this season and there will be more pain ahead, which makes putting your mob to the sword as sweet as any Flag!

lol, reach for the stars mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be precise, it's 20 points better.

Thanks, Einstein.

I would have thought that a Bulldogs fan might have appreciated how teams that have to go the long way to the Preliminary Final tend to run out of legs against the opponent that has had a week off, given that the Dogs were outscored in the second half in each of the 2008/09/10 PFs and coughed up a half time lead in two of them.

Since the current format was introduced, of the 28 PFs that have been played the SF winner has outscored the QF winner in the second half in 7 of those games (with a few of those being when the game was over at halftime: see Sydney v Fremantle last year and Geelong v Collingwood in 2010). And how many times has the SF winner overcome a halftime deficit to win the Preliminary Final, under the current format? The answer is once: West Coast over Adelaide in 2006. Geelong wasn't good enough to be the second last year, unfortunately.

Going by history, if you made the Preliminary Final via the Semi Final and you're losing at half time, you may as well pack your bags.

Crippled huh? Pretty sure he played the next week against Port.

He played through pain from about Round 5 onwards in 2013. Even if you don't remember this being a weekly discussion point - you obviously don't - you just need to look at his output in 2012, 2013 and this year to see that something was off for Hawkins in 2013.

I think the game against St Kilda was an aberration at this stage. The biggest concerns I'd have from that game from Fremantle's point of view would be the inability of anyone in the midfield to show any sort of leadership to stem the flow and the form/fitness of Luke McPharlin.

Sandilands, Ballantyne, Hill and possibly Walters coming back in will make a difference no doubt but I don't remember Freo's mids getting belted quite like that when all 3 of Mundy, Barlow and Fyfe were playing nor their tall defenders getting pantsed with McPharlin, Dawson and Johnson in the team.

On form there isn't a huge difference between Hawthorn, Fremantle, Geelong and Port at the moment with Sydney looking a couple of rungs better than anyone else. That can all change over the next 6 weeks leading to finals depending on injuries/suspensions so I'm not putting a line through any of them.

Thanks, Einstein.

I would have thought that a Bulldogs fan might have appreciated how teams that have to go the long way to the Preliminary Final tend to run out of legs against the opponent that has had a week off, given that the Dogs were outscored in the second half in each of the 2008/09/10 PFs and coughed up a half time lead in two of them.

Since the current format was introduced, of the 28 PFs that have been played the SF winner has outscored the QF winner in the second half in 7 of those games (with a few of those being when the game was over at halftime: see Sydney v Fremantle last year and Geelong v Collingwood in 2010). And how many times has the SF winner overcome a halftime deficit to win the Preliminary Final, under the current format? The answer is once: West Coast over Adelaide in 2006. Geelong wasn't good enough to be the second last year, unfortunately.

Going by history, if you made the Preliminary Final via the Semi Final and you're losing at half time, you may as well pack your bags.

Maybe you should do the same analysis on teams leading by three or more goals at the last break in a prelim.

Maybe you should do the same analysis on teams leading by three or more goals at the last break in a prelim.

That are absolutely shot and are fortunate to be in front at the time? I'll see if I can find the time and get back to you on that one.

Geelong gave it absolutely everything and ultimately lost because the players didn't have a final 10 minute burst left in them. If we had made the grand final, we would have pinched that game from Hawthorn. Ultimately, I'm happy with the effort they gave that night as a team. The Qualifying Final loss was the one that was extremely costly. Win that and we get a Sydney side that was even more cooked than we were, Chapman doesn't get suspended and Hawkins gets a week to rest his back.

Hilarious thread.

Geelong supporters offended by our recent domination of them trying to sink the boot in.
Saints supporters heaping on the trash talk about how Freo haven't been that impressive this year despite having one of the best percentages prior to this round.

Among other things....

I think Carlton better be on their game - I would expect a pretty intense Freo to show up at Pattersons in 10 days time. The response will provide 1000 times more information than this aberration will.

Here is another interesting fact - Freo have lost every interstate match this year that involved a 6 day break. In each of the games they have lost after a short break they have looked off the pace physically.

Example 1 - Played Gold Coast Round 2, Saturday night. Backed it up with a Friday night fixture vs Hawks in Round 3.
Example 2 - After a 9 day break, Freo destroy Essendon in Round 4 at home, but have to back this up with a 6 day trip to Sydney - they lose.
Example 3 - Freo lose to Port in a very tight match, they travelled to Adelaide on a 6 day break to Play Port in Round 8, after a tough Derby encounter in Round 7.

Then you have this match - played on a 6 day break and travelling. The trend cannot be ignored, even though I can already hear the muppets that say teams should be able to cope with travelling / short breaks and that it isn't an excuse. Well the data says otherwise.

There is only exception to this trend - Freo losing to North in Round 6. This particular result is the one that frustrates me the most. Freo should have won this game, but very poor delivery inside 50 cost them dearly.

We know where we are, and we know there has been pain this season and there will be more pain ahead, which makes putting your mob to the sword as sweet as any Flag!

Really?

It's going to be pretty anticlimactic if we finally win a flag and I discover it's no more enjoyable than the occasional upset win we used to pull off when we were crap.

Hilarious thread.

Geelong supporters offended by our recent domination of them trying to sink the boot in.
Saints supporters heaping on the trash talk about how Freo haven't been that impressive this year despite having one of the best percentages prior to this round.

Among other things....

I think Carlton better be on their game - I would expect a pretty intense Freo to show up at Pattersons in 10 days time. The response will provide 1000 times more information than this aberration will.

Here is another interesting fact - Freo have lost every interstate match this year that involved a 6 day break. In each of the games they have lost after a short break they have looked off the pace physically.

Example 1 - Played Gold Coast Round 2, Saturday night. Backed it up with a Friday night fixture vs Hawks in Round 3.
Example 2 - After a 9 day break, Freo destroy Essendon in Round 4 at home, but have to back this up with a 6 day trip to Sydney - they lose.
Example 3 - Freo lose to Port in a very tight match, they travelled to Adelaide on a 6 day break to Play Port in Round 8, after a tough Derby encounter in Round 7.

Then you have this match - played on a 6 day break and travelling. The trend cannot be ignored, even though I can already hear the muppets that say teams should be able to cope with travelling / short breaks and that it isn't an excuse. Well the data says otherwise.

There is only exception to this trend - Freo losing to North in Round 6. This particular result is the one that frustrates me the most. Freo should have won this game, but very poor delivery inside 50 cost them dearly.

That was a back to back 6 day break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back