putting the ball on the ground for time off

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm not sure it ever was a rule.
The rule was that umpires signal time off if in their opinion there is going to be an unwarranted delay.
If it's a shot on goal there really is no reason to call time off, you get 30 seconds to take your shot and can do whatever you want during that time.

Brian Schmutt

Debutant
Jun 28, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
NO PLAYER can dictate how were manage the game in-play. NOBODY. If I want to blow off or blow on, I don't need Buddy Franklin's permission. In fact, he doesn't even need to be there in person.

frenchfri12

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
NO PLAYER can dictate how were manage the game in-play. NOBODY. If I want to blow off or blow on, I don't need Buddy Franklin's permission. In fact, he doesn't even need to be there in person.

Except how back in 2008~ish when you put the ball on the ground the clock (NOT the 30 second shot clock) was stopped until you picked it up again.

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Except how back in 2008~ish when you put the ball on the ground the clock (NOT the 30 second shot clock) was stopped until you picked it up again.
Only if the umpire signalled time off, the ump was always in control, the clock didn't automatically stop like it does for a goal/bounce/throw in.
There was no rule, it was just interpreted that way by the umps - that if the ball left the players hands then it meant a delay in play and so time off was called, just like it was for any other unwarranted delays. The 30sec shot clock now trumps this.

Back