QAFA (A) - 2014 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

A 72 yr old playing for redcliffe-- nice work spades.
Hey banana, I feel for you not being able to watch today's game. I didn't realise that the work for the dole program involved working on Saturdays. You missed out on reacquainting yourself with some old Beenleigh friends and getting to know some of the buffs players whom you'll be supporting next year

Sometimes I feel like I'm 72 lol

Big shout out to Webby and all the Roosters for a great day out for the inaugural Uni Cup yesterday which they will keep at Alexander Park for the next 12 months.
With 11 guys out we struggled in the seniors but that is no excuse - the Roosters were good - really good. Their ability to make space and move the ball was seriously impressive. IMO their top billing is justified.
Fabulous to see a crowded leader board and equally good that there are a few new faces in there. Next few weeks promise some really good footy as the fight for the top five hits its straps!!

Last edited:

I seen a 1 sided 1 v 4 yesterday. GM absolutely outstanding. From where I sat no one would have come close to them.

Uni weren't terrible, they just didn't have any chance without the ball and GM looked to have runners everywhere .

I was super impressed by the skill set even late in the game. If that's the benchmark then this comp is growing stronger I think .

Both coaches spoke really well the playing group from both groups show alot of respect to there coaches . The score aside I enjoyed watching this game yesterday.

Now to some serious business will there be a merger ?

Last edited:
Either a whole new team or a merger but the Rumours are it will be called south east suns. Possibly linked to the Gold Coast Suns somehow.

I know this will hardly link in with each other at all, however I know that towards the end of 2012 that they were trying to get an Under 18s team going which was going to be referred to as "Southern Suns" from memory. I attended two meetings at Logan I'm pretty sure where they spoke about where they were intending to get players from, what they wanted to do sponsor wise, guernsey wise and a whole bunch of other things. There definitely was a fair bit of planning put into it, however it just never went any further than that. And I suppose it's nothing on those who were trying to get that started because starting up a whole new side, especially as a merger can't be easy business. It's a little different though if we're talking seniors because if you put the Logan/Beenleigh seniors together, you're going to have a lot of players where when it was attempted for an U18 team, lack of numbers was one of the biggest things. I haven't been around Logan for about 4-5 years now so I don't know who is still around for the seniors, though it will be a sad day if they do need to merge. I hope that it doesn't need to happen, but you also don't want thrashings in any competition you know? You want to have overall a strong competition from top to bottom, where you know that there is always a chance of some brilliant matches.

Ok, as I see it. I received a call from the Cobras president on Friday evening. It was regarding another matter. I aluded to the merger talk . Prez. responded by saying yes he had talks. His words not necessarily word for word.- "Buffs aren't wanted in Dauth park, no longer getting grants, want to merge".
Prez. said he was leaning towards a merger but now had second thoughts, and was leaning the other way.
Now, if Beenleigh are not wanted in the sports clubhouse , aren't getting money from the sports club, the only thing they can offer is some players (most will refuse to join the UFC. your words not mine.) and pick up some committee members.
The only benefit to the Cobras would be an influx of players.(Not much talent) and perhaps a few more committee.
The Cobras ran on the smell of an oily rag last year and were financially sound. (I know that for a fact)
The biggest problem they have is lack of committee members, and helpers on game day.
Onfield they are mediocre, but we know that waxes and wanes from year to year.(It was only 5 or so years ago they were wooden spooners with one win.) and its a stretch for numbers currently, but that not so unusual.
When the QAFL (Richard Griffiths CEO at the time) gave KIWI the ok to start a new club, he should have listened to us. Another new club isn't necessarily better for AFL in the long term. Especially so close to us. We have almost come full circle. As I said before- Back to the future!

Ok, as I see it. I received a call from the Cobras president on Friday evening. It was regarding another matter. I aluded to the merger talk . Prez. responded by saying yes he had talks. His words not necessarily word for word.- "Buffs aren't wanted in Dauth park, no longer getting grants, want to merge".

The Cobras ran on the smell of an oily rag last year and were financially sound. (I know that for a fact)
The biggest problem they have is lack of committee members, and helpers on game day.
Onfield they are mediocre, but we know that waxes and wanes from year to year.(It was only 5 or so years ago they were wooden spooners with one win.) and its a stretch for numbers currently, but that not so unusual.
When the QAFL (Richard Griffiths CEO at the time) gave KIWI the ok to start a new club, he should have listened to us. Another new club isn't necessarily better for AFL in the long term. Especially so close to us. We have almost come full circle. As I said before- Back to the future!
Cobras president and his comment was "wait and see" that there is a lot of work to do and if a formal proposal is presented "the committee will decide upon the matter then" he also said that both clubs were too close and the synergies from committee combinations would be beneficial, that one club in the catchment from Springwood to Coomera made sense"

Last edited:
Beenleigh appears to have little other options, so it might be a takeover - Brisbane Lions style, but dressed up as a 'merger'
BeenLeigh dont need the merger .They have juniors ,youth and 2 seniors teams .The seniors are struggling this year but that happens in footy.As for the sports club the buffs still receive sponsorship and do raffles which they do very well out of .For football to grow in this area both clubs need to push this to survive .

that's interesting, are you sure peak hour traffic didn't distort the word on the street. Word in the carpark is that they have two venues with 3 ovals.
correct !!!
carpark gossip says juniors to play at Dauth (1 oval) seniors to play from Tansey (2 Ovals) second oval at Tansey set for Major upgrade soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BeenLeigh dont need the merger .They have juniors ,youth and 2 seniors teams .The seniors are struggling this year but that happens in footy.As for the sports club the buffs still receive sponsorship and do raffles which they do very well out of .For football to grow in this area both clubs need to push this to survive .
Sorry bud, I've missed your point are you saying Beenleigh don't need the merger? But then saying both clubs need to push for a merger to survive? which is correct?

Call me crazy but if the buffs or cobs are on struggle street, why not drop down a division. Instead of a dumb merger.

I seen a 1 sided 1 v 4 yesterday. GM absolutely outstanding. From where I sat no one would have come close to them.

Uni weren't terrible, they just didn't have any chance without the ball and GM looked to have runners everywhere .

I was super impressed by the skill set even late in the game. If that's the benchmark then this comp is growing stronger I think .

Both coaches spoke really well the playing group from both groups show alot of respect to there coaches . The score aside I enjoyed watching this game yesterday.

Now to some serious business will there be a merger ?

Curious as to who u are QFF ? Good to watch a very polished performance from the roosters yesterday . Amazing what a difference a full strength side does . From an outsiders point of view QFF give us ure top 5 . I will be a very interested spectator at the uni Ipswich game this week . Can have a lot of Bearing on 5th position .
Can someone please put the merger rumours to bed . Those 2 clubs between them have played 5 of the last 6 grand finals and now one bad year and they need to merge seems a bit over the top to me ?

Sorry bud, I've missed your point are you saying Beenleigh don't need the merger? But then saying both clubs need to push for a merger to survive? which is correct?
Banana maybe if you read the forums properly you would understand my comment.The bagging beenleigh have been given is unfair .Let me put it plainly for you so you can understand .FOR FOOTY TO SURVIVE IN THIS AREA AND GROW THEY NEED TO MERGE LOOK FORWARD NOT BACKWARDS

Hey fellas last season we only had 4 teams in finals. Anyone know if it is still 4 teams or is it 5? Cheers.
Hi mate,

I believe it is top 5 this year. I think the top 3 are settled but should be interesting to see who takes out position 4 and 5. Whats your prediction for position 4 and 5 and who do you think will be premiers this year?

What are peoples thoughts on 1 team clubs being allowed to play in a higher league?

Eg. Wynnum, or Woodsmen or Jimboomba playing in the QAFA Comp without fielding a reserves side?

Would existing clubs welcome the occasional extra week of for their ressies, or would it just never work?

Been watching more and more footy this year across different divisions and I'm convinced that there are sides in QAFA B that would be extremely competitive in QAFA A. I'm not sure I agree with AFLQ headquarters that you need to field a ressies side to go up a division - the standard of your senior side should be the determining factor.

What are peoples thoughts on 1 team clubs being allowed to play in a higher league?

Eg. Wynnum, or Woodsmen or Jimboomba playing in the QAFA Comp without fielding a reserves side?

Would existing clubs welcome the occasional extra week of for their ressies, or would it just never work?

Been watching more and more footy this year across different divisions and I'm convinced that there are sides in QAFA B that would be extremely competitive in QAFA A. I'm not sure I agree with AFLQ headquarters that you need to field a ressies side to go up a division - the standard of your senior side should be the determining factor.
If the ressies only play 1 in 3 weeks we would end up all club fielding 1 team guys would leave not enough footy IMO 2 teams or no go

I'm with you hoffhearted... i'm sick of all this Logan and Beenleigh talk! Time to move on...

As I posted earlier I think the top 5 for seniors will be:

1) Griffith Moorooka
2) Redcliffe
3) Pine Rivers
4) UQ
5) Ipswich

Grand Final: Griffith Moorooka V Redcliffe
Premiers: Griffith Moorooka (should be a cracker of a game and Redcliffe will throw everything at them but Moorooka are too strong in all areas)

And for the Ressies comp:

1) Redcliffe
2) UQ
3) Pine Rivers
4) Ipswich
5) Griffith Moorooka

Grand Final: UQ V Redcliffe
Premiers: UQ (only because they will have a full strength team with all the uni boys returning from uni holidays/etc)

Agree/ Disagree?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back