QAFA (A) 2015 season

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the Carrara ground is no worse off than the Moorooka ground (in terms of what you mention)?? Is this a Saints decision to not play at home? Surely they would get a sponsor or 5 to tip in for home final, they are great down there... Smells fishy to me!!

What's the deal with complaining about finals venues on nearly all threads. What about applying the Ross Lyon mantra of " we will play them anywhere, anytime".
Cup of cement anyone?

except Ross Lyon / Freo don't have to worry about raising $$ do they TT. Home finals are a great revenue raiser for local footy clubs.

Unless things have changed anyone could have submitted an application to host finals including Carrara. I believe minimum requirements are 4 change rooms, plus umpires rooms (male AND female), be able to fence off the ground (enough to satisfy the league at least) and a short list of other non negotiables.

In 2013 we had the opportunity to host the first final but the $1500 was a risk considering not all teams travel with big crowds, and if your team is playing (especially in both grades) you find volunteers hard to come by.

So we passed and also played at Wynnum, which led to both teams in the GF's and a senior premiership.

In the end as long as it's not the other teams home ground I don't see the issue. Both teams have to play on the same ground.

Unless things have changed anyone could have submitted an application to host finals including Carrara. I believe minimum requirements are 4 change rooms, plus umpires rooms (male AND female), be able to fence off the ground (enough to satisfy the league at least) and a short list of other non negotiables.
In 2013 we had the opportunity to host the first final but the $1500 was a risk considering not all teams travel with big crowds, and if your team is playing (especially in both grades) you find volunteers hard to come by. So we passed and also played at Wynnum, which led to both teams in the GF's and a senior premiership. In the end as long as it's not the other teams home ground I don't see the issue. Both teams have to play on the same ground.

I agree swoop, Obviously we at Wynnum did apply to host some finals and won through because of the above things you have mentioned.
But in regards to your final comment, that might be the case when talking about two reasonable local teams but in this case is immensely unfair to Carrara.
Especially considering that all season Vicky Point have been a team that have not traveled particularly well.
So the saints can feel very hard done by in regards to the staging of the final, but when it comes to umpires I still go back to earlier comments in this thread by several people. Saints have developed a reputation over the season and i think the umpires have seen this. Fair or not, you tend to reap what you sow.
But for me i hope the saints have a big win on Saturday!

except Ross Lyon / Freo don't have to worry about raising $$ do they TT. Home finals are a great revenue raiser for local footy clubs.
I was referring purely to the football aspect of things. I think swoopas post sums it up very well, all clubs had the chance to host providing their facilities were up to hosting and they were prepared to fork out cash for the right-- obviously not all clubs could meet those terms.

I agree swoop, Obviously we at Wynnum did apply to host some finals and won through because of the above things you have mentioned.
But in regards to your final comment, that might be the case when talking about two reasonable local teams but in this case is immensely unfair to Carrara.
Especially considering that all season Vicky Point have been a team that have not traveled particularly well.
So the saints can feel very hard done by in regards to the staging of the final, but when it comes to umpires I still go back to earlier comments in this thread by several people. Saints have developed a reputation over the season and i think the umpires have seen this. Fair or not, you tend to reap what you sow.
But for me i hope the saints have a big win on Saturday!
Fair enough, I'm not 100% across the results but I guess your point of teams ability to travel is valid particularly given the additional hour it has on Carrara. In saying that I'm sure the Vic Point boys would travel better regardless given it is a final. I'm sure AFLQ would have moved the game further south had a viable option been available.

Finals and grounds is always a discussion point especially when sides are forced to play across 2 different grounds when both make finals. It makes it tough for all involved but they make it clear early that it's a non negotiable. If your teams qualify in different finals, be prepared to play at different grounds.

In regards to the umpires I agree at times you reap what you sew, but with that said they don't call out players for not doing anything wrong at all. If your club has had a bad run with them, the instructions should be clear- give the ball back and don't argue.

Speaking of having it rough, I was pinged for high contact this weekend by an umpire 50m away for patting a guy on the back and then the head while we both laughed about a contest we were just in. He refused to accept it and even with his team mates assuring the umpire there was no malice he eventually was forced to take the kick! So, we all have a rough day sometimes

Last edited:
It's pretty funny how much talk there's been about Pine Rivers on here. They'll wanna be able to play with the amount of talk they've been doing.

It's also good to see Carrara are doing as much on this forum as they'll be doing on the feild. Absolutely nothing.

Nothing on the field great comment(love pre season posts) finishing fourth in seniors and on top in twos was certainly a nothing year for us I think.

Carrarra have finished the year with money in the bank and success on field.
The club has a strong core of juniors and has turned over in excess of 80 senior and reserve players this year and more importantly not played one player on permit and been in position to lend players to other clubs. that's where improvement has come from.
looking forward to final at Wynnum on Saturday my attitude is Grand Finals are played on neutral grounds so lets start our finals campaign on a neutral one.
Most people see it as a two horse race for the finals but 3 other sides who might not be as good as other sides will be having a red hot crack. Finals footy is what its all about and as a Saints supporter im looking forward to it. Good luck to everyone playing in finals hope your clubs get the most that they can out of it and to those who have finished thank you for the year.

What is with all the whinging.

Carrara obviously didnt apply or couldnt host their final.

Did any other team on the GC put in applications to host a final? I dont imagine many clubs are applying to host finals for other teams like Wynnum seem to do every year, credit to them, but I would hardly think AFLQ are out to get Carrara.

Even if we aren't capable of paying the fee, surely they could at least find a ground on the coast so we don't have to travel so far away, especially seeing as we earnt the right to a home final.

Not sure you "earn" much by finishing 4th in a top 5 finals system. I mean the Suns finished 3rd and don't get a guaranteed home final. Maybe it should be 2 vs 5 and 3 vs 4 the first week of the finals, giving 2nd and 3rd getting some reward for finishing higher on the ladder.

More variables at the Saints, I.e fencing issues, parking etc.
Not having a crack, but it has been fairly clear for a while that this was the final that the Saints were going to feature in. If the club wanted the home final they probably should have thought ahead, addressed the parking, fencing, whatever issues and bid for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ipswich and roosters are still in shock by being beaten by the umpires. The record books will say we won but both us and ippy will always know that the umpires had far more control of the game than 44 players ever could.

Ruined a good game. The worst of my 30 years playing.

Geez you go away to Sydney for one week end and all Hell breaks loose. They were obviously much worse than me Morro???? I really didn't think that was possible!!!!!

Geez you go away to Sydney for one week end and all Hell breaks loose. They were obviously much worse than me Morro???? I really didn't think that was possible!!!!!
haha all Jokes aside Moro, you are reasonable and like everyone make mistakes, that is all part of being human but the umpires we had on Saturday were dead set the worst I have seen in my life. Both teams were literally laughing about it after the game.

I know you love to bag on your own ability mate, but from what I have seen this year, and I get to quite a few games, you are easily the best umpire going round in the QAFA division. Do you know which final you have got this week ?? A couple of big games, with Moorooka v Suns, Zillmere v Woodsmen and Vic Pt v Carrara.

Not sure you "earn" much by finishing 4th in a top 5 finals system. I mean the Suns finished 3rd and don't get a guaranteed home final. Maybe it should be 2 vs 5 and 3 vs 4 the first week of the finals, giving 2nd and 3rd getting some reward for finishing higher on the ladder.
Are you dumb? 2nd and 3rd get a double chance that's better than a home final.

Carrara would be happy to have you umpire our game this week haha, both games you have done have been the most even umpired games we've had!

haha all Jokes aside Moro, you are reasonable and like everyone make mistakes, that is all part of being human but the umpires we had on Saturday were dead set the worst I have seen in my life. Both teams were literally laughing about it after the game.

Way too much luv for my liking ...... but as you said I have never claimed to be perfect (actually far from it) just try to do the best I can so you boys get a fair and decent game, so thanks for the positive comments from you boys. It is very unfortunate about what happened on the week end and I never comment unless I witness the game but in saying that I can appreciate what you have said.

When umpiring, just like playing it can come down to who your team mate is. I know there are some umpires who I team well with and some that it is a bit of a challenge. As many have said before it's about consistency and it can be harder than it sounds for us in the Lime team to achieve that.

But enough of this umpiring talk (I hope we have a finals series with out umpiring dramas) this thread should be about you blokes the players and what a great finals series is coming up. Good Luck to the teams playing finals may the best team win

Completely agree Blocker, and wonder why the umpires that umpire at lower levels are so precious?? They wouldnt last 2 minutes in a state league game. Why is this the case ?? Is this because they have only umpired under age games, and think that is how senior games should be umpired ?? Didn't any of them ever play footy themselves ??

Hey Nut & Blocker ....... can understand where you and the "big" blocker are coming from but sometimes we need to be "precious" as the lower level games are usually where new umpires are appointed and can cop some serious abuse and then in turn walk away from umpiring. In my opinion if you let something happen one week the players think it's ok the next and if they get an inexperienced umpire or new umpire the next week it can cause problems.

In my case ....... no I don't umpire under age games except the occasional Colts game and I did play the game for many years in these competitions.

Does it make me better than someone who never played????? Not necessarily but I agree with what I think you're saying that it gives me a better feel for the game. In the end I think it's a bit like playing to the weather conditions in that you also need to play to the "umpiring" conditions (I hope that makes some sense)

Again I understand where you're coming from

Remove this Banner Ad

Back