QAFA (B) Central-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

So what impact does the rain have tonight? Slow the speedsters down? Bigger bodies have the advantage?

It might be light at the moment, but you get this all day and the fields may be a bit more than "slippery".

The Wynnum team doesn't look all that different from the last meeting between the 2 sides.

The Woodsmen team appears to have improved a little with some key inclusions, although they are missing Monaghan.

On that basis, and with this rain as well - I predict a fairly comfortable win for the Woodsmen in a low scoring affair.

The Woodsmen have only had more than 50 points kicked against them twice in an entire season of predominantly dry weather footy, and nothing over 60. Just seems that they are very adept at preventing opposition sides from getting the ball in the red zone and keeping it there.

Wet weather footy tonight, changes everything
With a week off, I think woodsmen might be a bit slow out of the blocks. Wynnum played in the wet last week and have a bit of game time & touch. I think this will be a very close contest. Gillett will dominate tonight in & under. Good night to be a defender, crap night to be a tall forward which woodsmen have named!
Sandgate have been brought back into the contest, Jimboomba are great in space & on the run, Sandgate prefer a slow game tough around the contest.

Goodluck to all teams, looked forward to watching some good footy tonight.

The Wynnum team doesn't look all that different from the last meeting between the 2 sides.

The Woodsmen team appears to have improved a little with some key inclusions, although they are missing Monaghan.

On that basis, and with this rain as well - I predict a fairly comfortable win for the Woodsmen in a low scoring affair.

The Woodsmen have only had more than 50 points kicked against them twice in an entire season of predominantly dry weather footy, and nothing over 60. Just seems that they are very adept at preventing opposition sides from getting the ball in the red zone and keeping it there.
For our sake I hope your wrong :)

Of course I'm tipping wynnum, by 2. in a tough and tight game in the wet (very wet) As I work 5 min from yeronga and it hasn't stopped raining for three hours now.

The other one will be tight as well and I'm kinda leaning towards jimboomba by less than a goal as well

Wet weather footy tonight, changes everything
Good night to be a defender, crap night to be a tall forward which woodsmen have named!

They have also named 4 emergencies. If Thommo42 really lines up at FF in this weather, I'll eat my hat.

They have Nipper named as an emergency, who is an elite medium forward who kicked about 60 goals in the 09 Premiership season. Didn't know he was still playing.

He kicked 8 in the 2007 GF against Logan as well, when they won the premiership from 4th or 5th on the ladder.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...&sID=56333&articleID=4885684&news_task=DETAIL

It was a disappointing finish for Logan, who saw captain-coach Greg Brookes win the competition best and fairest medal and John Ryan take the goalkicking award with 53 majors for the season.

They had no answer on grand final day to unstoppable Western Magpie Dean Nipperess, who kicked eight goals and was named best-on-ground.

Last edited:
They have also named 4 emergencies. If Thommo42 really lines up at FF in this weather, I'll eat my hat.

They have Nipper named as an emergency, who is an elite medium forward who kicked about 60 goals in the 09 Premiership season. Didn't know he was still playing.

He kicked 8 in the 2007 GF against Logan as well, when they won the premiership from 5th on the ladder.

I think its nippers brother QAFL_Fan. They have different first names.

ahh, there you go then.

Didn't realise there were 2 of them, not sure if the brother is as good!

The Nipper I am talking about is an absolute gun!

No offence to Craig, but he isnt quite as good as Dean!

While we would love to have Nipper running around for us, he gave the game away a few years back to focus on golf, which is strange as he's not much of a golfer!

One of the most talented guys you will ever see, I do put a call in at the start and mid point of every season...never get a positive reply :(

Wasted talent, should never have been.playing with us anyway.

good luck to all teams tonight loving the same venue set up great for a spectator.

sandgate by 10 points
woodsmen by less than a goal

No offence to Craig, but he isnt quite as good as Dean!

While we would love to have Nipper running around for us, he gave the game away a few years back to focus on golf, which is strange as he's not much of a golfer!

One of the most talented guys you will ever see, I do put a call in at the start and mid point of every season...never get a positive reply :(

Wasted talent, should never have been.playing with us anyway.

He was a talent wasn't he? THAT was the year the Western Magpies wanted to raid our stocks ('07). Half the side with ex-U18's who couldn't/didn't want to commit to the seniors training regime, combined with the other half of blokes that gave it away too early cause of the same reason.

For mine:

Redbacks
Woodsmen (with no margin, 1 will do)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sandgate have a few big ins tonight clayton and forbes. Both are very experienced and really good football players. On that small field I think Forbes with his big body will be hard to stop and will take attention off Widt. Stopping one of them from kicking 5 or 6 is possible. But one of them will kick a bag on that field. Jimboomba seem to have the same team as the last few weeks and Sandgate need to stop Watson and R Heppell from wining all the ball in the middle and try and stop Harley and Murray from kicking a bag. I really cant pick this one it could go either way.

Wynnum vs woodsmen is another tight one.But i think Woodsmen will be hard to beat in rainy conditions .I think if Fenton and Ferguson are shut down they dont seem to have many other options to score. Maybe Sowinski or J clark. But as stated by aflq fan woodsmen dont seem to get scored against a lot (in dry weather) and have a strong back line. In the middle Gillett and Mccoy ( both extremely good footy players) are going to be a big factor if Wynnum are to cause an upset. Gillett is a great ball winner and feeds the outside runners. Mccoy is athletic with great skills. Though I rate Vaughan think he will struggle with the hard hitting footy to be played tonight. Dobson and Micka are quality players for woodsmen, dobson is always constantly good, hard at it and doesn't miss a target. Micka hits hard and when he is on can dominate play. Not sure who the other player they had named in the middle, Noodles? real name? If Wynnum can contain those two, than they will also have to stop j. baker 62 goals in 12 matches. Plus he is named as an emergence but i think d. hamill will be playing ( unless injured). Another big key foward.

The one thing about Woodsmen and Jimboomba you can guarantee is that they will put their head over the ball and they will hit hard and it will hurt. Maybe Sandgate could match Jimboomba. ( not to sure though). But I hope Wynnum aren't going to try and go out and match it with Woodsmen at body contact. Even with the rain they need to move the ball around and run the woodsmen off their legs. The facts tell me Woodsmen will win but i really hope there is an upset and than the finals are wide open. I want Jimboomba to knock off Sandgate because I think they have more chance of beating Wynnum or Woodsmen.

claydon and forbes good ins for sandgate. hopefully they rock up with a full team this week and have a crack, thomas out though there goes some run.

Sandgate played hard attacking football last night and I think showed the rest of the competition they are still a real chance for the flag. Forbes and widt really showed their class. But it was a great team effort all round. Jimboomba's watto won all the ball as usual but wasn't back up by the rest of the team. Sandgate were harder and tougher at the ball. ( where was that the week before )

Wynnum finished within 15 points against the woodsmen and got within 1 in the last quarter. But I would say 5 of wynnum goals came from 50 metre or soft ( no existent free kicks ). But saying that woodsmen got a couple goals that way too. Very strange umpiring at different stages last night. Woodsmen were to hard and wanted it more at the important times. And a few of the wynnum boys refused to put their heads over the ball. Very entertaining game though.

Sandgate v wynnum next week will be a cracker. Wynnum have not lost to Sandgate and go in as big favourites. But if Sandgate can play that high intensity hard body contact footy like they played last night. Wynnum will be in trouble.

great night of footy, sandgate lost a man in the first 5 minutes but still had plenty of legs, jimboomba were hard at it as always but sanfgate matched the rough stuff if not beat them. wynnum and woodsmen was a great fast paced game especially in the wet conditions. looking forward to wynnum and sandgate rematch. 3rd time in 5 weeks these guys have met.

It's a bit quiet for the day after two big games! I sense an imposed media ban for the week....
Hats off to Jimboomba. As expected it was a hard hit out played in the right spirits. Good effort from our boys being 2 down from H/T onwards.
I must say the umpiring was a complete joke....refusing to speak to players when asked if a player sent off could be replaced for 8 minutes in the 3rd. We had to send our runner to grab the aflq representative from the other game... 17 players were on the field until he got there. At the start of the 4th Jomboomba had 19 on for a couple of mins. We called for a count the whole time. Once again the umpire told us to piss off.... He then watched him run off and forced us to line up for a count despite us saying "don't bother now, you just saw him run off".
It's a tough gig, with few people putting their hands up to do it. But surely respect goes both ways?

That whole red card send off was a farce nobody even knew it even happened including the interchange stewards of both sides and the head count should have happened at the start of the quarter when our captain asked the umpire to complete the count. I could have accepted a stuff up there and got the guy off no harm done instead the dill of an umpire didn't listen to our captain and lets the ball bounce and we play for about a minute before he stops it and he lets the extra guy on the wing run right past him off to the bench...Its in the laws of the game captains can ask for a head count both those umpires should not do anymore finals full stop period they are woeful...and I'm sick of this rot about needing to be nice to umpires at this level we pay there wages out of game fees so show us a bit of respect for once stop talking to us like naughty children and treat us like men come into the rooms before the game and introduce yourselves to the players and show a bit of interest have a beer or soft drink after the game it just seems these guys rock up collect the pay cheque and slink off into the night !!!

It's a bit quiet for the day after two big games! I sense an imposed media ban for the week....
Hats off to Jimboomba. As expected it was a hard hit out played in the right spirits. Good effort from our boys being 2 down from H/T onwards.
I must say the umpiring was a complete joke....refusing to speak to players when asked if a player sent off could be replaced for 8 minutes in the 3rd. We had to send our runner to grab the aflq representative from the other game... 17 players were on the field until he got there. At the start of the 4th Jomboomba had 19 on for a couple of mins. We called for a count the whole time. Once again the umpire told us to piss off.... He then watched him run off and forced us to line up for a count despite us saying "don't bother now, you just saw him run off".
It's a tough gig, with few people putting their hands up to do it. But surely respect goes both ways?

Well played Sandgate! Another rematch between us. This time all the way out at Collingwood Park which is a complete joke. An absolute mile away from either team and all our supporters. maybe they thought Jimboomba would definitely win last night.
I am sorry to announce that "Aker"...i mean Swampy is on a complete media ban this week. I know it is very disappointing and will probably mean for a very quiet week on the forum.
Let ourselves down badly in the second quarter against woodsmen, which was the real difference. Did very well to come back into the game and get within a point in the last quarter, but was not to be. Well played to the Woodsmen boys, tough and mostly fair. Though dobbo's knee drop into swampy's leg was not real flash for such a good player.
I think you are being a bit harsh about the head over the ball comment there Footy80. If you go soft against Woodsmen they beat you by a lot more then 15 points, especially in the wet. After last night, give us a big, dry ground so we can use our run and fitness and I think we could really put it to them.
But we will forget about that for now and concentrate on Sandgate this week. 3 games in 5 weeks means we are just about all on nick-name basis with each other by now!

Yeah very quiet on here after a massive night of footy. I was expecting in depth write ups from Northsider and QAFL fan at the very least. Sounds like both games suffered from horrendous umpiring. From the games I saw throughout the year, there seemed to be pretty good umpiring in this grade for the most part. Where have they come up with these goons that are doing the finals. They should be the best umpires available doing finals. Or does this grade get screwed and cop the dregs and rubbish with the "higher" grades getting the better umps ??

That whole red card send off was a farce nobody even knew it even happened including the interchange stewards of both sides and the head count should have happened at the start of the quarter when our captain asked the umpire to complete the count. I could have accepted a stuff up there and got the guy off no harm done instead the dill of an umpire didn't listen to our captain and lets the ball bounce and we play for about a minute before he stops it and he lets the extra guy on the wing run right past him off to the bench...Its in the laws of the game captains can ask for a head count both those umpires should not do anymore finals full stop period they are woeful...and I'm sick of this rot about needing to be nice to umpires at this level we pay there wages out of game fees so show us a bit of respect for once stop talking to us like naughty children and treat us like men come into the rooms before the game and introduce yourselves to the players and show a bit of interest have a beer or soft drink after the game it just seems these guys rock up collect the pay cheque and slink off into the night !!!

If the player was "Red Carded" that means Automatic Report. What was the player charged with? And did the player accept a match ban? If it was a farce then the player should fight the charge.

It apparently happened late in the 2nd. Our guy was given one on the chin and put one back on him. The goal umpire only saw his reaction. When the ump spoke to him at the start of the 3rd, our guy accepted it really well. He has been offered a week and has accepted it. It was just terrible communication (or refusal to communicate) that made it farcical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back