QAFA (B) Central-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Mickapoulous in best handful every Woodsmen game I watched, and I don't recall hearing his name last night - so I don't think it's a reflection of the 'best' !

3 of the Top 4 players at Wynnum according to the umpires, Woodsmen 2 of the Top 5 and their 2nd and 3rd leading votegetters not playing finals at all. suggests they should be ripe for the picking, but not on the evidence of Friday night.

I imagine Wynnum or Sandgate would like another big downpour next week to give them a shot.

The real surprise for me is Watson from Jimboomba. They came into the finals winning 9 out of their last 10 or something. I would have thought he was was polling 2 or 3 in all those wins, and in their 8 point loss to the Woodsmen - the feedback from the guys on this forum was that he was dominant in that game too.

Well done to everyone. Certainly no surprise winners in the QFA North or South!

Good night last night. A little surprised by all the Wynnum blokes at the top. But I would also assume the Woodsmen blokes might have stolen votes of each other. Dobbo would have been my pick before last night. Was pretty dominate in the games against Yeronga. Watto has always been a great player, and I am continually surprised when he doesn't poll at these things. Razor Heppell usually gets his votes. As for our blokes, Armstrong (Charmo) played a few up this year so didn't have as many games in the thirds to poll. But we are generally not well liked by the umpires. After making the GF last year, we didn't have any players up there. Charmo played nearly every game last year. I too would like to see the full count to see if our big full forward Russ got any.

Stealing votes theory applies to Wynnum too, they had 3 of the top 4 taking them off each other... so a well deserved win.

Perhaps our depth hurts blokes who want to win individual medals, but there is only one medal we are chasing!

I really thought I was a good chance this year, shaking hands with umps before and after games, letting them in on my shouts...I played all my aces (apart from winning the footy) and I just didn't get there.

Thought the 6 votes I gave myself when I was club umpire in 2 games might just sneak me over the line :p

Holding out hope for the BOG medal on GF day, anyone know what those umpires favorite drink is?

Stealing votes theory applies to Wynnum too, they had 3 of the top 4 taking them off each other... so a well deserved win.

Perhaps our depth hurts blokes who want to win individual medals, but there is only one medal we are chasing!

I really thought I was a good chance this year, shaking hands with umps before and after games, letting them in on my shouts...I played all my aces (apart from winning the footy) and I just didn't get there.

Thought the 6 votes I gave myself when I was club umpire in 2 games might just sneak me over the line :p

Holding out hope for the BOG medal on GF day, anyone know what those umpires favorite drink is?
I think the boys were shocked, we had our money on G or Dobbo. After the 2013 some of us boys went through. To see a couple of younger lads get recognised after sticking it out, shows good character.

Didn't you know thommo, they drink xxxx gold. We've been buying them a carton each week all year ;)

you and macca can fight for that medal, I just wanna play in the dam game.

Question for the wynnum players. What is the standard of your team this year compared to your senior team last year ?

Question for the wynnum players. What is the standard of your team this year compared to your senior team last year ?
Much better, it's more of a team feel. We only lost a couple of players from last year, but picked up some really handy ones. Watching the divisions above us there is no doubt we can match it with the best in div 3 and be competitive with the lower end teams in div 2. But it's a long road back.

Last year was very different for us. It was very much a development time. There are several of our younger guys who had the expectation of carrying the team dumped on them last year, just because of our turnover at the end of 2012. This year you can see the difference in them. They have really grown as footballers and are playing much better with more confidence. As swampy says we have also gained some pretty handy players as well but for me it is great to see these younger players continue to develop. We would love to go up a division but the major issue for us is numbers for two teams.
But i can tell you playing in finals sure feels a lot better then being beaten by 100-200 points each week like we were last year.

Question without notice to all.

Does the Division stay at it is next year (ie number of clubs) or will there be changes? What is the strength of the other 2 QAFA B divisions and could there be changes there (eg merge)?

With talk of Wynnum wanting to climb (and more power to them if they do) and the annual Jimboomba "Yep we have 5,000 players on our books, more than enough for a higher division", will HQ want to change something after only 1 year?

I know the Woodsmen is a year to year proposition (Well it was in my time), so will it be a case of wait and see until next January as to who's keen?

The tea leaves suggest the following:

If no teams go up or pull out, and the expected inclusions of the likes of Mayne, a 3rds side from the Beenleigh/Logan merge and a few other rumoured 3rds side, or even new seniors sides then the competition will remain as QAFA B Central, but it will have 2 grades.

There is no way it can merge with north or south and maintain the Friday night culture that HQ is trying to develop.

QAFA B Central - Division 1:

Woodsmen
Wynnum
Sandgate
Jimboomba
Yeronga
Mayne (?)
Morningside (?)

QAFA B Central Division 2:

Collingwood Park
Springfield
Kedron
UQ
Kenmore
Beenleigh/Logan (?)
Rumoured new senior team (?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they're available to everyone, they just float about on the weekends at games when you listen to people chat away not knowing who is listening!

My guess is your info runs a lot deeper than overhearing casual conversations at games !!
I have to agree, I come here for the info not the banter ;)

But I can say that wynnum are going to do everything in there power to get back up to play Saturday football, not from a quality point of view, but Friday nights is hurting us as we want to progress and upgrade facilities. You crnt do that with one team playing Fridays.

Of all the teams 'promoted' from this division, only one of them has ever done so after actually winning a premiership or making a Grand Final - Pine Rivers.

Funnily enough, two former teams from this Division are the Grand Finalists this Saturday in QAFA A Seniors, and I'm not convinced either of them would beat Woodsmen or Wynnum. Coomera are also in QFA South after finishing 3rd in this Division, and so on...

Why is it not the best 2 teams go up a level and the worst 2 come down.

The clubs in this league who are a 3rds compared to a one team club have a huge disadvantage. untill the league evens it out the comp we will continue to have huge win/losses.

Why is it not the best 2 teams go up a level and the worst 2 come down.

The clubs in this league who are a 3rds compared to a one team club have a huge disadvantage. untill the league evens it out the comp we will continue to have huge win/losses.

Are u saying one team clubs have an advantage or clubs with a genuine "thirds" side have an advantage. Genuine "thirds" sides have to have the advantage with a much larger player base to pick from and the ability to filter players up and down as required.

One club teams have the advantage of obtaining and keeping better players. Yes a true 3rds team gets to on a occasions get players who can't play on Saturday but most of the time if a good player comes to our club unless he works weekends he will play in the higher team. And as said above the players that stick around and get better we loose to the teams above. Looking at the talent running around Friday night a lot of them would not be playing in our team.

Not quite right though Russ.

The only reason the 'good' players play for us is because we play Friday and have relaxed training requirements.

Even if we were an official 3rds club, those blokes most definitely wouldnt be poached by the higher grades, in many cases thats where they came from!

When we were the Magpies 3rds, they tried to pinch some players with no luck.

Most of the blokes in our team have families, or work jobs on Saturdays, or both. Some are realestate agents, some have played 15 years of senior footy and just want to relax!

I've got 4 kids for gods sake, my Saturdays are bloody hectic - get enough grief for even playing Friday!

Best of luck to both Sandgate & Wynnum tomorrow night. Looks like we might finally have some dry weather footy. Looking forward to getting out there and watching who our opponents will be in the GF!

Not quite right though Russ.

The only reason the 'good' players play for us is because we play Friday and have relaxed training requirements.

Even if we were an official 3rds club, those blokes most definitely wouldnt be poached by the higher grades, in many cases thats where they came from!

When we were the Magpies 3rds, they tried to pinch some players with no luck.

Most of the blokes in our team have families, or work jobs on Saturdays, or both. Some are realestate agents, some have played 15 years of senior footy and just want to relax!

I've got 4 kids for gods sake, my Saturdays are bloody hectic - get enough grief for even playing Friday!

I know it's not the case with every player and personally I work every Saturday and love playing Friday nights. But I also know with our club if you are good enough and are Avalibale for weekends you are encouraged to play up. Look at the bf count the other night it's clear that the one club teams top end players are a standard above any 3rds club

Friday nights. But I also know with our club if you are good enough and are Avalibale for weekends you are encouraged to play up.

As you should be.

However, surely if it doesn't suit you and you say 'no' enough times they will stop asking.

I imagine if they don't stop asking, then you find yourself a Friday night only club!

Try as they might to deny it, the Woodsmen are essentially the 3rds from the Magpies. Sure Dobson, Micka, Baker and Monaghan are all good enough for their senior side, and at least 10 of them would play in the Magpies reserves in a heartbeat - they obviously play Friday night for a reason.

The real enigma in all this is Kim Watson, he has been playing for Jimboomba for years, and they usually play Saturday. Why he hasn't moved club to play at a higher level, and why recruiters from QAFL Clubs haven't gone knocking on his door is a bit of a mystery. (although maybe they have, and maybe he doesn't want to..?)

Look at Zillmere's senior side from last year in this Division. Sure they had Dickfos, Waters, Zeidler and Wolf running about - but they had some very good younger talent as well. Word got around, and now many of them are playing Seniors in the QFA or QAFL and Zillmere missed the finals.

Given the age profile of the Woodsmen side, you might find that if they win the premiership - the older guys like Dobson, Mika, Baker, Toohey, Thommo, Green etc who have been around for years will give it away and suddenly they come back to the field again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back