King 05

Oct 28, 2010
LA Lakers
Well I think the game lived up to expectations. Woodsmen got over the line pretty comfortably in the end. Their first qtr set it up really. Faded a bit in the last 5 mins of Q4 but all in all it looked pretty solid. But take nothing away........ Wynnum CAN play!! And will go deep into finals.

And are bloody good blokes to boot, sticking round for a beer, supporting the canteen etc. Good footy group, hope they enjoyed the night.

QAFL - I was at the bar (in the bar, well actually running the bar) but you didn't come say hello. I would have bought you a beer AND a snag sanger!! Great idea and credit to Woodsmen for putting it on and Moorooka for letting them use the giant BBQ.

Swamp old mate - How's your team mate who did the knee? I hope he's OK. Keep us in the loop as to his progress. I wish him all the best for his recovery.

PS - I hope its not you who did the knee...? :oops:

PPS - I understand there's a few out there who take a keen interest in this forum but don't post .... You know who you are...... Get on board gentlemen.... we'd love to hear from you!!
;)

swamp13

Aug 27, 2009
Man utd, San Antonio, taker
Well I think the game lived up to expectations. Woodsmen got over the line pretty comfortably in the end. Their first qtr set it up really. Faded a bit in the last 5 mins of Q4 but all in all it looked pretty solid. But take nothing away........ Wynnum CAN play!! And will go deep into finals.

And are bloody good blokes to boot, sticking round for a beer, supporting the canteen etc. Good footy group, hope they enjoyed the night.

QAFL - I was at the bar (in the bar, well actually running the bar) but you didn't come say hello. I would have bought you a beer AND a snag sanger!! Great idea and credit to Woodsmen for putting it on and Moorooka for letting them use the giant BBQ.

Swamp old mate - How's your team mate who did the knee? I hope he's OK. Keep us in the loop as to his progress. I wish him all the best for his recovery.

PS - I hope its not you who did the knee...? :oops:

PPS - I understand there's a few out there who take a keen interest in this forum but don't post .... You know who you are...... Get on board gentlemen.... we'd love to hear from you!!
;)
Morning lads, well I know I'm a bit tender today. Unfortunately young sammy went down with the knee and it looks very much like an acl, Put a bit of a dampner on the game for us. All credit to woodsman but, they were harder and cleaner than us and deserved the win. We now know what we need to do.

That was one of the best beers after that game I have to say.

Jun 2, 2007
Pulled up a bit sore myself, but enjoyed the competitive hitout.

Shame we let ourselves down late with dumb 50m penalties and poor goalkicking again!

Started off kicking 7.1, and finished with 11.13 - so 4.12 coming home, including 1.6 in the final quarter. Will really bite us on the arse sooner rather than later!

Runabout_32

Rookie
Jun 4, 2014
How did other games unfold? Any feedback from supporters ?

Seems to be quiet a few woodsman on this thread. Didn't get to see the game. Who played well for both teams? Thommo, don't see you on the scorecard, thought you were the gun half forward?.. ..:p

Sandgate had a win, seem to be low on numbers looking at the teamsheet. Widt kicked a bag again, reckon team's will need to start watching him.

Northsider

Jun 6, 2014
I think till last night there was a lot of doubt about how good the woodsmen really are. They stepped up and would have to be favourites after that win. Shout out to jay the butcher baker for not living up to his new nickname and kicking straight last night. 3 straight at half time I believe

Macman70

May 30, 2014
Wynnum Vikings
Like Swampy pretty sore today. Woodsmen played very well last night. Jumped us in the first quarter and we did not recover after that. Very tough, physical match, but played in good spirits. Always nice when the opposition apologizes for hitting you high, even though the umpires didn't see it.

Runabout_32

Rookie
Jun 4, 2014
Northsider, are you a player?

The only reason woodsman played well is because of their handy inclusions from the magpies. I wouldn't be putting my money on them, old boys tend to fade late in the year!!!

Lower division football your going to get blokes shanking the football. Good on them for having a go. After all its casual football, enjoy it.

Jul 9, 2013
My guess is Northsider is a trouble maker. A funny one at that.

The Woodsmen didn't have any inclusions from the Magpies. They do have a few guys on their list that have senior football experience with Sherwood though. From all reports, the Woodsmen played well and had no standout players. Definitely cant say that one or two players won them that game.

King 05

Oct 28, 2010
LA Lakers
My guess is Northsider is a trouble maker. A funny one at that.

The Woodsmen didn't have any inclusions from the Magpies. They do have a few guys on their list that have senior football experience with Sherwood though. From all reports, the Woodsmen played well and had no standout players. Definitely cant say that one or two players won them that game.

Agree, as Thommo has said, if these guys are approaching the club, after having retired, with $$ for rego etc, love playing with their mates AND not taking spots from an already injury depleted list, what's the issue?

I'm sure they're just enjoying playing footy...... and that's all the counts imho.

Now Jimboomba? Here they come......... :)

Runabout_32

Rookie
Jun 4, 2014
Agree, as Thommo has said, if these guys are approaching the club, after having retired, with $$ for rego etc, love playing with their mates AND not taking spots from an already injury depleted list, what's the issue?

I'm sure they're just enjoying playing footy...... and that's all the counts imho.

Now Jimboomba? Here they come......... :)
Jimboomba ? Looking at the teamsheet Zillmere travelled with only 17 player's. Don't think it's a fair assessment on how good they are. I reckon jimboomba will make finals, and could be the dark horse but tough game for zillmere.

Look forward to future results between jimboomba v Sandgate/yeronga & wynnum to see how good they are.

Competitions getting interesting!!!!

Local fan

Draftee
Jun 6, 2014
Northsider, are you a player?

The only reason woodsman played well is because of their handy inclusions from the magpies. I wouldn't be putting my money on them, old boys tend to fade late in the year!!!

Lower division football your going to get blokes shanking the football. Good on them for having a go. After all its casual football, enjoy it.

I didn't see the woodmens game on Friday night but who were their handy inclusions from the magpies?
Who would you be putting your money on? That's a big call on their old blokes considering the ones that I saw play against Yeronga a couple weeks ago have on just retired from Qafl and I would think there is quite a big drop down to this league. From what I have heard, Zillmere went through undefeated last season and some of the names that were mentioned running around in that team would have been in their mid to late 40's and they didn't seem to have a problem.

Think I might get out to Yeronga on Friday night and watch them take on Zillmere, I reckon that might be a tight contest looking at recent results and could play a big part in regards to who might go through for finals.

Jun 2, 2007
Since we became the Woodsmen (2009) after previously being the Western Magpies 3rds, we have never EVER had a Western Magpies listed player play a game for us in 5 years including this year. Never have we had a player permitted from the 2's or 1's and only one of our blokes has ever gone up to the Maggies 2's on permit, and that was last year when they were short every week.

We operate as an individual club with a senior side. Of course we have many ex Western Magpies players - because that's where we came from.

Any 'Western Magpies' inclusions are guys that have retired and just want a kick without the pressure and time commitments associated with training and also the benefits of Friday night footy, leaving weekends free for family or work commitments.

I'm pretty sure Zillmere and Sandgate are the same as us, being made up mostly of older blokes - Saturday arvo games result in essentially half the side being unavailable.

Zillmere had a host of old state league blokes running around last year, and good on them. At one point I think they had about 5 blokes from the 1996 Wests State League Premiership side, Good effort 17 years later! This league is great for keeping people like that in the game, and what makes it so enjoyable.

Also, no surprise Jimboomba got up. As I said, we know some sides struggle to put a side out there on a Saturday, and I heard during the week that Zillmere only had 14 available and were chasing Mayne for players.

QAFL_Fan

May 28, 2014
On the boundary
My tipping was solid except for the Wynnum/Woodsmen game - appears to have been a massacre. I was hoping to get down there, but had to look after a grandson and it was a bit cold to take him down.

I noticed that both sides were missing a few useful players, but figured Woodsmen were missing both their CHF and their CHB and it would be costly. Obviously games are won in the midfield in this league!

Woodsmen are recruiting well though, I count 5 x 2012 Pineapple Hotel Cup Premiership players in their side, including the skipper!

King 05

Oct 28, 2010
LA Lakers
My tipping was solid except for the Wynnum/Woodsmen game - appears to have been a massacre. I was hoping to get down there, but had to look after a grandson and it was a bit cold to take him down.

I noticed that both sides were missing a few useful players, but figured Woodsmen were missing both their CHF and their CHB and it would be costly. Obviously games are won in the midfield in this league!

Woodsmen are recruiting well though, I count 5 x 2012 Pineapple Hotel Cup Premiership players in their side, including the skipper!

Don't forget there's about 4 or 5 from the 2009 Div 3 (as it was then) premiership side too. Let's not just focus on the EX Western Magpies, a few of this group have been together for a little while.

QAFL_Fan

May 28, 2014
On the boundary
Don't forget there's about 4 or 5 from the 2009 Div 3 (as it was then) premiership side too. Let's not just focus on the EX Western Magpies, a few of this group have been together for a little while.

Aren't all the 2009 Premiership players ex Western Magpies too? They just retired a little sooner, or were always 3rds players.

Runabout_32

Rookie
Jun 4, 2014
Easy fellas, Poor OLD woodsmen coping a bit of stick here! Just for you Pea Nut I will retract my comments about them fading. From hearing about their training attendance I was assuming a younger side like Wynnum or even Yeronga would run the season out a bit better towards the end. After all Yeronga came good at the end of last year. Lets hope woodsmen prove me wrong!!!!

I think King05 is right. It takes a few more then a few Ex senior players to win a game of footy (but it certainly helps tho)

King 05

Oct 28, 2010
LA Lakers
Aren't all the 2009 Premiership players ex Western Magpies too? They just retired a little sooner, or were always 3rds players.

I wasn't! ;) I was a Kenmore junior

Some were actually new to the game, some hadn't played for a lot of years (for other clubs) and one or two may have finished Magpies 18's a couple of years earlier.

In terms of ex Magpies players, there might have been 1 who would have been considered "current".

QAFL_Fan

May 28, 2014
On the boundary
Wow, this league is really starting to take off now.

A little birdie told me over lunch that Mayne, Morningside & Coorparoo are looking to enter sides into the 'hottest league in town'.

If they get 14 teams they might be better off grading it to avoid some of the massacres that occur.

Jul 9, 2013

A little birdie told me over lunch that Mayne, Morningside & Coorparoo are looking to enter sides into the 'hottest league in town'.

If they get 14 teams they might be better off grading it to avoid some of the massacres that occur.

Legit ??? Those clubs want "thirds" sides at their clubs ??

QAFL_Fan

May 28, 2014
On the boundary
That is the scuttlebut around town.

Wilston Grange used to also play in this league, given the revenue they have managed to generate via night footy in the QAFL this year, they might jump back in as well now there is a resurgence of interest.

Hopefully it brings a few more retired senior players out of the woodwork at some of these other clubs! Maybe Champs will have a run for Mayne?!

swamp13

Aug 27, 2009
Man utd, San Antonio, taker

Really? I can understand cooparoo. But when you have a side in qafl my opinion is you should have to feed your players to surrounding teams. That way smaller clubs don't lose out and can strive to play finals and competitive footy. What's the point of consistently flooding each division with a strong side. Pointless to each other team. Aflq can save the current problem they created, that will make it worse!