Qatar Bribe the 2022 World Cup Bid

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple argument. Theres not much time, US is ready now. Or japan if the continent argument is used

With russia 2018 and qatar 2022 fifa should have known they can only get away with so muct corruption

If 2022 was more legit, the focus would be squarely on russia now
I do lol at all the talk about Russia and corruption.
The news at the time was pointing to Spain/Portugal and Qatar swapping votes. 'you vote for us and we'll vote for you'

Russia had zero controversy in the bidding stage. People just jumped to the corruption conclusion after they won the bid, despite everything before hand pointing to Spain/Portugal being the corrupt bid in Europe.

Would you be opposed of a greater Middle East bid?

Dubai (x2)
Abu Dhabi
Sharjah
Doha
Manama
Riyadh (x2)
Mecca
Jeddah
Medina
Amman

Only give Saudi Arabia automatic entry and let UAE/Qatar/Bahrain/Jordan fight off for a 2nd?
I'd like to see one day a world cup go to the middle east, but It'd have to be something like a Saudi/UAE or MAYBE an Iran bid to be successful.

I think its a bit ridiculous to have a Middle-Eastern World Cup held across half a dozen different nations, I can understand a partnership arrangement (e.g South Korea/Japan) but at that point your losing the concept of a host altogether. The Middle-East is also hurt by its political landscape, until that region is actually stable (in particular nations like Iran/Saudi Arabia) it'd be too risky to award a World Cup there. Places like the UAE are a definite option but have the same issues as Qatar, I'd be waiting quite a few years before awarding a legitimate Middle-Eastern WC.

Looking at the bigger picture, just think this is FIFA politics at play. No coincidence this stuff gets leaked ahead of the next FIFA congress which is in a week or so. Blatter camp leaking information to discredit a possible Platini run, the guy is shifty but knows how to garner support.

Naive to also think that the Qatar bid was not the only one that were tainted. They just offered more than the rest.

Australia World Cup in 2022. Can't see it happening myself.

Won't happen at all. Wouldn't put it past Blatter about the leaks though to stop Platini, he truly is the littlefinger of world sport. Saying that though he was anti the Qatar bid.

If Qatar lost the hosting rights and it went back some other time you'd think China would be the one that would be up next if they're looking at profit and nowt else.

I'm sick of World Cups going to countries with dodgy regimes, i'd rather one in a stable country where I can actually go without fearing s**t will happen
Lucky the Australian Abbott regime didn't get it then.

Putin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Abbott

So a merciless mass murdering dictator who puts bugs and listening devices around his own country and basically makes anyone who disagrees with him sorta "disappear" >>>>>>>>>>>>>> an incompetent right wing clown

Even for you that was a bad thing to say

We're talking about Russia not North Korea or USSR

Cue
1387049287371.gif

When you have to compare yourself to one of the worst ones just to make yourself look better then you are in trouble, it's like me saying I am good looking when compare to Cameron Ling

Fact of the matter is Australia is one of the real safe countries in the world, Russia is at best.... turbulent, and Brazil is very unstable at the minute. If you are comparing australia as the same or near the other two then good luck

I would like to think that the 2022 world, if taken away from Qatar, has a very good chance of being played in Australia if Fifa stick to the criteria of hosting the 2022 world cup in a country that has never hosted a world cup before.

I would like to think that the 2022 world, if taken away from Qatar, has a very good chance of being played in Australia if Fifa stick to the criteria of hosting the 2022 world cup in a country that has never hosted a world cup before.
Good point that was 2 of the big throw away lines FIFA were using when announcing Russia and Qatar

People realise this World Cup is in 2022.........?

You don't need to be ready "now". That's absolute crap.

You could build an MCG equivalent in 3 years quite easily.

All the upgrades for the stadia would easily be attainable, right up until 2017 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read an interesting article on the Daily Fail (they sometimes can do this when they aren't making up transfer stories) which said if enough of the strong FA's dont want the World Cup in Qatar they should boycott. Fifa would be forced to hold a re-vote and a new host would be chosen.

Also in the article it shows the time between being announced as host and when the tournament begins since 2002.
2002 - awarded in May 1996
2006 - awarded in July 2000
2010 - awarded in May 2004
2014 - awarded in October 2007
2018 - awarded in December 2010
2022 - awarded in December 2010

If SA and Brazil can have World Cups ready (or close in Brazil's case) in 6-7 years FIFA don't need to rush into anything just yet. A decision will be needed by end of 2016 at the latest

I'd say Blatter wanted to sneak in another WC decision while he is in charge. The bloke is the sports administrator equivalent of Robert Mugabe!

I'd give China a shot

China would be VERY unwilling to have hundreds of thousands of foreigners moving around the country in large groups uncontrolled, not to mention the vast amounts of media coming into the country reporting all over the world.

Building the stadiums would be fine, handling the social aspect that comes with it would be very difficult for them.

China would be VERY unwilling to have hundreds of thousands of foreigners moving around the country in large groups uncontrolled, not to mention the vast amounts of media coming into the country reporting all over the world.

Building the stadiums would be fine, handling the social aspect that comes with it would be very difficult for them.

They held the Olympics in 2012 didn't they? Surely it'd be fairly similar in that regard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back