Qatar Bribe the 2022 World Cup Bid

Remove this Banner Ad

I remain hopeful that the 2022 world cup will come to Australia. What a boost that would be for sport in Australia.
If the 2022 world doesn't come here i would think that we would have a more than even chance of holding the 2026 here.
Its only a matter of time before the world cup comes here. The sooner the better i think we would all agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to think we would have won a couple of EPL titles by then :)
If some of my recent FM saves are anything to go by, there's better chances of you winning the Championship within the next 10 years than the Premeir League ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting back to the Qatar situation...

Listening to the BBC, the consensus is that the investigation into the 2022 bid will be yet another whitewash. But let us suppose it isn't and corruption in the bidding process is uncovered. The Australian Government could seriously consider an action to recover the many millions of taxpayer dollars that went into supporting a bid that was never going to succeed. An action against FIFA in the International Court might succeed.

One thing is for sure the Australian Government must never again commit taxpayer money to supporting World Cup bids while Blatter is running FIFA and unless there is ample evidence that FIFA has reformed. The World Cup bidding process has changed as in future all member nations will have a vote not simply twenty or so delegates. That does not mean there will not still be collusion and under the table payments and it may mean that the corruption occurs on a much wider scale. Perhaps FIFA should also limit the amount that countries can spend on their World Cup campaigns could also be considered? The proof will be seen in future bids but in the meantime Australia should stay well away from World Cup bids.

I cannot profess to being a red hot soccer fan but I am a taxpayer and I am pissed off at this whole deal. If a country with a population of 400,000, no existing facilities and a day temperature of 40C+ had won on it's merits I would not be pissed off but it didn't and we, the Australian public, were taken for a ride.

I remain hopeful that the 2022 world cup will come to Australia. What a boost that would be for sport in Australia. If the 2022 world doesn't come here i would think that we would have a more than even chance of holding the 2026 here. Its only a matter of time before the world cup comes here. The sooner the better i think we would all agree.

I agree, and a World Cup in Australia would be good for soccer because of the potential for the game to grow in East Asia- the games would be broadcast into a potentially huge market in the same time zone (or not far behind). However I think host countries are selected in accordance with a rotation policy between Confederations, which prevents two consecutive tournaments in the same Confederation. A successful Australian bid would have to accord with that policy.

Committee member says "personally" doesn't think Qatar will host the WC. Doesn't actually mean that's been decided.

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL3N0RN33T20140922
There have been rumours for some time that it would be transferred to the USA, they have the infrastructure already and don't need to build a single stadium as they have an abundance of NFL and College fields for American Football which are perfect for a world cup as they hold 60,000+ and the demision are similiar (gridiron is slightly longer, whilst pitch is slightly narrower they have a massive sideline area for the teams which more than compensates). Any transfer of the WC there would only require some minimal effort in planning the logistics of it and nothing else.

too bad corruption is also why fifa exists.

What? How dare you

_77686161_blatter.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back