Unofficial Preview QF Freo v Sydney COLA swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from funding the development of all young West Aussies so other AFL clubs could draft like the bloke thats on a 9 year deal at your place.

What has Sydney done? take away the "AFL funded Premierships" and South Melbourne's flags what have you guys got? you contribute nothing to the AFL, All you do is take. How successful were the Swans during the 80's without the AFL's help?

The team you fielded yesterday against Richmond is what your team would look like without your COLA.

Thanks se17enteen and everyone else for your responses.

If you take away the "AFL funded Premierships" and SM flags, we've got as many as you. I would probably argue that the team that won the 2005 flag was without COLA superstars, but as you were probably 12-13 years old at the time, you probably didn't follow our team that closely at the time (not having a crack at your age, just that if your name represents that you were 17 in 2010 when you registered, you were 12 or 13 at the time we won back then - merely stating fact. If I'm wrong here - my apologies). Anyway - if you agree with me that the 2005 Swans team wasn't a COLA packed team of superstars, we're 1 flag better than Freo. So we've already done a bit more than * all in the scheme of things than Freo.

RE: your assertion that we are just taking from the AFL and not contributing, I dispute that we don't contribute anything, but obviously I'm not going to get anywhere here, so I won't bother arguing the toss. We close at 5 as well, so I've got to get on to shutting up the place... Anyway - I'd argue that even if what you state - that all we do is take - that this is still doing something in the grand scheme of things, but anyway... I agree we were absolutely s**t house in the 80's, but at least as a 10 year old running around the SCG, my dad could watch me from the other side of the ground and I wouldn't get lost in the crowd, so there's definitely a plus of having crowds of 3-5K turning up!

And at further risk of sounding facetious, 9.8% of 22 players is only 2.25ish players, so what we put out to play yesterday is double the COLA effect ;)

Good luck (although not too much) next week, into the rest of the finals, and for the future Freo.

I think that the Cost of Living Allowance made a bit of sense when it was actually dearer to live in Sydney than Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide. Colin Barnett, as Education Minister used the same excuse to explain why teachers in WA should get paid less than NSW teachers.

But those times are long gone. So what is the allowance really for? It's pretty obvious that it is an Attraction and Retention Allowance. The idea is that if you are based in a non-traditional footy state, it is harder to get players coming home, and harder to keep players. It makes sense, but a blanket 9.8% is excessive, as the ability of Sydney to attract key forwards over a long period of time has shown.

I know the AFL are winding back the COLA, and that is a good thing, and I agree that clubs based in non footy states would be disadvantaged if there was no extra concessions; surely that is what the Academies are for? Or are they just to balance out the Father-Sons, which Sydney benefit from as well?

I would have no problem with the AFL actually adding a percentage to the salaries of drafted players, based on if they had to move from their home state. This way, the kids who have been asked to move across the country would be the ones receiving the support, not the list managers of the clubs who receive the allowance. The percentage could be added again for the second contract as well. Surely that would be fairer?

I'm not a Sydney basher, not until this weekend anyway, because I reckon the reason they have maintained their success has been more about the players they have developed or got on the cheap than the COLA. But their ability to get Tippett and Franklin has been a distortion on the competition. If that happened to us and not Hawthorn, I would have been ropeable.

They've had it for 20 years and made the finals more often than any other club in that period. Every other supporter base has to deal with eventually spending time at the bottom, but not Sydney fans.

The AFL know they'd jump off during a long stint at the bottom. So everything is done to ensure that Sydney stay up the top half of the ladder. Sydney rarely ever make a profit and they are never broadcast on anything other than 7mate in Sydney, so what you basically have is a situation where Collingwood, West Coast and Richmond fans (among others) either directly or indirectly subsidise the Swans success while enjoying mediocre results by their clubs. All for "the good of the game".

Given there are now two Sydney clubs how the AFL handle it will be interesting. What happens if the people of the traditional footy states start to lose interest.

Anyway, if Freo beat them on the ground they hate (and they'll whinge to high heaven if they lose there) it will be all the sweeter.

[QUOTE="clogged, post: 34825809, member: 142252"]They've had it for 20 years and made the finals more often than any other club in that period. Every other supporter base has to deal with eventually spending time at the bottom, but not Sydney fans.

The AFL know they'd jump off during a long stint at the bottom. So everything is done to ensure that Sydney stay up the top half of the ladder. Sydney rarely ever make a profit and they are never broadcast on anything other than 7mate in Sydney, so what you basically have is a situation where Collingwood, West Coast and Richmond fans (among others) either directly or indirectly subsidise the Swans success while enjoying mediocre results by their clubs. All for "the good of the game".

Given there are now two Sydney clubs how the AFL handle it will be interesting. What happens if the people of the traditional footy states start to lose interest.

Anyway, if Freo beat them on the ground they hate (and they'll whinge to high heaven if they lose there) it will be all the sweeter.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but they've also had the best players the club has ever had in that time (apart from Bob Skilton and Pratt). Of those, most have been drafted by Sydney, or brought in as unwanted players from other clubs, like Kennedy and Richards.
Geelong has stayed on top over the last decade, so has Hawthorn. If we manage our list well, there is every chance that Fremantle can also stay towards the top without having to spend time at the bottom.
It's only the ridiculousness of Tippett and Franklin in consecutive years that has crystallised the attention to th inequity of the situation; before that a case for help could be made.

I still think any help should be made on the basis of what interstate players a club has. The Victorians we have should get extra pay, and the West Australians in Victoria should too. Overall, players from clubs in NSW and Qld would benefit more, and that's how it should be, but not too much.

Really guys come on. Let's be the one team that focuses on the game instead of COLA bashing !!! It's not going to change the game so who gives a s**t about the cost of living allowance !!!! Let's focus on how to beat these guys. This is massive, biggest test of the year. We win this and we are 1 game from the GF again with a home prelim. Let's focus on that.

Thanks Whinge over xx

Really guys come on. Let's be the one team that focuses on the game instead of COLA bashing !!! It's not going to change the game so who gives a s**t about the cost of living allowance !!!! Let's focus on how to beat these guys. This is massive, biggest test of the year. We win this and we are 1 game from the GF again with a home prelim. Let's focus on that.

Thanks Whinge over xx

I didn't think I was COLA bashing. But never mind.

Huge game.
Advantage: not at SCG, Fyfe playing, working forward line, no 6 day rest.
Disadvantage: Buddy and their talls, they have rested some players, they are minor premiers for a reason.

Who knows? Will it rain. Should benefit us, but I'm not convinced.

I remember us saying something similar last year, and then the AFL sent us to Geetroit.

That was only corrupt. A contract is a contract for which a breach will cost big $.
Finals must be played at ANZ unless it is unavailable due to a rugby game.
Apparently it is available and therefore contract is binding.

However.... I just saw an interview during the GWS where the AFl have said ANZ stadium is "Just playable" and they are "Looking into it"

They couldn't could they ? Surely not
Ooooh the plot thickens. Would be ace if the Swannies don't get to train on it. Can't see it being moved to the SCG as the AFL is obsessed with getting as many people to the games as possible in Sydney. The forecast is spotty this week. Was sunny today and it should be tomorrow. Then its showers on and off towards the weekend. I'm hoping Swans to train on a dry SCG track :)

I remember us saying something similar last year, and then the AFL sent us to Geetroit.

Oh bloody hell, not this again!! I'm sure it'll be good enough for the League next week but we'll be shifted back to the SCG because it's "Unplayable" :rolleyes:

I guess it'd be even sweeter to knock them off at a ground they like I suppose...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we'll find out if Sydney are afraid of us. If they don't think they can Beat Fremantle at ANZ stadium, they'll get the AFL to change the venue. But that will poke the bear (to use a phrase I heard a few times watching the replay) and Freo will play even better.

Just like last year.

Having said that, I don't think Sydney are afraid of us. They are not Geelong.

I reckon we'll find out if Sydney are afraid of us. If they don't think they can Beat Fremantle at ANZ stadium, they'll get the AFL to change the venue. But that will poke the bear (to use a phrase I heard a few times watching the replay) and Freo will play even better.
Just like last year.
Having said that, I don't think Sydney are afraid of us. They are not Geelong.

Conspiracy theory aside, there is zero chance of us playing at SCG. If ANZ is free - we play there. End of story.

I don't post often as BF is mostly full of posts by people who consistently amaze me at their ability to work a computer, but when I'm at work on a weekend or of an evening, I do find it occasionally entertaining. Anyway - in response to your post - Sydney just won the minor premiership, and we last won a flag in 2012, yet according to yourself, we've "done next to **** all in the grand scheme of things."

So Outshined, if that's "**** all in the grand scheme of things", what exactly have Freo done that beats that?

Genuinely interested.

Drunk OTT response to seeing a fair few derogatory posts towards Freo by Swans supporters, my apologies :thumbsu:

thinking about just rocking up at the gate and buying my ticket on the spot
anyone here with any experience of the venue willing to give me a reason why this would be a bad idea?
i reckon there will be lucky to be 40k there

thinking about just rocking up at the gate and buying my ticket on the spot
anyone here with any experience of the venue willing to give me a reason why this would be a bad idea?
i reckon there will be lucky to be 40k there

Probably have to hand over a fair bit of cash.
I wouldn't think walk up sales for finals is permitted.

Can we take the COLA out of the thread title... it's embarrassing for us to be so petty.

We will always have Sydney to thank for denying the Wrangles the 2005 flag.... pity they blew the 2006 one :rolleyes:
Agreed - also no one was really talking about COLA in 2012 - it's really only since Buddy went there - much as that annoyed me at the time.

Can anyone tell me if as a freo member you can book additional tickets to ANZ per barcode ? It reads that way in the info as it says put in your barcode number and then select how many guest passes you want ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back