QLD junior club AFL rules. Do they differ from VIC's?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
as an example, QLD u9's play 4x10min quarters.

the ground is split into 3 zones. 4 players in each zone per side. so there is 8 players in total in each zone.

absolutely no tackling allowed. a player can grab a guernsey and release instantly and the ump counts to 3, in which time the ball carrier must release the ball or a penalty is awarded to the other side.

so on average the ball is in each zone for 13 minutes per game. 8 players must share that ball.

i really hate these rules. i believe it restricts player development. it also shows a belief in the QLD AFL bosses that AFL kids cant be trusted to hold position. however, in junior RL, junior soccer, junior basketball, etc, none of these codes have zone restrictions yet they have proven that they can hold a position and be trusted to. in QLD AFL the kids arent trusted to...

id like to know if AT CLUB LEVEL, not AUSKICK, that weekend club football in u9s, VIC has the same rules as what i have just described for QLD club AFL players?

if not...WHY?

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Our junior comp uses the following modified rules for U/9, U/10 & U/11 as per the link page 13.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=1832739
thanks mate.

i found this..

MODIFIED RULES
The following modified rules will apply to the Under 9 &10 competition.
And have been in place since 2012.
1.20.1 Tackling
Players cannot
1.20.1.1.1 hold an opponent with their hands
1.20.1.1.2 knock the ball out of an opponents

so in Victoria u9s cant tackle either it seems. all the more reason for junior kids to play RL as well as AFL as you CAN tackle in RL from age 6, AND there are no zones...

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't speak for other states but here in Vic we don't seem to be losing 9 year old in kids in droves to soccer or basketball because they can't tackle. Rule variations are probably there for a good reason. At that age coaches want them to concentrate on the core basics which is getting the ball (marking) and disposing (kicking / handball). Once they've got a handle on that they can integrate the other secondary facets of the game (tackling, positioning).

At the risk of generalising, rugby skills seem to concentrate on tackling and throwing. Bit hard to exclude tackling when it's a core skill (unlike U/9 footy). So probably a bit unfair in trying to compare the 2.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
yeah, i understand the reasoning behind the rules. i just dont agree with them....

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Have you seen an U/9 game with tackling? One big, long repeat stoppage for the whole game.

guess i'll just have to take your word on that. but thats the way it was for 100 years wasnt it..? "dont fix what aint broken"?

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
guess i'll just have to take your word on that. but thats the way it was for 100 years wasnt it..? "dont fix what aint broken"?
Organised sport for really young kids is actually relatively new.

Speak to people even in their mid 30's and there was one primary school team when they were at school - you had to be good enough to get in it. Too young or not good enough... too bad! You just didn't play.

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Organised sport for really young kids is actually relatively new.

Speak to people even in their mid 30's and there was one primary school team when they were at school - you had to be good enough to get in it. Too young or not good enough... too bad! You just didn't play.

dont call me old...but i was playing weekend footy and for the school primary side in 1972....no that WASNT 40 years ago....:rolleyes:

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
MR WALPOLL, who played for the wallabies, was a teacher at my school, selected me to play for the school side, even though i was in year 4 and born in december. i was a good player in my age group, but what may have influenced him was my 2nd cousin was bob davidson that captained coached the wallabies a few years earlier. mr walpol selected me in the open side for the school, which included year six students.... from our school and the other scools. i was nearly 3 years above myself.

however, i did ok. all im saying is that kids are more aware of self preservation, and show their skills even when under preasure. the result is a kid with an awareness that despite age, if you have skill, and and an undestanding that team is more importent than self, you can contribute to the greater good. just play your role.

Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
I umpire junior, and at the start of the year I umpired one under nines game and found it boring and completely impossible to umpire. These rules are not really needed in under nines or tens. These rules also frustrate parents and kids.

Back