Opinion Qualifying Final Changes vs. Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a blow!!....Oh well, Silvagni on Buddy, Dawson on Tippet, Ibbo on whoever the other tall is!.....Who runs with Goodes??....I think I would be tempted to run Clarky with him all day...wherever he goes, Clarky goes...he has the leap to jump all over Goodes and the speed to run with him....Tag him with Clarky!!!

Let's not hit panic stations.

Positive way of thinking is we can bounce out of defense and catch them with our run.

If that fails, then we hit the panic button!

Not sure what the story is with Alex Pearce, he didn't play in the WAFL on the weekend. Tanner seemed to play ok.

Just thought of this: Jack Hannath has been an emergency the last two rounds. Remember the big intercept mark he took in his first game, last year v Richmond? Could he be pressed into service to play a role in the back line?

Just thought of this: Jack Hannath has been an emergency the last two rounds. Remember the big intercept mark he took in his first game, last year v Richmond? Could he be pressed into service to play a role in the back line?
The surface of the stadium we will be playing on is terrible and very slippery and soggy. Not ideal for a big man like him. Someone a little more mobile might be required especially as the chances are the ball will be on the ground a lot. Freo may have other ideas though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not unless we're happy to have icebergs in defense!

Guys we just won a game where the opponent's key forward kicked 6 goals and the guy MJ played on ran riot. It would be ideal to have MJ fit and playing, but Silvagni will come in and we can win even if buddy/tippet/reid kick 8 or 9 between them.
We will just tweak things a bit. Mzungu will drop back in front of Franklin at all opportunities, and the ruckmen will work hard to get back as well. It's not good news but not season ending.

If it rains, perhaps we can just play short like Hawks do sometimes with Hodge matching up against the resting ruckmen.

Once the ball hits the ground we should be at an advantage and hopefully having Tippett, Goodes and Franklin allows us to quickly rebound the ball.

If it rains this should limit the advantage of having extra talls in the swans forward line and giving us overall an advantage.

The other option is to give Alex Pearce after a very impressive game, I think it would be too much but if the weather changed and it was Sunny you would have to name him at least as an emergency. My prefered option is to play short and hope we can limit the number of marks they take.

Last edited:
The surface of the stadium we will be playing on is terrible and very slippery and soggy. Not ideal for a big man like him. Someone a little more mobile might be required especially as the chances are the ball will be on the ground a lot. Freo may have other ideas though.
The ground is a disgrace and should be moved to SCG. AFL has the final say and because of loss of profit via contract breach there is no way they will move it. Infuriating from everyone's point of view from players to coaches to supporters.

Sutcliffe will probably play tall like the GF last year now... :oops:
Or Taberner could go back of need be....

In: Silvagni, Fyfe
Out: Johnson, Suban

That's what it looks like to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back