Queensland under 16 State championships

Remove this Banner Ad

The result augers well for AFL Queensland. The squad consists of 33 players currently. As you could imagine, Qld can only get stronger. Add to that the fact that there are some injured players that could have made the state had they particapated in the state champs.
Are NSW down to a final squad yet? Were they experimenting, or just outclassed? Who would you think were Qlds best? Did you hear any names mentioned? And how did Taylor Duryea, Dylan McNeil and co. go? who were your best?

Taylor Duryea isnt playing for NSW he prefers to play in melb for his school silly boy knocking back state opportunities. Mcneil is captain of NSW and will be a good player again tho he is very small.

Of the 25 players representing QLD at Darwin schoolboys only half are in the under 16 squad of 34.
This my player profile of the new members-
Troy Jamieson- medium onballer and utility hard at the ball
Damien Hewitt- medium tall, KP forward,good overhead, slick hands
Damien Steven -medium utility very good left and right foot, hits targets
Ethan Reading- Tall, KP, aggressive, can play forward or back.
Bradley Rees- medium onballer, or utility, very good left and right feet .Good in traffic
Luke Shreeve- Lightly built 15 year old, very good skills, great ball sense.
Tyler Green- Athletic, runs well, good leap.
Jack Stanlake- KP forward very good at kicking for goal.
Rory Thompson- Tall forward (195cm) very good on the lead and overhead.
Sean Yoshiura- Tall, utility. Big motor finds the ball well
James Pennycuick- Likes to run and take them on ,well balanced
Matt Fowler- Medium tall, excellent natural leap, accurate at goal, good allround.
Fraser Nicholsen-Bliesner
Sam Usherwood- The best 15 year old going round. Medium tall, still growing very good all round.
Declan Bevan.- The only 15 year old in QLD to play under 16 State last year. Tall,(195 cm) KP/ruckman,strong overhead. Kicks goals, runs well will be a key in this years nationals
Aaron Fabian- Tall Forward,very good left and right. Kicks bags of goals if he's onsong. Arguably the best under 16 player going round. Attitude the key
Michael McCoy- Medium/tall, can play onball/or key position. Long kick
Billy Moorhead - marks well and has ball sense.
How I rate qld u/16 squad members championship performances-
SOUTH EAST BUSHRANGERS.
Mitchell Harley- very consistent- 9/10
Troy Jamieson- very good first up was quieter in the final 7/10
Damien Hewitt- solid in the first matches, had stiff opposition in the final, 7/10
Damien Steven- pretty steady all three games. 7/10
Ethan Reading- started well and was consistent, marking was suspect 6/10
Bradley Rees- excellent first match faded slightly 8/10
Ben Jaenke-Cain - very good , faded second half of the final 8.5 /10
Justin Harding- solid, got caught a few times in the final 7/10
Ashley Dean- Same as his team-mates found the final a higher gear 7/10
GOLD COAST STINGRAYS
Luke Shreeve- consistent effort 7.5 /10
Taylor Rolfe- Found himself back with the pack, not the clear champion he was last year. 7/10
Tyler Green- Steady, 7/10
Cheyne Hutchinson- worked hard, but dropped too many overhead marks on a lead 6.5 /10
Ben Dovey- loves to run and run and run.... got cuaght a bit. 7.5 /10
Jack Stanlake- started well , well held in the final by a player who didn't even make the squad.6/10
Marc Lock- very good all 3 games 9/10
Jesse Haberfield- player of the carnival for mine- 9.5 /10
Hamish Watts- Excellent carnivall. 9/10
Rory Thompson - good overhead played off the bench in games one and two. 5 marks in the final. 6/10
WESTERN TAIPANS
Sean Yoshiura- ran hard and got a fair bit of ball. 7.5 /10
Rex Liddy - Quiet and found the going tough. 5/10
James Pennycuick- ran well plenty of dash from the backline. caught a number of times though. 7/10
Matt Fowler- excellent carnival, earned a spot in the squad 9/10
Gerard Moore - at 195cm won his share of hit-uts. all that was required- 8.5/10
Fraser Nicholsen-Bliesner - ran well was consistent 7.5/10
Sam Usherwood - very solid all 3 games. One to watch out for.8/10
NORTHERN RAIDERS
Ryan Thomson.-Got better as the championships went on. 8/10
Aaron Fabian-kicked 10 goals in game one. which earned him a gig. was well beaten in game 2. Too much of a Jeckle-Hyde. Not as good as I was led to believe. 6/10
Declan Bevan- At 195cm and mobile football is a simple game. 3 good games 8.5/10
Michael McCoy- solid carnival- 7.5/10
SUNCOAST POWER
Todd Panaoho - very good all 3 games. 9/10
Nick Price - very quiet game one, barely did enough against quality opposition. 6/10

Does asy one know who jack stanlakes father is did he play for lavington??Is his name warren?

The Queensland under 16 state championships commence tomorrow at ZillmereThe strong Gold Coast Stingrays unit will start as slight favorites ahead of the South East Bushrangers,the team that defeated them in the under 14 final 2 years ago.Northern Raiders and Western Taipans shouldn't be too far off the mix, and the Sunshine Coast Power could prove a handfull too. The Kookaburras along with newcomers the AFLQ Colts team and Papua New Guinea, should be worth watching despite being a bit off the pace.Here is a guide to the best of the talent to watch over the next 5 days-
GC Stingrays-
Taylor Rolfe.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. All Australian selection also.Left footed medium sized midfielder, very fast over the first 20 metres busts through packs.Probably the best player this age going round.
Jesse Haberfield.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. courageous medium sized ,versatile,very good skills,and hard at the ball.
Cheyne Hutchinson.- Captain of Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006.Tall forward /Ruckman , strong overhead, leads well.
Daniel Ramage.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. small midfielder, very good in and under, a ball magnet. picks up many possessions
Hamish Watts.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. KP(Key position) player, tall, can player forward or back. leads well. Very strong overhead.
Marc Lock.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. KP, tall, can play forward and back.Judged player of the final in last years state schoolboys final.
Benjamin Dovey.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Small, utility loves to run and bounce . Good linkman.
South East Bushrangers-
Justin Harding.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. All Australian selection 2006. Small goalsneak. Very quick over the first 20 metres,
an opportunist and slips his man regularly. Very good football skills.
Joe Perovic.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. medium/tall. backman.very good left and right. Hits targets well,strong overhead, disciplined, mops up well.
Ben Jeanke-Cain.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Medium onballer/backman, big motor runs hard all day. Gets a lot of leather.
Josh Thomas.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Small, quick hands plays tall, strong over head.Splits the pack with clean pickup and acceleration.
Mitch Harley.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Medium, onballer/back prodigeous leap. Very good in and under.
Jack Angus.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Tall, Ruckman , marks well around the ground, tough robust player.
Ashley Dean.- Solidly built Forward/Onballer. marks strongly.
Troy Jamieson.- medium onballer. Very good in and under player.
Northern Raiders.-
Declan Bevan.- The only 15 year old in QLD to play under 16 State last year. Tall, KP/ruckman,strong overhead. Kicks goals, runs well.
Would have made the u/15 schoolboys last year easily,
but instead played u/16 nationals.
Ryan Thomson. Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006.Medium/Tall. Utility.Hard at the ball, marks and kicks well .
big motor.
Matt May.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006.Tall, KP,Big bodied hard nosed backman.
Aaron Fabian.- Tall Forward,very good left and right. Kicks bags of goals if he's onsong. Arguably the best under 16 player going round. Attitude the key.
Micheal McCoy. Medium/tall, can play onball/or key position. Long kick.
Sunshine Coast.-
Nick Price.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006.Medium sized utility.Very fast runner, elusive ,has pace to burn, loves to bounce the ball.
Jack Parkes.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Solid Medium forward, can kick goals.
Todd Panaho.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Solidly built medium onballer. Likes bursting through packs ,has courage.Can inspire.
Shaun Guthrie.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Small goalsneak. finds space well. good at goaling on the run.
Western Taipans.-
Gerrard Moore.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Tall Ruckman. Strong overhead, works hard around the ground.
Sean Yoshiura.- Tall, utility. Big motor finds the ball well.
Rex Liddy.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Only 14 year old to be named all Australian 2006. very pacy over the first 20 metres. likes to carry the ball.
Kookaburras.-
Lachlan Cox.-Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006.Key position Tall, solid defender. works hard.
hrisHunt.- Qld u/15 schoolboys 2006. Tall, ruckman, works hard.

I find it amazing that perovic didnt make it . I'm a vic metro man and i watched him play last year had him in the top 10 for qld and not in the squad this year .

A close friend of mine at Surfers Paradise FC tells me Jacks dad indeed is Warren. ( he's about 6 foot 15 inches tall).I'm guessing Jacks about 6'2'' at the moment. Jack's a good kick for goal.But other than that, I'm not too sure of his ability. My young fellow played on him during the carny. I will ask when he comes home from school.I'm sure you would like to know how Jacks performing. Do you know him?

A close friend of mine at Surfers Paradise FC tells me Jacks dad indeed is Warren. ( he's about 6 foot 15 inches tall).I'm guessing Jacks about 6'2'' at the moment. Jack's a good kick for goal.But other than that, I'm not too sure of his ability. My young fellow played on him during the carny. I will ask when he comes home from school.I'm sure you would like to know how Jacks performing. Do you know him?

I know of him he played a bit of footy in victoria he played 1 game for footscray i think. He was a forward early in his career.Good player.

The qld team must be pretty handy . i was very impressed with them at the U15 Carnival last year . They should easily dominate the carnival this year in thier pool . Whats the secret up there is aussie rules that strong. Or is it just a good pool of kids cos a lot of them would walk into a vic metro side this year . I see perovic who was rated by the vic kids last year isnt even in the side side so it must be pretty hot to get a game.

The qld team must be pretty handy . i was very impressed with them at the U15 Carnival last year . They should easily dominate the carnival this year in thier pool . Whats the secret up there is aussie rules that strong. Or is it just a good pool of kids cos a lot of them would walk into a vic metro side this year . I see perovic who was rated by the vic kids last year isnt even in the side side so it must be pretty hot to get a game.

QuitRight Sportz, although there were a number of kids unlucky not to make the schoolboys side last year, who are probably getting a go in the 16's this year. (which is run by the AFLQ)

Which kids? Boundry.

Pero banana bender and others how do you blokes rate this years team against some of the vic talent you saw in darwin last year. your u15's were very good last year and by some of the players i saw up there that missed this year your team must be very good . I am interested if you have many blokes the caliber of Hooper ziebel butcher scully Cachia from victoria . i imagine you will smash your division this year in the u16's nationals so looking forwards to watching you.Footy must be exciting up there for the young blokes at the moment.

Part A-
Pero banana bender and others how do you blokes rate this years team against some of the vic talent you saw in darwin last year. your u15's were very good last year and by some of the players i saw up there that missed this year your team must be very good . I am interested if you have many blokes the caliber of Hooper ziebel butcher scully Cachia from victoria . i imagine you will smash your division this year in the u16's nationals so looking forwards to watching you.Footy must be exciting up there for the young blokes at the moment.
Well firstly I'm not convinced that the players that missed out this year are inferior to the the players that have replaced them. Just different selectors with differing opinions selecting different kids. But yes, its apparent there is depth of talent in the QLD ranks.
part B-

I understand Banana's away at the moment (And he wasn't in Darwin anyway)So I will do my best to answer this bit. The standouts in my opinion in the QLD team are-
1- Declan Bevan. A big fellow about 195cm, slim, has a bit of mongrel about him and runs and marks well for a big man. His disposal is good and he's not too shabby below the knees too. I'm guessing that The talent managers rate him at the top of the list.(as good as any Ruckmen I saw in Darwin if not better).
2- Justin Harding. Was named all Australian last year on top of a 12 goal effort as a small forward in Darwin. Including a 4 goal effort against Vic Metro in a semi-final. A real opportunistic player half a dozen possessions usually yield 4 or so goals.His brother Scott plays for the Brisbane Lions and swears that Justin is the better of the two. Justin possesses the same explosive speed over the first 20 metres. Very accurate and miskicks very very rarely.Would definately beat Anton Woods one on one, I.M.O. Hardings lack of Height might be a problem still only 175 cm, but will surely grow more. Not sure about his right foot. His game is such that he can compensate for that deficiancy easily.
3- Jesse Haberfield. abot 180cm,This kid is just the complete package I.M.O. good left and right foot kick. He can take a great grab, and is fearless. Very nicely balanced. Took the mark of the carnival vs WA in Darwin. Never made All Australian but was playing on the back of a knee reco. He Is "burning" at the moment. Not sure how highly regarded he is with the Talent managers here.

4-Tayler Rolfe. Rolfe was probably QLD's best player in Darwin. very explosive and can maintain that speed over 100 metres. Went superbly vs Vic Metro in the final. He didn't dominate in this years state champs but is a very good athlete. Doesn't seem to have right foot and U-turns too often instead of dishing off to a player running toward goal.Probably quicker than Tom Scully over the first 10 metres but would be left for dead after that.
5-Ben Jencke- Cain. This kid has a huge ticker. he can run all day ala Tom Scully. He has worked on his non-dominant side and although he has some way to go still, is competent with it.He is very good in traffic and has a big ticker."Hard running "would best describe him.

As far as QLD compared to Vic Metro and WA ,I would think a 10 goal difference would be a par effort.No one in QLD comes up to Ziebles level, and Hooper seemed a cut above them too, last year.
For that matter Tom Scully has a bit too much all round talent for any we have here. Cachia. I only saw him vs Vic Metro and didn't think he stood out. Butcher? I didn't watch the Vic country games for long enough to notice him (I was too over-awed by Zieble and Hooper)

Part A-

Well firstly I'm not convinced that the players that missed out this year are inferior to the the players that have replaced them. Just different selectors with differing opinions selecting different kids. But yes, its apparent there is depth of talent in the QLD ranks.
part B-

I understand Banana's away at the moment (And he wasn't in Darwin anyway)So I will do my best to answer this bit. The standouts in my opinion in the QLD team are-
1- Declan Bevan. A big fellow about 195cm, slim, has a bit of mongrel about him and runs and marks well for a big man. His disposal is good and he's not too shabby below the knees too. I'm guessing that The talent managers rate him at the top of the list.(as good as any Ruckmen I saw in Darwin if not better).
2- Justin Harding. Was named all Australian last year on top of a 12 goal effort as a small forward in Darwin. Including a 4 goal effort against Vic Metro in a semi-final. A real opportunistic player half a dozen possessions usually yield 4 or so goals.His brother Scott plays for the Brisbane Lions and swears that Justin is the better of the two. Justin possesses the same explosive speed over the first 20 metres. Very accurate and miskicks very very rarely.Would definately beat Anton Woods one on one, I.M.O. Hardings lack of Height might be a problem still only 175 cm, but will surely grow more. Not sure about his right foot. His game is such that he can compensate for that deficiancy easily.
3- Jesse Haberfield. abot 180cm,This kid is just the complete package I.M.O. good left and right foot kick. He can take a great grab, and is fearless. Very nicely balanced. Took the mark of the carnival vs WA in Darwin. Never made All Australian but was playing on the back of a knee reco. He Is "burning" at the moment. Not sure how highly regarded he is with the Talent managers here.

4-Tayler Rolfe. Rolfe was probably QLD's best player in Darwin. very explosive and can maintain that speed over 100 metres. Went superbly vs Vic Metro in the final. He didn't dominate in this years state champs but is a very good athlete. Doesn't seem to have right foot and U-turns too often instead of dishing off to a player running toward goal.Probably quicker than Tom Scully over the first 10 metres but would be left for dead after that.
5-Ben Jencke- Cain. This kid has a huge ticker. he can run all day ala Tom Scully. He has worked on his non-dominant side and although he has some way to go still, is competent with it.He is very good in traffic and has a big ticker."Hard running "would best describe him.

As far as QLD compared to Vic Metro and WA ,I would think a 10 goal difference would be a par effort.No one in QLD comes up to Ziebles level, and Hooper seemed a cut above them too, last year.
For that matter Tom Scully has a bit too much all round talent for any we have here. Cachia. I only saw him vs Vic Metro and didn't think he stood out. Butcher? I didn't watch the Vic country games for long enough to notice him (I was too over-awed by Zieble and Hooper)

Thanks for that Pero i'll look forwards to watching these guys. The Vic country and metro are different outfits this year as well . Ziebel and Hooper still class acts a kid called sidebottom (injured early last year ) butcher Gavin and priest are ones to watch for Vic country . New guys to watch will be a cunnington clever forward Dane Tutton who will be a key back or forward ,Callen geary a wiry but clever player he went with scully in the practice match and did very well.

For metro Scully will dominate a big kid called Jack Watts who's one of the best 16 yr olds in the country at the moment. Jake carr looks a goodun sam blease and tindarra hood is very clever.
should be an interesting carnival.

I was given a copy of Vic metro vs Vic Country u/16's game 2, played 9th June 2007. and must admit Cachia is a quality footballer. Definately leadership material. Very "clean" hands. Its a toss up between him and Scully for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that Pero i'll look forwards to watching these guys. The Vic country and metro are different outfits this year as well . Ziebel and Hooper still class acts a kid called sidebottom (injured early last year ) butcher Gavin and priest are ones to watch for Vic country . New guys to watch will be a cunnington clever forward Dane Tutton who will be a key back or forward ,Callen geary a wiry but clever player he went with scully in the practice match and did very well.

For metro Scully will dominate a big kid called Jack Watts who's one of the best 16 yr olds in the country at the moment. Jake carr looks a goodun sam blease and tindarra hood is very clever.
should be an interesting carnival.

A bit of an update Pero ,Butcher is out for country stress fracture in his back and kallen geary was cut from country as was Carr for metro so might tell you what sort of a judge i am .Carr in paticular was a big surprise as he played well in all trials.
Metro played Country yesterday and smashed them the country boys look very light on and metro looked a lot sharper all over the ground .Ziebell ,christensen (bundy )didnt play for country and they mucked around with the side a fair bit but metro had cachia and a couple of others out watts , witkowski so they would be better also .But metro look a lot better thasn country at this stage .it is a matter of how good W.A and S.A are now.

today is the last day of the state u16 trials (2013) anyone watched any games? any standouts?

Decent bump of a thread after 6 years:D

Made for interesting reading. Especially Jesse Habberfield.... I agreed with most that was said back then about him, but he just seemed to stall at the Suns.. really thought he would make it.

He plays netball now I believe:eek:

QLD u16s squad announced tomorrow, wednesday, 8th may.

Ive heard there will be 40 players named. then after 2 months of training, the squad will be cut to a final 25.

good luck to all those kids.

Of the 25 players representing QLD at Darwin schoolboys only half are in the under 16 squad of 34.
This my player profile of the new members-
Troy Jamieson- medium onballer and utility hard at the ball
Damien Hewitt- medium tall, KP forward,good overhead, slick hands
Damien Steven -medium utility very good left and right foot, hits targets
Ethan Reading- Tall, KP, aggressive, can play forward or back.
Bradley Rees- medium onballer, or utility, very good left and right feet .Good in traffic
Luke Shreeve- Lightly built 15 year old, very good skills, great ball sense.
Tyler Green- Athletic, runs well, good leap.
Jack Stanlake- KP forward very good at kicking for goal.
Rory Thompson- Tall forward (195cm) very good on the lead and overhead.
Sean Yoshiura- Tall, utility. Big motor finds the ball well
James Pennycuick- Likes to run and take them on ,well balanced
Matt Fowler- Medium tall, excellent natural leap, accurate at goal, good allround.
Fraser Nicholsen-Bliesner
Sam Usherwood- The best 15 year old going round. Medium tall, still growing very good all round.
Declan Bevan.- The only 15 year old in QLD to play under 16 State last year. Tall,(195 cm) KP/ruckman,strong overhead. Kicks goals, runs well will be a key in this years nationals
Aaron Fabian- Tall Forward,very good left and right. Kicks bags of goals if he's onsong. Arguably the best under 16 player going round. Attitude the key
Michael McCoy- Medium/tall, can play onball/or key position. Long kick
Billy Moorhead - marks well and has ball sense.
How I rate qld u/16 squad members championship performances-
SOUTH EAST BUSHRANGERS.
Mitchell Harley- very consistent- 9/10
Troy Jamieson- very good first up was quieter in the final 7/10
Damien Hewitt- solid in the first matches, had stiff opposition in the final, 7/10
Damien Steven- pretty steady all three games. 7/10
Ethan Reading- started well and was consistent, marking was suspect 6/10
Bradley Rees- excellent first match faded slightly 8/10
Ben Jaenke-Cain - very good , faded second half of the final 8.5 /10
Justin Harding- solid, got caught a few times in the final 7/10
Ashley Dean- Same as his team-mates found the final a higher gear 7/10
GOLD COAST STINGRAYS
Luke Shreeve- consistent effort 7.5 /10
Taylor Rolfe- Found himself back with the pack, not the clear champion he was last year. 7/10
Tyler Green- Steady, 7/10
Cheyne Hutchinson- worked hard, but dropped too many overhead marks on a lead 6.5 /10
Ben Dovey- loves to run and run and run.... got cuaght a bit. 7.5 /10
Jack Stanlake- started well , well held in the final by a player who didn't even make the squad.6/10
Marc Lock- very good all 3 games 9/10
Jesse Haberfield- player of the carnival for mine- 9.5 /10
Hamish Watts- Excellent carnivall. 9/10
Rory Thompson - good overhead played off the bench in games one and two. 5 marks in the final. 6/10
WESTERN TAIPANS
Sean Yoshiura- ran hard and got a fair bit of ball. 7.5 /10
Rex Liddy - Quiet and found the going tough. 5/10
James Pennycuick- ran well plenty of dash from the backline. caught a number of times though. 7/10
Matt Fowler- excellent carnival, earned a spot in the squad 9/10
Gerard Moore - at 195cm won his share of hit-uts. all that was required- 8.5/10
Fraser Nicholsen-Bliesner - ran well was consistent 7.5/10
Sam Usherwood - very solid all 3 games. One to watch out for.8/10
NORTHERN RAIDERS
Ryan Thomson.-Got better as the championships went on. 8/10
Aaron Fabian-kicked 10 goals in game one. which earned him a gig. was well beaten in game 2. Too much of a Jeckle-Hyde. Not as good as I was led to believe. 6/10
Declan Bevan- At 195cm and mobile football is a simple game. 3 good games 8.5/10
Michael McCoy- solid carnival- 7.5/10
SUNCOAST POWER
Todd Panaoho - very good all 3 games. 9/10
Nick Price - very quiet game one, barely did enough against quality opposition. 6/10

6 years ago this team was running around, would be an interesting study to see how many are now still actually playing ?.

Good call - is unbelievable how many just fall away. Probably one of the consequences of playing in a region of Oz where $$ aren't on offer for good suburban footballers really. Only one I can tell is actually at the top level too (rory). May be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back