Discussion Question and Answer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

bluelad

Team Captain
May 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey guys, I wanna buy some Adelaide crows playing shorts but unsure on sizing. I need to purchase for approximately a size 34-36. What size should I go for? Anybody with personal experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
Probably the wrong spot for this, and probably belongs on the Brisbane board,

But why do Brisbane wear their "Fitzroy" jumper in non-Melbourne games? They wore it vs Freo last round, and wore their Clash vs Bulldogs in Melbourne the round before (or round before that). They said the reasoning for wearing the clash vs Bulldogs was to promote it more, so why not wear it vs Freo?

They wear their Fitzroy jumper in all away games, just like West Coast do with their wings jumper, unless there is a clash like there was with Gold Coast earlier this season.

According to inside information from the club, Brisbane wore their clash against the Bulldogs for the exposure, as they don't wear the jumper much. Don't expect Brisbane to wear their clash again this year.

Also, the AFL may think that the royal on the Fitzroy jumper clashes with the royal on the Bulldogs the jumper.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
A question that has been plaguing me for a while, albeit a round ball question, which is probably easily answered on some Manchester Bandwagon board somewhere or by approaching someone on the street in any Asian city...

Why is Javier Hernandez allowed to play in the English Premier League with "Chicharito" on his back? Chicharito is a nickname, it means Chick Pea. His surname is Hernández Balcázar, as such, in the World Cup, he plays with "Hernandez" on his shirt.

I don't get it. Perhaps he gets away with it because it is not in English. I'm sure that if an English player decided they wanted to be known as "Lentil" or "Mad Dog" or some other daft nickname, he would not be allowed that on his shirt, either in the Premier League or the World Cup.

(On the other hand, the Brazilians are allowed nicknames on their shirts during the World Cup, and even daft ones such as Hulk, who is named after the cartoon character, but my understanding of that it is because of the Spanish/Portuguese tradition of having two surnames, one from each parent, meaning most are too long to even fit on a shirt.) The question I really would like answered is Chicharito, as it is the only example I can remember of a nickname in the Premier League.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
A question that has been plaguing me for a while, albeit a round ball question, which is probably easily answered on some Manchester Bandwagon board somewhere or by approaching someone on the street in any Asian city...

Why is Javier Hernandez allowed to play in the English Premier League with "Chicharito" on his back? Chicharito is a nickname, it means Chick Pea. His surname is Hernández Balcázar, as such, in the World Cup, he plays with "Hernandez" on his shirt.

I don't get it. Perhaps he gets away with it because it is not in English. I'm sure that if an English player decided they wanted to be known as "Lentil" or "Mad Dog" or some other daft nickname, he would not be allowed that on his shirt, either in the Premier League or the World Cup.

(On the other hand, the Brazilians are allowed nicknames on their shirts during the World Cup, and even daft ones such as Hulk, who is named after the cartoon character, but my understanding of that it is because of the Spanish/Portugese tradition of having two surnames, one from each parent, meaning most are too long to even fit on a shirt.) The question I really would like answered is Chicharito, as it is the only example I can remember of a nickname in the Premier League.
Suso had Suso on his kit when he was playing with us in 2012/13 though his name is Jesús Joaquín Fernández Sáez de la Torre

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

(On the other hand, the Brazilians are allowed nicknames on their shirts during the World Cup, and even daft ones such as Hulk, who is named after the cartoon character, but my understanding of that it is because of the Spanish/Portugese tradition of having two surnames, one from each parent, meaning most are too long to even fit on a shirt.) The question I really would like answered is Chicharito, as it is the only example I can remember of a nickname in the Premier League.
It's a cultural thing, it's important to them as individuals and to the culture of the whole country. When Portugal colonised the country, they took with them the ill-fitting notion of four names. Obviously, it's pretty convoluted. Considering most people grow up poor there, persisting with a long name is probably a difficult thing. It's also a big part of who you are – you take your dad's name, in some areas you merge your parents names, sometimes it's indicative of where you grew up or what job you have...

When you think about anglo names, and their derivations, is it really that different? I mean most Anglos got their name from their employment. Does that make it "daft?" What about Africans with names like "Goodfeel" and "Professor?" Or native American Indians who used the phrases and names of the land to title each other? Is that seriously more "daft" than naming someone Black because they were blacksmiths? Or cook because they were one? Really? It's pretty offensive to discount someone's name because it sounds like funny or something to some white-bred westerner... I'm not a bleeding heart but it is kind of offensive. It's a big part of Brazilian culture. It's who they are. Your name, whether it's good or bad, says something about you. It is who you are. To mock that because you don't understand it is pretty rich. Travel and experience things and open your mind instead of accepting Australian culture and customs as right, normal, and the only ones.

I wanna know why he doesn't just put Chickarita on the back instead.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
It's pretty offensive to discount someone's name because it sounds like funny

To mock that because you don't understand it is pretty rich.

Settle down, I didn't mock anybody (except for Manchester United who are anything but a persecuted minority). I am genuinely curious to know the real answer. And if this really is the answer, i.e. that it's ingrained in native Brazilian culture to call yourself after a vegetable or a cartoon character rather than using your real name in order to transgress the colonial Portuguese occupiers, and that this can be extended for the case of Mexicans against their Spanish occupiers, then thanks for answering.

Your misplaced scorn leads me to doubt your authority, however.

Since the "invasion/s" happened ca. 600 years ago, I imagine most modern-day Brazilians and Mexicans are, after so many generations, well and truly already a mix of native South American and European.

And in any case, your theory does not address my question, which was about Chicharito, WHO IS MEXICAN, NOT BRAZILIAN.

This "holier than thou" political correctness and the latent aggression that comes with it as espoused by Silent Alarm is a cancer on Australia and Australians.

There are no doubt reasons for the tradition -- my question was clearly asked in the interest of learning more about Portuguese-Brazilian/Spanish-Mexican culture, (of which I know little). I'm sorry -- but raising this as a topic of discussion is not "offensive", it is not "rich". I'm surprised you didn't add "racist" into the mix. Your decree to "travel and appreciate things and open your mind outside of Australia" is completely misplaced. Travel alone is not going to teach you jack. You need to live there for months to start to gain a cultural understanding. Not that it is any of your business whatsoever, but I have lived and worked full time in three countries including currently living and working full time in a country where English is not spoken, after learning the language for five years.

Your assumptions and assertions are, frankly, utterly ridiculous, and I am completely fed up and sick and tired of being jumped on by demented lurkers like yourself in response to well-meaning questions on forums such as this.

Du kannst mir mal: Va te faire foutre.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This "holier than thou" political correctness and the latent aggression that comes with it as espoused by Silent Alarm is a cancer on Australia and Australians.
I wish I could speak the English language with that immense vocabulary.

Jul 19, 2012
Wanneroo
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Phoenix Coyotes
Surely the word "espoused" or the words "latent aggression"aren't that hard for you to plonk into general conversation.
I dunno. You might sound like this
i-use-big-words-to-make-me-sound-photosynthesis-4a69c.png

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Since the "invasion/s" happened ca. 600 years ago, I imagine most modern-day Brazilians and Mexicans are, after so many generations, well and truly already a mix of native South American and European.

If this is the way you think, I'm happy you don't like me.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood

Can I assume that had DiamondSupply never said the word "daft" in his original post that you would have answered politely? I can understand you getting upset but as a moderator who has to mediate these sort of topics (when's the last time we've descended into race and culture? Haha), I can clearly see Diamond's side of the story as well. I do believe he was just genuinely asking a question, his posting history backs up his good nature.

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Can I assume that had DiamondSupply never said the word "daft" in his original post that you would have answered politely?

This touches on a couple of important points.

First, in my experience on this board, people get far too easily carried away on tangents and inconsequential nonsense. (My question remains unanswered.)

Second, try to remember that when someone says something is "great" or "s**t" or even "daft", they are expressing an opinion. They are really saying "I think it's great/s**t/daft." Putting your evaluations forward as objective makes no logical sense, and only puts you offside with those who do not share your opinion. Still, many people don't know the difference. But I do think this is where unnecessary arguments generally take off from. Sprinkling your sentences with "I think" helps to avoid confusion.

"I think naming yourself after Hulk seems daft, and I'm an Australian with much international experience though next to no knowledge of Portuguese culture, of which I would like to learn more."

I thought that was self-evident in my original post. But judging by the content of the posts followed, it appears I have overestimated almost all of you.

That's great, be happy. Try to bottle that happiness, hold onto it and not lash out at anyone for a while. I'm happy too. Happy I don't live in the same country as aggro people like you any more. :D

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back