Question for Norwood fans?

Remove this Banner Ad

ummm yes?

one of the fairest and best players in SANFL history... yeh i think i remember him. ;)

What a great player Michael Aish was.

307 games and 439 goals from 1979 to 1993.
Premierships: 1982, 1984
Magarey Medallist in 1981
15 games for South Australia, captained the state in 1986 and 1989.
Captained Norwood from 1987 to 1989.
Club Champion: 1981, 1983, 1984, 1992.
All Australian 1983, 1986.
Fos Williams Medal 1983
Norwood Life Member 1988.
SANFL Player Life Memembership 1989.
EA Johnson Award 1988

According to this bio, Aish was approached on 5 occasions to play VFL but refused every time.

Given his extremely light frame, no doubt in my mind that he made the right choice. With Norwood's golden engine-room in the 1980s of Michael Aish, Keith Thomas, Phil Gallagher, Andrew Aish for a while, Greg Turbill etc, we really should have won substantially more than 2 flags.

SimonH said:
According to this bio, Aish was approached on 5 occasions to play VFL but refused every time.

Given his extremely light frame, no doubt in my mind that he made the right choice. With Norwood's golden engine-room in the 1980s of Michael Aish, Keith Thomas, Phil Gallagher, Andrew Aish for a while, Greg Turbill etc, we really should have won substantially more than 2 flags.

I agree that with the talent Norwood had at their disposal around that time they didn't win as many premierships as they maybe should have, Even though Michael Aish was light in the frame, he would have been a top player in the VFL, I have no doubt about that.

Aish turned down a number of offers from Richmond in the early 80s, but in 1986 he actually ventured east to try his luck with Essendon. Unfortunately he was having a lot of trouble with his back and couldn't do the work required so he returned to Norwood.

At the time I was thrilled players like Aish and McIntosh never went to the VFL but I look back now and wish they had given it a shot, just to answer those who doubted if they could succeed at that level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back