Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Every time I watch a GWS game on TV, it baffles me that what appears to be the GWS cheersquad is so far away from the goals.

TutsBBw.jpg

Can someone please explain to me why the goals are so far in, and why the 'oval' is such an awkward size (based off this image). Doesn't make sense to me to have the fans to far away!

Cheers all :)

Spotless (formerly known as Skoda and Giants) stadium is not a perfect oval, as it was designed to be a showground (or so I think).

I can't explain why it has an inconsistent eccentricity.

This graphic shows it. Though, to be honest, you don't really notice the gap when you're at the ground though.

giants-stadium-seating.png

Purpose built baseball and softball stadiums were built at Blacktown but the medal games for the baseball were at the Showground (I was there for the gold medal match between the USA and Cuba) at the time it was known as "Sydney Baseball Stadium".

Built in 98 for the Olympics and to replace the Moore Park Showground. Primary original function was for baseball at the Olympics so that's why it is more egg shaped than oval.

modern pentathlon, whatever the hell that is.

Shooting, swimming, fencing, cross country running, equestrian.

The order of events (and story behind it) is the skills needed by a 'modern day' army officer is in a battle - he shoots til he runs out of bullets, fights his way out of the melee with his sword, hops on a horse to get away, comes to a river and has to swim across and then run the rest of the way back to his command post.

In the early days you had to actually be an army officer to compete.

Purpose built baseball and softball stadiums were built at Blacktown but the medal games for the baseball were at the Showground (I was there for the gold medal match between the USA and Cuba) at the time it was known as "Sydney Baseball Stadium".

Built in 98 for the Olympics and to replace the Moore Park Showground. Primary original function was for baseball at the Olympics so that's why it is more egg shaped than oval.

Yeah, that pointed bit at the cheer squad end would have been the corner of the baseball diamond with the batter.

The cheer squad actually started up the other end, but it was pointed out that it was a bit dumb to put our cheer squad out in the open while the opposition got the cushy undercover gig.

You don't notice it at the ground tbh, I've been to over a dozen games and 2 Easter shows there and never noticed it..

Noticed it for the first time only at the Collingwood game, but that's only because I sat up in the top tier of the members stand for the first time and had a mate point it out. From down by the fence you really don't notice it, but from what nosebleeds we have, high up looking down, if it's pointed out to you, you can tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't notice it at the ground tbh, I've been to over a dozen games and 2 Easter shows there and never noticed it..

Seconded this. I'm aware of it but I don't actually notice it during the game. Having said that, I don't sit in the cheer squad section.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back