Official Club Stuff Questions/suggestions for RFC_Official (part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have to express my disappointment that the Richmond FC has entered a sponsorship deal with a betting agency. I occasionally bet on sporting events and have no problem with sports betting being available. I do have a major problem with the all-pervading nature of sports betting advertising in Australia at the moment, and the consequences it has and will have on the community, including supporters of our great club and their families.
Specifically:

1. These companies thrive on people losing money, sometimes large amounts of money, yet the advertising is all about winning, not entertainment, and gives an unrealistic impression that it is possible to end up in front with regular gambling. The occasional flutter for entertainment is all well and good, but these companies should be made to specifically disclose when advertising how much you are spending for your gambling 'entertainment', e.g. "For every $100 bet with us our clients lose on average $20." (or $50 or whatever it is).

2. The appearance of sport bets ads on the Richmond FC website has the effect of normalising sports gambling to children. The betting agencies are not allowed to overtly target children, but at a time when the government is trying to reinforce laws which limit exposure to this industry to U18s, companies will attempt to thwart regulations by having their logos appear on site they know are visited by kids. Children can't place a bet of course (no more than they can get alcohol, or cigarettes ;-), but this type of advertising, associating betting with an institution they love, has a lasting impact.

3. The range of betting options available has the potential to ruin the integrity of the sport in general. I'm happy with betting on results, margins etc, but many companies also offer odds on first goal kicker, and other such bets which can be manipulated by individuals within a team (look at what's happened with cricket).

I love this club, I love what we have been able to achieve with the support of corporate sponsors, but I think this is one we can do without, and I hope the management sees sense and drops this deal after its current term.

And the offer of a free jumper* (*limit 1000, *non-victorians only) is an absolute dud. But you know they'll make their money back.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hi RFC official, gold member here. I Just want Dimma to spend some time on this weeks video trying to justify the decision to sub griffiths off over the 15 odd players in the team playing worse than him. I have been a supporter at all times that this community has started to go after him, but that is the worst decision i have ever seen by him

hi RFC official, gold member here. I Just want Dimma to spend some time on this weeks video trying to justify the decision to sub griffiths off over the 15 odd players in the team playing worse than him. I have been a supporter at all times that this community has started to go after him, but that is the worst decision i have ever seen by him

Rfc_o doesn't get involved in the onfield stuff (for obvious reasons)

RFC official, I would like to know if the club are looking into the AFL's reasoning for taking away our round one game against Carlton the year after we broke that streak, and gave us an away match against our other bogey team the Gold Coast. It's just far too convenient to be a mere coincidence, it really has the feel of a conspiracy designed to keep us losing in round one and down the bottom half of the ladder because our fans will turn up no matter what, whereas bandwagoner teams like Carlton, Essendon and Sydney (even if they did fail this week) need easy wins early to get their fans interested.

I think that if the club were strong in communicating their awareness of this to the AFL, then the powers that be at AFL house may become panicked enough by potential exposure that they will schedule us a soft game in round one, against a team we're far more capable of beating, like Hawthorn.

Now I know that being so upfront with the AFL may be an intimidating prospect, but we don't want to become a St Kilda who continue to get screwed by the umpires because they're too scared to speak up. As the old players race said at Punt Rd, "fortune favours the brave", we need to fight this AFL injustice like the proud club we are, hopefully then they will show us some respect. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
RFC official, I would like to know if the club are looking into the AFL's reasoning for taking away our round one game against Carlton the year after we broke that streak, and gave us an away match against our other bogey team the Gold Coast. It's just far too convenient to be a mere coincidence, it really has the feel of a conspiracy designed to keep us losing in round one and down the bottom half of the ladder because our fans will turn up no matter what, whereas bandwagoner teams like Carlton, Essendon and Sydney (even if they did fail this week) need easy wins early to get their fans interested.

I think that if the club were strong in communicating their awareness of this to the AFL, then the powers that be at AFL house may become panicked enough by potential exposure that they will schedule us a soft game in round one, against a team we're far more capable of beating, like Hawthorn.

Now I know that being so upfront with the AFL may be an intimidating prospect, but we don't want to become a St Kilda who continue to get screwed by the umpires because they're too scared to speak up. As the old players race said at Punt Rd, "fortune favours the brave", we need to fight this AFL injustice like the proud club we are, hopefully then they will show us some respect. :thumbsu:

Not sure if you have had to much to drink or just plain old fashioned silly.

Point taken and request retracted. Still trying to work out the answer

Who knows- sometimes the coaches go in with a pre determined decision to sub out a player due to match fitness etc. Certainly not something I agree with because if someone else gets hurt that potentially unfit player is forced to play out the game.

I suspect they decided we had a lot of height and could use more run, but couldn't sub out the 'big name' forwards.

Point taken and request retracted. Still trying to work out the answer

He did cover it in the video if you haven't seen it yet although he didn't go into great detail. I think he realised it was a massive stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back