Health Quit Smoking - all mental

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be difficult, I agree.

Thing that shits me the most, is that champix really, really works. Like, I just never felt like having a smoke almost immediately after starting the champix. And it stayed like that until I lapsed while under the influence.

Side effects were pretty rank though.

None.
Next to smoking, the risks are negligible.
Alot of the negative stuff comes from the anti smoking lobby because it "looks like smoking". Not to mention the kick backs from the big pharmaceuticals for patches and gum etc.
Fog machines are legal and use the same ingredients. The vapour is virtually just harmless steam.
Yes, it contains nicotine, which on its own is no worse than caffeine. You dont hear anything negative about the nicotine in patches or gum.

I use a vape for ganja as well. Well I did, then it started smelling like burning plastic and god knows what I inhaled.

It would be difficult, I agree.

Thing that shits me the most, is that champix really, really works. Like, I just never felt like having a smoke almost immediately after starting the champix. And it stayed like that until I lapsed while under the influence.

Side effects were pretty rank though.

I also experienced the nausea with the champix - got to the point where bringing tablet to mouth was a struggle and started to feel sick just thinking about having to take it (ginger products helped), but I did persevere with it and did the entire first part of the program - didn't bother doing the second stage but by that time I was well and truly past needing or wanting a ciggie anyway. My sister gave up on the champix as she just couldn't stand the nausea either - she went with hypnotism but you need to be very very specific about what it is that you want from it because although she no longer can smoke tailor made (makes her sick even contemplating it) she now rolls her own - think she should of said all tobacco products

Well when I saw a hypno, I don't think he actually hynptised me (He's a Dr. of Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis, and a guru of some description) but he did get me into a relaxed state then just sort of coached me along "you are the guardian of your own health etc"

And literally as soon as I was done I threw out the smokes and stayed off them for ages. Fell back into the smoking trap when I went travelling (its a huge trigger for me, even this last time I was fine off the champix, as soon as I went interstate for work though I started smoking again... bizarre).

And I'm about to go travelling again for an extended period of time, and much like your sister, I'm on rollies now (and having began smoking 15 years ago, I'm 30 now, I've never smoked rollies in my life until literally this pouch).

Such an insidious addiction.

Doc_ I don't think it causes the mental problems, I think the problems arise if you already have a serious mental health issue. Not saying that this sort of stuff doesn't occur but if we all stopped taking something because of the side effects listed in the pamphlets provided then we would never take anything.

I had nausea and one bad dream where I clawed at my skin hard enough to draw blood - that was the full extent of my issues. One of the initial drug they used (can't remember the name) for people trying to quit also had some serious side effects in relation to mental health issues if I recall correctly.

Each to their own - what works for some won't work for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel empowered, laugh, and enjoy the smoke free life. Enjoy your friends supporting you, enjoy your body smiling and saying (thank god) youve stopped. enjoy your extra years of healthy life.

Great post wildrig...those two words say it all about giving up smoking.

I'm 43, been smoking the ####ers since I was 14. Over the years I've given up numerous times. Sometimes for as long as 3 months. But it's been years since I've gone without one for longer than a few days. This usually happens when I catch a cold or get the flu. I go off them for a few days while feeling crook, but always manage to force one in eventually. Even when I've sick, feeling crap and can't even taste them because of the cold. It's pathetic.

Feeling 'empowered' is the key here. All the times over the years when I've quit for a few weeks or months- the feeling of empowerment , the feeling of victory over tobacco is an amazing feeling. I miss that feeling. The moments when you're two or three weeks into not having one, not thinking about smoking and you get a sudden rush of empowerment at the thought of " #### it's great to be off those bastards".

Reading your post just reminded me yet again how much I want to give up for good. Forever. But 10 mins later I went to the kitchen, made a coffee and went outside and smoked a PJ...:oops:

Every day, without fail, I wake up and 'think' about giving up. This is it I say to myself. Today is the day to finally give it up for good..then I put the kettle on and prepare for the first drag of the day.

I'm one of those smokers who find it impossible to smoke a dart without something sweet to drink along with it. I find it bewildering how other smokers can smoke without some type of liquid joining in. Blokes I've worked with who can smoke a dart in 40 degree heat, with not even a drink of water. If I did this I'd almost throw up.

Anyway...I'm starting to realise now how (unlike the old days) smokers are starting to be the minority rather than the majority in most social situations.

A few weeks ago I was at a friends house for a BBQ. My smoker wife wasn't there with me. Everyone else there was over 35. Out of the 20 odd people present I was the only one who was smoking. A lot of those folks are reformed smokers. I felt like a leper. A pathetic, weak individual sneaking out to the far regions of the backyard, away from the kids and everyone else to suck on a stupid cigarette.

12 months ago I was at a wedding. 70 odd people attending and me, the missus, my mum and two other weak souls were the only people who smoked. Every 30 minutes we would join together outside the building and stand in a circle and suck away as we all talked about how ridiculous smoking is and how we would all like to give them up.

Why do I smoke? I have no ####ing idea. I 'enjoy' maybe 1 in 10 smokes I finish. Even when I'm drinking I curse myself after every one...not during, but after.

I hate spending money on the ####ers. I hate thinking about how 100 bucks a week is over $5000 a year just burnt away for no good reason. 5 grand I could spend I something else! I often wonder why some non-smokers complain about money. If you're not a smoker, wtf do you have to spend on every week?

The other week I was lined up at the Coles smoke counter behind two old woman waiting to buy my latest pack of PJs. The first one bought a carton of smokes that cost her over $350. The 2nd lady bought 5 packs or something..over $100. I looked at these pathetic people, shaking my head in disbelief and suddenly thought to myself ..." You're no better you stupid ####. You just buy one pack at a time..at least they're saving a bit of money buying in bulk!". It's pathetic.

I'm going to use this thread as a sort of Dear Diary type of thing to help me (my mind) to finally stop this awful, disgusting, foul habit.

I'm one of those smokers who believe that it's all in the mind. Every time I've given up for long periods at a time it's because I've had enough of feeling s**t and wasting money.

The word empowerment is the key for me. I want that feeling back. The feeling of feeling healthy. To be able to run around with my 14 year old son and have a kick of the footy without feeling like my lungs are about to explode.

It's been 30 minutes since my last cigarette. The journey begins again.

Anyone who is reading this thread and wants to quit....post your thoughts on how much you want to give up and there will be people here to encourage you.

Everyone else who has successfully given them up for good- keep posting about how good it feels to be a non-smoker.

Hopefully we can all help each other and get desperate people like my self to finally #### this habit off for good.

Cheers,

S.H

Shane Hird, What I did to help me was to get a jar and every day put the money that I would of spent on a packet of cigarettes into it on the way out the door - it reinforced how much money I was actually wasting and how quickly it grew. I had about 8 tries before it finally clicked and actually laughed out loud the first time I got to my car after doing the shopping and realised I hadn't even thought about going to the smoke counter.

A couple of other things I did was to drop my butts into a jar and that helped in me imagining how my lungs were looking and inhaling the smell of it whenever I felt like a cigarette (disgusting to say the least). The other was one that I got off a friend who was fighting cancer - she imagined the chemotherapy as being pac man and chewing it's way through the cancer. I did the reverse and calculated roughly how many cigarettes I had had over the years and then imagined them lined up five abreast and seeing how far that went and how much damage it had done - couldn't even picture the end of that line in my head
maybe stupid to others but it worked for me and that's the key - finding stuff that works for you.

I NEVER thought I'd give up. I LOVED smoking. Piece of piss with an e-cig.
I smoked for 36 years and in the end there I was smoking a 50g pouch if tobacco every 3 days.

You have not given up.

Nicotine still has you in its clutches.

Tell that to my doctor. I'm classified as a non smoker.
My lung tests/ chest xrays/ pulse rate / blood pressure & ecg's give results of a non smoker.
Pretty sure they wouldnt let me do it in hospital if I was "smoking".
You obviously hate smokers pretty bad huh?
Nicotine on its own is relatively harmless. Its the other 4000 chemicals in cigarette smoke that make it bad.

The FDA has determined that there are no significant safety concerns with respect to long-term/recreational nicotine use. More specifically, the Agency recently published a Notice of Findings in the Federal Register indicating that the long-term use of the nicotine-containing NRT products was safe and does not appear to have significant potential for abuse or dependence.

In 2007, Dr. David Sweanor of the University of Ottawa, published an article in the International Journal of Drug Policy called, “Tobacco harm reduction: How rational public policy could transform a pandemic,” where he noted that “nicotine, at the dosage levels smokers seek, is a relatively innocuous drug commonly delivered by a highly harmful device, cigarette smoke.” The article goes on to note that compared to tobacco smoke, nicotine itself is benign: “A fatal dose of nicotine would require roughly 60 mg for an average person, but, as with a fatal dose of caffeine, such quantity is far more than is sought or attained by consumers (Fagerstrom, 2005)

And its still a drug and highly addictive.

Im an ex smoker (pack a day for 11 years, quit cold turkey just over a year ago), also an ex e-cig user. Both made me feel s**t and weak. When I was on ecigs I felt like I was cheating. Its the lesser of two evils. It is not the best option, it is a gimmick.

I have not had a headache in over a year. In that time I have had my heart broken and also been diagnosed with depression. On reflection, i still class this year as one of my best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back