Quitting

Remove this Banner Ad

Best way to punt in my opinion is with a limit each week and through the TAB

The reason I say this is because having an account open is just way to easy, very unlikely you will make more then 1/2 trips to the TAB on a Saturday, pretty much place the bets let them ride and then collect on a Sunday.

- You can't just decide one day that you want to make money and it suddenly happens. You are not Lenny, so don't try and be him. You won't put the hours in to get a result. You will lose.

- Your bank is not a bank, it's just a random number that you will replace when you lose it. Don't convince yourself otherwise.

- You've gone from Cutting down > professional punter in a week. Basically you want to cut down the amount you lose rather than be more selective and bet less. Again, that's not something you just decide on and it happens.

- You don't deal well AT ALL with losing, even last night/yesterday you said something to the effect of 'what's the point'.

- Your punting doesn't need to change, your expectations do.

- You can't just decide one day that you want to make money and it suddenly happens. You are not Lenny, so don't try and be him. You won't put the hours in to get a result. You will lose.

- Your bank is not a bank, it's just a random number that you will replace when you lose it. Don't convince yourself otherwise.

- You've gone from Cutting down > professional punter in a week. Basically you want to cut down the amount you lose rather than be more selective and bet less. Again, that's not something you just decide on and it happens.

- You don't deal well AT ALL with losing, even last night/yesterday you said something to the effect of 'what's the point'.

- Your punting doesn't need to change, your expectations do.

Yep, spot on.

Kanga -Even with what you're suggesting the bookies will have a 10-15% edge over you, plus a lot more information. The way you're suggesting to punt you need to consider it a hobby that will cost money. Similar to smoking, drinking, whatever. Set a limit each week for the hobby and stick to it.

There's ways to make money consistently on the punt but it takes a fair amount of work and discipline. From personal experience I was a "hobby" punter for 20 yrs and pretty much every yr was a losing one. Pick a horse and hope it wins. The last 2 yrs I've got serious and won back all those losses plus more. Not gonna lie though, it takes time, effort and it's no longer a hobby. It's like a 2nd job and is bloody hard work.

So you just need to understand where you're at and make a decision which one you want it to be.

Last edited:
At the end of the day how much you punt will come down to self control and discipline. The only advice I would give which has worked for me is be more selective with your bets. Back things that you know, sports you follow and keep an eye on etc.

Horse racing in my experience is a lottery, and Id use that more as a bit of fun than making money.

Sports betting is where you can make coin if you are patient and controlled. I have an account that I gamble from, and I dont deposit any other money into it other than punting wins. If it gets low, I bet smaller amounts on surer things. If it gets to 0, I'll take a break and probably deposit a bit more in a few months.

Went through a period where I pulled back my punting and closed my accounts, I would pick 4/5 my best things each Saturday, put them on at the TAB and got pretty good results for a while rarely losing.

Having a bet every race just doesn't work, pick a couple the good things for the day and stick to it,won't be as much fun but I guarantee you will get better results.

Find a staking plan.

Obviously Kelly is the suggestion but if you find framing a market hard I suggest something like percentage bank or to a lesser extent equal stakes to avoid chasing late in the day. Finding your best and thinking up a bet size without maths/reasoning behind it can be dangerous.

Find a staking plan.

Obviously Kelly is the suggestion but if you find framing a market hard I suggest something like percentage bank or to a lesser extent equal stakes to avoid chasing late in the day. Finding your best and thinking up a bet size without maths/reasoning behind it can be dangerous.

I heard from someone who is an experienced punter that every winning bet should return 5u profit.
So I was thinking of going with that....

listen to KP

4TGJnOn.png

Im kinda getting sick of hearing about Kanga's monthly struggles on the punt. (feel for his mrs.)

What KP said. If you know you're no good (or the numbers tell you so) and aren't even enjoying a punt, whats the point?

If your not winning and your not enjoying it I don't see why you'd want to continue, let alone try put more of your life into it. I generally go ok at a few courses in WA that I follow full time with a lot of time invested but am a fairly mug punter in every other state.I also don't punt sports at all as I don't enjoy it.I still punt at interstates carnivals because I love the racing and the animal. I enjoy putting time into the form and seeing the top echelon horses and breeds. If it's the off-season I don't really enjoy watching the racing interstate and generally don't bet at all awhile just following the carnivals. Or just having a punt and a beer at the pub with mates. If this doesn't sound like something you would do I definitely wouldn't try putting more time into it with the aim of making money because without an intricate knowledge of the industry or the maths behind it, I doubt it's possible. You just have to consider, you have to be generally 25% better at punting then a bookmaker to account for market percentage who does racing as a career.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing a lot of casual punters struggle with is the importance of value. They tend to do the form and back the horse they like rather than thinking about whether it should be backed at the price. A horse might be a $2 shot but if the casual punter thinks it will win he'll back it on the tote and hope for a decent price if it gets up. Could start $1-40 and not be worth backing. Flip side is they see a horse they don't like at $2-50 but if it it starts $5 it might have been worth backing.

Not finding best value or taking unders can cost a fortune over 12 months. The simplicity of taking best tote + SP with a corporate vs just betting at the local tab can make plenty of coin. Spending $8 pw on Dynamic Odds to find the best price is definitely worth it for those with a few corporate accounts.

It's pretty easy to cut the bookie margin to 3-5% just by punting smarter.

Im kinda getting sick of hearing about Kanga's monthly struggles on the punt. (feel for his mrs.)

What KP said. If you know you're no good (or the numbers tell you so) and aren't even enjoying a punt, whats the point?

You won't have to listen to me anymore, as i am officially done.
Sick of wasting my time, life & money on this ****
nearly 3 years and 10k later and it's got me no where.
It's a mugs game and a lottery, how many of you blew your wad of cash on Chats & Exosphere.

I had a revelation today as i was in the pub having a beer & bets with a mate.
Now he is the definition of a mug punter and mainly picks horses by their name or a gut feeling.
He said he can't be bothered doing the form and he bets on greyhounds & harness racing sometimes.
He's definitely a losing punter but sometimes he has uncanny luck and pulls wins out of his arse.

Anyway today he puts a bet on R1 Benalla $10 on Angel Eight @ 14.00.
I looked at the form and the fav Staghorn looked a strong chance, 2nd run, blinkers on, Moody trained horse.
I also put a small saver on The Lord's Loot as i thought he could a promising first timer after a good trial.
Of course his horse salutes and pockets $150 and mine finish 3rd & 4th.
I just lost it, he puts **** all time in and pulls a win out of his arse.

Thanks for everyone trying to help me improve but i have to face facts.
I'm nothing but an addict and while i can winners i'm not in the position financially to capitilise on them
(for example i could only do a $100 bank not a $1000 bank, i'm to poor).

Nice knowing you guys.

It's a mugs game and a lottery, how many of you blew your wad of cash on Chats & Exosphere.

Now he is the definition of a mug punter and mainly picks horses by their name or a gut feeling.
He said he can't be bothered doing the form and he bets on greyhounds & harness racing sometimes.
He's definitely a losing punter but sometimes he has uncanny luck and pulls wins out of his arse.

I looked at the form and the fav Staghorn looked a strong chance, 2nd run, blinkers on, Moody trained horse.
I also put a small saver on The Lord's Loot as i thought he could a promising first timer after a good trial.

I'm nothing but an addict and while i can winners i'm not in the position financially to capitilise on them

Nice knowing you guys.

Sorry to hear mate. All the best with whatever you decide.

Nice knowing you guys.

My only advice is bet like your mate...

What don't ever do the form/research? All he does is guess.
Trust me he's lost more than me overall.
He was actually self excluded not long ago so he shouldn't even be doing it.

I've found doing the form and all the research largely rubbish as there are so many variables, it may give you a rough idea but as you know anything can happen. I have the best luck sitting at the TAB watching where the money is going late, if you have a couple of losses on the horses go the $2 fav dog who will get up most of the time and look for horses paying $3-$8 and just go for your hunch like your mate does.

Bet for enjoyment, it'll do your head in studying too hard. I was on the favourite in that Benalla race 1 where Angel Eight got up and also thought where the * did that come from but that's racing, it's a lottery most of the time where any of the top 4-5 chances can win so just treat it like luck. It's more fun than pokies.

I just usually follow the late money on the 2nd or 3rd favourite, I make up my mind 10 seconds before the race starts and bet on all 3 forms and have as much luck if not better than people who spend hours studying the form.

I've found doing the form and all the research largely rubbish as there are so many variables, it may give you a rough idea but as you know anything can happen. I have the best luck sitting at the TAB watching where the money is going late, if you have a couple of losses on the horses go the $2 fav dog who will get up most of the time and look for horses paying $3-$8 and just go for your hunch like your mate does.

Bet for enjoyment, it'll do your head in studying too hard. I was on the favourite in that Benalla race 1 where Angel Eight got up and also thought where the **** did that come from but that's racing, it's a lottery most of the time where any of the top 4-5 chances can win so just treat it like luck. It's more fun than pokies.

I just usually follow the late money on the 2nd or 3rd favourite, I make up my mind 10 seconds before the race starts and bet on all 3 forms and have as much luck if not better than people who spend hours studying the form.

Yeah i've heard of people using a formula where they follow the late money rather than form.
Doing form can be really run and rewarding when it's come's off.
But also it can be a timesink and upsetting when you get it all wrong or something wins that doesn't even make sense.

Anyway like i said i'm gonna be taking a step back for now on the ponies.

Bet for enjoyment, it'll do your head in studying too hard. I was on the favourite in that Benalla race 1 where Angel Eight got up and also thought where the **** did that come from but that's racing, it's a lottery most of the time where any of the top 4-5 chances can win so just treat it like luck. It's more fun than pokies.

Its a lottery when you have nfi about each horse, i agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back