R.I.P Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be one of if not the most shocking news in all my years watching football. Can't recall something of this magnitude ... the nature of it and all.

Rip Walshy... Wtf is life coming to? Kids killing parents for God's sake... Shattering!!

It's so awful. I don't know why but everyone is so effected by this at work, especially the girls who deal with the AFC. It's strange to see everyone in tears and in shock.
His poor daughter is overseas at the moment. Such a ******* tragedy.

Has to be one of if not the most shocking news in all my years watching football. Can't recall something of this magnitude ... the nature of it and all.

It's the biggest alright....................and the worst.

Family has effectively (probably) lost 2 family members in the one instance.

I would not like Gill's job right now. With a tragedy like this there is a real balance to be made between respect for the memory of Walsh and continuing the daily events that make life worth living.

The AFL should make it clear that any player or official who wish grief leave will be granted it with the expectation that Adelaide are not able to field a side against Geelong on Sunday. Otherwise it would be expected that games would continue as usual with appropriate memorials. Geelong in these circumstances would be granted a walk-over but receive no percentage boost. Adelaide then loses 4 points automatically.

Tough call whatever the AFL does.

I would not like Gill's job right now. With a tragedy like this there is a real balance to be made between respect for the memory of Walsh and continuing the daily events that make life worth living.

The AFL should make it clear that any player or official who wish grief leave will be granted it with the expectation that Adelaide are not able to field a side against Geelong on Sunday. Otherwise it would be expected that games would continue as usual with appropriate memorials. Geelong in these circumstances would be granted a walk-over but receive no percentage boost. Adelaide then loses 4 points automatically.

Tough call whatever the AFL does.
The Crows players may feel that they would like to play for Phil on Sunday. If not, like you say, tough call for Gill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R.I.P. Phil Walsh

The truth behind everything will be revealed sooner rather than later and it is no place of ours to speculate.

As for the Crows playing this weekend... I'd personally like to see the AFL delay the finals one week and play the Adelaide Geelong game where the first week of finals would have been. It only goes pear shape if the Grand Final is a draw.

Someone on the Geelong board suggested making their return game worth 8 points and cancelling this one.

I can see almost every other club turning that type of proposal down albeit quietly and respectfully. Imagine the ladder remaining the way that it is now (Geelong a game out) but the percentages being closer, the teams above Geelong winning but to have Geelong win by 10-12 goals at home and getting into the finals because they won effectively two home games.

Surely Adelaide players and staff are the only people in a position to determine whether this game goes ahead as planned.

It's a terrible situation of course, but in my view there is no way the round should be cancelled.

This game should be treated in isolation but logistically I don't see a way it can be postponed. IMO it is as simple as this - if the Adelaide players want to play this weekend, they play and the game goes ahead. If they are not in a position to play, which of course would be completely understandable, the game is called off and both sides are given 2 points.

This isn't the AFL's decision to make IMO. Leave it up to the players and the club. No player at the Crows - or any other club - should be forced to take the field this weekend if they don't feel they are in a position to do so. The choice should be theirs and theirs only.

I agree Jeremias. Walsh played a role at so many teams, there's going to be a lot of players effected by this...Geelong, West Coast, Port (I know they played last night) as well as Adelaide. Every individual will react differently, too.

I sometimes read Titus for a giggle, but his article today is actually really well written and lovely.

http://titusoreily.com/some-random-thoughts-on-a-bad-morning/

We also sense something that is at the heart of much of life; that it often makes no sense. Searching for meaning where there is none is part of why we all feel a bit lost this morning.

The only comfort I can find in this is that so many others are feeling what I’m feeling today. We’re all connected because of football and we are lucky to be.

Looking at grief stricken Crows fans leaving flowers outside Adelaide HQ.

This is heartbreaking stuff, I really admired and liked his Phil Walsh, his press conferences were always entertaining, he was a very different kind of coach

Can't imagine how his poor wife and daughter must be feeling, someone his own son killing him must make the pain of his death so much more painful.

This tragedy is going to take a lot longer than a week for the Crows players to cope with, not sure if any of them could ever get over it, least not for a very long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back