Review R1, April 5, 2015 - GC v Melbourne @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't see the game but heard one of the commentators on radio specifically mention that Bennell at one stage was lining up on Jeff Garlett on a HBF. That to me was a very strange decision by Rocket. Harley is most definitely not a defender and would have done nothing more than piss him off and make him sulk. I'm all for the coach showing there has to be a team-first attitude and you play where you are told for the betterment of the team but I fail to see how Harley on a HBF helps the team when we have plenty of others that play that position?

What do we think of Macelski's first game? I thought he played alright but i was expecting more in the last quarter.
He was the only decent defender we had yesterday. Without Mal, we've have lost by 60 points, not 26. Didn't have the best game, but was still a good player.

I thought GC would win this one. The thought that kept coming back to me during the game was to wonder if Eade is perhaps a bit old school as a coach for a young group of players who have been groomed to play to their talents rather than a strict gameplan?

The likes of Bennell and Martin in particular looked shadows of the players they have been and not to be enjoying their footy.
When the game was there to be won I kept thinking, send them up the ground a bit to get involved, turn them loose but the 2 of them stayed locked in the forward 50 and worse constantly trying to give the ball off rather than making the play.
I could be wrong (I hope I am as Martin is one player I've been looking forward to watching this year), just a thought that perhaps Eade is over coaching and killing the flair in them.
That's exceptionally presumptuous and alarmist. Let's see after 10-15 rounds.

That's exceptionally presumptuous and alarmist. Let's see after 10-15 rounds.
like I said it was just a thought and could be wrong.
It was a big gamble by Eade to leave a cushy well paid back-scene job and come in and get results. It would be natural if he was stamping his authority on the team, its possible he's over compensating.
But like you say, its pre-mature.

I know Harley has personally thrived under Eade, both on field and off field. Not enjoying footy? Way way off the mark. He didn't enjoy yesterday as a forward. He loves the Suns and is angry/frustrated when we play like that. And who can blame him? Not because Eade is coaching him.

Some of the posts in here are ridiculous considering we've played one round, the round which generally throws up funky performances. I realize they're from opposition supporters, but damn, it's incredibly frustrating reading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Harley has personally thrived under Eade, both on field and off field. Not enjoying footy? Way way off the mark. He didn't enjoy yesterday as a forward. He loves the Suns and is angry/frustrated when we play like that. And who can blame him? Not because Eade is coaching him.

Some of the posts in here are ridiculous considering we've played one round, the round which generally throws up funky performances. I realize they're from opposition supporters, but damn, it's incredibly frustrating reading.

I agree Sunny, but to the average AFL/Melbourne based supporter we have had huge handouts and been gifted Premierships on the back of overly generous draft choices
Nothing could be further from the truth and anything we've achieved has been from a base of zero and any success has been down to hard graft and harder work
in an essentially hostile environment

Nonetheless to outsiders we were expected to be an unstoppable juggernaut by now.
Our President said a premiership in 2015
So I guess they're a bit bewildered

For us, it's just frustration and anxiety about the coming season when we see an effort from the boys like yesterday.
Round 1 is a well charted rock that many a Good Ship of Footy Hope and Expectation has run aground on
We'll just keep supporting and hope for a strong tide to lift us off and get us going again

if you don't like the truth, don't watch the game

The Suns should have won but the amount of times they got on the break only to turn it over was crazy.
Sad, but true. Doesn't take away from the Dees being better on field, whatsoever, but the Suns simply didn't care. Strange considering the performance we put up against the Cats!

if you don't like the truth,

Nothing more rapturous than a new Messiah who brings The Truth on Easter Sunday
We should give thanks he stopped by during his busy schedule to offer his Truth
I mean there must be other stuff like healing the sick raising the dead and feeding the masses he has to attend to
I'm a bit overawed and a bit humbled at the same time TBH

I haven't read the whole thread but Suns supporters should be very disappointed on the effort yesterday

Full credit to Melbourne as they thoroughly deserved their win, but I had Gold Coast in my 8 this year

We'll learn a lot about the Suns kids over the next few weeks

Good luck

Really don't mean any offence to anyone - but having opposition supporters come in here and tell us how we should feel is bloody condescending.

We know how to support our club, we are not children or new to football.

They still see us as a novelty don't they. I noticed this at the game too. I honestly can't wait to get our s**t together and start handing out some pastings. I'd prefer the 'you were gifted it by the AFL' bullshit than condescension and pity.

One quick one fellas - Sexton played an absolute blinder. He was everywhere, thought he was BOG for you. Is he normally that good? Because if he is, you've found a gem there.

Sexton BoG? :/ Everywhere?

I guess those 8 kicks and 3 tackles were pretty good! ;)

He went poor/ok as one of our main forwards. But he must play midfield to get the best out of himself.

You're nice Sunny. I thought the post you replied to reeked of sarcasm and gloating.. Can't see how you could possibly say Sexton was BOG for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back