R13 2005 – 117 points

Last Time against Hawthorn
R21 2011 – not much vs. ******* heaps

Most Goals vs Hawthorn
43 – W Tredrea
19 – S Dew
17 – B Ebert

PREDICTION
All of a sudden, this game becomes entirely winnable. We saw a couple of weeks ago how Richmond dismantled the Hawks. We saw that by limiting the damage that Buddy can create, Hawthorn are very much beatable. Its just whether or not we have the midfield strength and the firepower up forward to kick enough goals. This is where it possibly falls apart. We’ll need Schulz to fire, Westhoff to play to his best and a midfield that will need to win the clearances that it did with regularity against Carlton. At home, we’ve beaten Hawthorn against the odds before. I think we can win this.

Port by 4 points

If I Could Turn Back Time
R11 1988 – Comeback Kings

Port Adelaide went into its Round 11 clash with Glenelg in some good form, having lost just one of its past five matches. The clash at Alberton was to be the match of the round and nearly 9500 saw Port Adelaide come from behind to win a tight hard contest against its bitter rival.

Glenelg started the match with the opportunity to kick with what was a 5 goal wind, using it to advantage to break out to a 23 point ¼ time lead. This lead was stretched to 35 points eight minutes into the second term, but with Martin Leslie moving onto the dangerous Craig Budarick and Stephen Williams on top in the midfield, the Magpies drew to within 6 points of the Bays going into half time.
The third quarter is where Port Adelaide won themselves the contest. Against the wind they kicked 3 goals to 1 to lead by 5 points at the last change. Whilst Glenelg challenged early in the last, it was Port Adelaide that held its nerve to win by 10 points. Scott Hodges continued to enjoy his move to Full Forward with 5 goals, whilst Stephen Williams was influential in the middle with 4 goals. It was Martin Leslie though who was best on ground, with the Centre Half Back keeping the inform Craig Budarick to minimal influence and 2 goals, whilst repelling numerous Glenelg attacks.

Roger Kerr would miss the next month after a horrific incident that saw his left ear nearly torn completely from his head. Hanging by just a small part of the lobe, doctors needed 45 stitches to re-attach it to his head.

F: M O’Brien / S Hodges / D Hynes
HF: R Kerr / D Smith / T Ginever
W: P Harrison / S Williams / R Smith
HB: B Abernethy / G Phillips / M Leslie
B: G Fiacchi / R Delaney / R Foster

R: R Johnston / D Brown / D Borlase
I: G Phelps / J Harvey

PA 1.1 / 6.6 / 9.8 / 12.11 83
GL 4.6 / 7.6 / 8.9 / 10.13 73

BEST: Leslie, Williams, Fiacchi, Hodges, Abernethy, Ginever
GOALS: Hodges 5; Williams 4; Harrison, Ginever, D Smith

Hey gents, hope you don't mind a visitor.. I never feel confident traveling to ADL to play you guys! It's ridiculous to think that less that 12 months ago we absolutely demolished a Port side that clearly didn't want to be out on the ground. 12 months on you guys have found some good improvement in some of your up and comers. Renouf should add a bit of spice to a game that is already very important to both clubs.

Re the way the game is going to play out, I'm not so sure its a matter of shutting Franklin down. It's a matter of stopping the Hawks midfield from getting 50+ inside 50's. If the ball gets in 50+ times its very hard to stop Franklin from having 8-10 shots at goal. So you either dominate the midfield or hope that Buddy has an off day in front of goal. For you guys Schultz is more than capable of kicking a bag on Gibbo / Shoey / Stratton but again he will need supply.

Should be a cracker! hoping for some decent weather over there and a strong contest!!

Hopefully the fact Cornes is back to his tagging best means that Mitchell wont run amok like he has the last few times we've played the Hawks. Broady and Hartlett around the centre again will also be a big plus, really looking forward to this one, will be attending.

Great write up as always macca, just check under one of your headings for a misspell...

Love reading your work!

Roger Kerr would miss the next month after a horrific incident that saw his left ear nearly torn completely from his head. Hanging by just a small part of the lobe, doctors needed 45 stitches to re-attach it to his head.

I can't...even...
Horrified.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fck it. We can win this. I see the spirit and the belief is back with the playing group, and it is back with me too! Hard at the footy, hard at the contest, move the ball forward.

We can win. If we bring our best for 4 quarters we will win. And even if we lose, under 5 goals will be enough to make everyone take notice, we are on our way back.

Port Adelaide by 2 goals.

Huge challenge. Hopefully a nice day and we can get over 25K there. Schulz out would be a huge blow but if he is fit to play then I think we can do it. Need to have that same attack on the ball like last week, too many times we've failed to back up but the feeling amongst the supporters and the group atm seems pretty positive. Unbelievable to think this could be 4 in a row :|

I can finally get to a game! Only seen rnd 1 vs saints. I hope I'm in for a win this week.

I have a feeling Schulz will play, he is our toughest player and will get up for it.

Port by 3goals.

Are we 15-9 h2h with hawks or blues Macca? Check op mate.

I reckon we'll get up for this game! Bar last year, we usualy match up well against the Hawks. If the effort is there, we will take it home.

Port by 35+

Really looking forward to this one. Sunday twilight, in fact the only Sunday game. Anything under 25k would be a disappointment weather permitting.

25,000 would have to be an absolute minimum. Huge opponent, fine weather forecast, coming off 3 consecutive wins. And with the holiday Monday this has now become possibly the plum timeslot of the round. Personally I'll be disappointed if we don't crack 30,000.

To be honest am nervous about this game. However I was nervous about last weeks game.

But Port always seem to match well on us, and have given us some of the biggest floggings in previous times. Will be interesting to see how the boys play after the belting of North last week, particularly Buddy who always seems to have a quiet one after a huge haul.

Saw some good signs with Carlile last week, he was breaking tackles running out of defence like the man mountain he is. Hopefully that confidence will still be there on Sunday because Buddy is an absolute nightmare for defenders.

But at least Hawthorn are a three goal worse side against us now since we've strategically snatched Brent Renouf. I was always at a loss at how someone that looked so uncoordinated could turn into a lethal 50m set shot kicking machine when he played us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back