Review R16 Saints v Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's get a review thread happening!
Wasn't it bloody fantastic to see Paddy &
Hugh running around together!

Great fightback by the boys, it's the comeptiveness I love!

Great to see the fightback by our boys, thought it would blow out after 3/4 time.

Fitting end for a great event in memory of Maddie Riewoldt.

Special mention to our inspirational skipper for getting up for such an important event personally.

Awesome to see Paddy & Hugh playing together, whilst even better seeing Paddy slot through his first AFL goal, which is hopefully one of many!

Steven, Armo, Savage, Weller & Dunstan, I thought were pretty good for us.

Hopefully we can bring the last quarter effort into next weeks game :thumbsu:

-Armo is a gun.

-Roo. Nothing needs to be said.

-Savage and Weller were our best players out there today. Weller was just amazing, and Savage was very good from start to finish; hitting targets and endless effort from him.

-Dunstan showed why he belongs in our first 22 today. I hate it when there's all this talk of dropping him. He's quality.

-And Paddy and Hugh showed that they belong in the AFL in their first season. Can't wait for this duo to get into their prime, they will destroy teams week after week.
Paddy was leading well, good off the ground and his second efforts were solid as well. Glad he kicked the first of many to come.
Hugh was very composed for a first gamer and played well from the beginning to the end as well. He should play the remaining games if fit.

-Eli doesn't belong in the AFL yet. Needs to keep playing VFL and getting those 25-30 touches. Looks devoid of confidence. A bit soft out there for my liking.

-disappointed in some of our senior players today, poor disposal. Especially from Steven and Fisher. Would really like Steven to improve his kicking efficiency.

But that game just defines who we are as a team. We never stop fighting. Yes, our first 3 quarters were appalling, but I love what Richo has brought to this club, the spirit of all our players is amazing. I am very proud of being a Sainter. #fightlikemaddie

I said it in the Game thread, but I want to say it again...

What an utterly wonderful comeback.

This team we're building just will NOT lie down and go away... To be down 52 points down at 3qtr time, but to eventually only fall short by 16, which could have been closer, against a top 5 side, is great. We really did #FightLikeMaddie...

I love where we're headed.

Ok I couldn't wait any longer, so pleased to see Goddard and McCartin out there today. The first three quarters were more than frustrating but that last quarter was another sign that we're well on the right path.

Mav Weller was brilliant, and I'm really liking what Savage is providing us. For the record Goddard, McCartin, Sinclair etc need to play the rest of the season out to get some games under their belt.

Good fightback Saints!

While it's never easy to take a loss, it was fantastic that we showed the heart to try a comeback, again. The list is in a really good shape. Paddy's efforts were outstanding, just a really smart player, but we gave him no chance with our slow ball movement.

well done on the turn out by both sets of fans. roo what a champion clearly hampered but turned it on as usual. mav weller great game from a spud at gold coast to one of your most important players. Armitage having a great year. hope everyone donated #fightlikemaddie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good:
- weller our most dangerous fwd in the first qtr, that last goal and his pace WOW
- mccartin has improved a fair bit since NZ
- goddard good first game but i suspect we eased him in as the spare man in large parts of the game. his disposal in close is very good though
- savage amazing game
- steven/armo solid
- longer absolutely solid. gone well past hickey now
- roberton having an amazing year

The concerning
- we cannot keep to paper over the cracks of these loses as long as they fight back when teams put the cue back in the rack
- lonie. i love the kid, but he has two big concerns. 1 his finishing and 2 his marking. needs to clean that up, its the difference between him being so so and him being a walters/betts type
- bruce very quiet
- templeton. too vanilla and lacks defencive pressure. completely different player to last year. lost his positives and now his negatives stick out more. needs to start to do the hard stuff and take the hit. needs to stick effective tackles. most of all needs to get back his confidence to take the play on, use his pace and hit the score board
- fish looks cooked again
- ray starting to slow
- where was newnes?

Last quarter was pretty exciting.

Reckon that was Mav Wellers best game as a saint and possibly best AFL game...

Maverick "Usain Bolt" Weller
Mav is a much better athlete than a lot of people seem to give him credit for, probably because he's an inside bull type mid. Good speed, leap, agility and endurance to go with his strong frame. Pretty sure he and his future saint brother Lachie did a fair bit of athletics growing up.

Thought Hugh was really promising, should play him for the rest of the year.
Paddy kicking his first goal and taking some solid marks
Thought Dunstan played one of his best games for the year 23 touches 7 tackles and a goal, needa fix up that kicking though absolutely shocking at times

well done on the turn out by both sets of fans. roo what a champion clearly hampered but turned it on as usual. mav weller great game from a spud at gold coast to one of your most important players. Armitage having a great year. hope everyone donated #fightlikemaddie
Thanks for the post, twas a great game.

anthony miles great dives from a spud at gws to one of the biggest divers in the AFL

Fantastic comeback by the boys tonight. They showed courage when they easily could have rolled over.

Positives-
-Goddard and McCartin looked nervous but very promising.
-Mav, Roo, Savage, Longer, Newnes, Dunstan, Steven, Armo, Joey.
-Sinclair great as sub, full game next week.
-45000 at a Saints home game

Negatives-
- losing...
- Webster and Eli were ineffectual
- Not playing for 2 quarters
- Silly turnovers

Exciting times ahead!

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post, twas a great game.

anthony miles great dives from a spud at gws to one of the biggest divers in the AFL
wasn't trying to bag weller just saying how far he has come. and yeah miles does duck a fair bit which I cant stand but also gets a lot of the ball and for what we got him for cant complain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back