Review R16 Saints v Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilarious that people were potting Dunstan in the first half after ONE bad mistake. One bloke said he can't run or kick and another even said he should be dropped :rolleyes:

23 touches at 82.6% efficiency, 8 marks, 7 tackles and a goal. Two strong games in a row after a little bit of a lean patch.

Not sure why templetons copping so much heat.. People forgetting he's 2nd year off the rookie list and played less than 10 games.. His skill set still see him be a very good player...

Jack newnes first 10 games were ordinary and he's turning out ok

Not sure why templetons copping so much heat.. People forgetting he's 2nd year off the rookie list and played less than 10 games.. His skill set still see him be a very good player...

Jack newnes first 10 games were ordinary and he's turning out ok
Think Eli definately has potential to be a very good player, and I bloody love him but you can't gloss over the fact he hasn't looked up to it when he's played seniors this year.

Mav Weller 3 goals, 10 CPs, 20 disposals @90% efficiency
Luke Dunstan 8 marks, 5 clearances, 7 tackles, 1 goal, 23 disposlas @ 82% efficiency
Sam Gilbert 10 CPs, 23 disposals @ 82% efficiency
Hugh Goddard 11 1%-ers, 7 CPs, 13 disposals @92% efficiency

Great to see the lesser lights putting in solid efforts.

Very proud of our boys tonight, can't fault our effort but our skills let us down as it so often does.

As I said in the Bay you can have bad losses where you feel like you lost and good losses where you feel like you won, today was the latter.

That last quarter just showed what we're capable of, so much pride and passion for the jumper with our youngsters all chipping in to help the old guys.

To only lose by less than 3 goals to a Top 4 contender is a moral win and it would've been a real win if we didn't have the umpires against us as per usual.

Special mention to Nick Riewoldt, he was clearly hampered by that calf strain today but fought on to have an impact and lead the way like the champ he is.

Maddie would've been proud of him today.

I have no doubt Eli will be a very solid player, but I think he just needs another preseason. Give him another 2 or 3 games at AFL level and then back to the twos. Just needs longer to develop

Very proud of our boys tonight, can't fault our effort but our skills let us down as it so often does.

As I said in the Bay you can have bad losses where you feel like you lost and good losses where you feel like you won, today was the latter.

That last quarter just showed what we're capable of, so much pride and passion for the jumper with our youngsters all chipping in to help the old guys.

To only lose by less than 3 goals to a Top 4 contender is a moral win and it would've been a real win if we didn't have the umpires against us as per usual.

Special mention to Nick Riewoldt, he was clearly hampered by that calf strain today but fought on to have an impact and lead the way like the champ he is.

Maddie would've been proud of him today.
I really like everything else you said but please stop blaming the umpires for the loss, you're making yourself look like a sore loser. Umps weren't even bad today, free kicks were 24-21 in our favour. We lost because we played rubbish in the second and third quarters.

Think Eli definately has potential to be a very good player, and I bloody love him but you can't gloss over the fact he hasn't looked up to it when he's played seniors this year.
I'd provide him with some consistency. Either give him the message to dominate VFL for the remainder, big PS, and put yourself into Rd 1. Or, give him a run of a few games to let him build some confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possible Outs: Templeton, Ray, Lonie, (Roo)
(Templeton just not quite up to it atm, wouldn't mind giving him a run tho, because his replacements in Minchington and Schneider either aren't that much better)
(Ray quiet couple weeks, would love to get games into Brodie whilst fit and in form!!)
(Lonie quiet couple weeks as well, Sinclair for a full game. Could try Lonie as the sub next week)
(Will be interesting to see how Roo pulls up, only plays if fully fit, otherwise more games into Membrey is always a positive)
Possible Ins: Minchington, Murdoch, Schneider (Membrey)

Think it shows where Richmond are at. A top four team would have buried us. They stopped like they had been shot.

Really switched off at 3/4 time.

having said that, at least our team fought it out and kicked 6 in the last qtr.

Really like the run and spread.

Paddy ad a good run around, took a nice contested mark, a wonderful assist for a Mav goal and first goal for the Saints.

Goddard looked good, clean with his disposal and not out of place.

Sinclair was very good when he came on and even Eli who was quiet looked OK.

Gilbo had a great game and Mav the best game he has played for the Saints.

Disappointing but at least they played one decent quarter. In two years that will be consistent four quarters not one.

Think it shows where Richmond are at. A top four team would have buried us. They stopped like they had been shot.

Really switched off at 3/4 time.

having said that, at least our team fought it out and kicked 6 in the last qtr.

Really like the run and spread.

Paddy ad a good run around, took a nice contested mark, a wonderful assist for a Mav goal and first goal for the Saints.

Goddard looked good, clean with his disposal and not out of place.

Sinclair was very good when he came on and even Eli who was quiet looked OK.

Gilbo had a great game and Mav the best game he has played for the Saints.

Disappointing but at least they played one decent quarter. In two years that will be consistent four quarters not one.
Apparently Hardwick said to the Richmond players at 3QT be ruthless ;)

Wouldn't be much to gain from sending Eli back. Leave him in for the rest of the year and give him a solid run at it. What's the alternative, seeing Schneider out there again? Stick with the youth for the rest of the season. He'll get better.

Rapt that I can say I was there for Paddy's first AFL goal!

Ordinary result but a great day overall. 45,000 for Sunday twilight is a great result as I'm sure that's a time slot that a lot of people wouldn't even think about showing up for. Great atmosphere and it was amazing to see so much purple.

Good reply totally in the spirit of the ocassion.

Maybe your players could tackle legally?
why so cut for mate? just a bit of banter. I'm not wrong though, he is a diver. It wasn't even about that tackle. He marked the ball and Dempster gave him a slight bump and he fell over dramatically, as if the G-Train ran him over at full speed.

Did any one else notice how good the Tigers were at standing up or giving off a hand ball whilst tackled. It is a real skill and worked wonderfully for them as we werent able to stop their phase play. I reckon that is a skill that they must have practiced and is something our coaches need to look at. One is we need to be able to do the same, the other is we need to improve our tackling to prevent the release!

Did any one else notice how good the Tigers were at standing up or giving off a hand ball whilst tackled. It is a real skill and worked wonderfully for them as we werent able to stop their phase play. I reckon that is a skill that they must have practiced and is something our coaches need to look at. One is we need to be able to do the same, the other is we need to improve our tackling to prevent the release!
We do that a lot too & did it well in the last quarter. Armo, Weller, Dunstan are very good at it. Problem was earlier in the game we couldn't attempt to do it because Richmond closed down our options outside, so we'd hold onto it & chance our arm with the umps so as to not create an 'in play' turnover & get burned for it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back