R17: Adelaide v Hawthorn @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

We have lost quite a few important players over the last 10 years. The only two who are really hated are Tippett and Gunston. Nobody denies that the club needs to take a lot of the blame for how both of these situations went down, but both of those young men showed a lack of integrity.

Phil Davis, for instance, was set to be our CHB for the next 10 years. Got offered big bucks at GWS and took it. At that stage, we'd lost Bock and Talia hadn't played, so he was just as big of a loss as Gunston. The majority of crows fans, after the initial disappointment, hold no ill-feelings towards Phil, and many of us appreciate that he actually came out quite early and let the club know his intentions. It showed integrity.

Gunston, on the other hand, had agreed in terms to a new contract, and then called the club up on the night of our friggin B&F to say he was going home to Melbourne and demanded we trade him to Hawthorn specifically. Yes, young guys make mistakes, but I think it's fair enough that most Crows fans are a little pissed off about how that went down. We all knew how much potential he had, and we got way under his true value in return. Very disappointing, largely due to his actions.

Thompson and Jarman are hardly comparable to that.

It's amazing hawks fans carry on like they're great but they were gift wrapped Gunston and we were put over a barrel. Doesn't take talent or smarts to get given something rather than earning it

Gunston, on the other hand, had agreed in terms to a new contract, and then called the club up on the night of our friggin B&F to say he was going home to Melbourne and demanded we trade him to Hawthorn specifically.

Does it not occur to you that perhaps Gunston HAD intended to re-sign with Adelaide, then had a last minute change of mind after a trip back to Melbourne which reminded him how homesick he had become, and how much his family meant to him, and how hard it had been for him as a 19 year old to be away from them? So he changed his mind , decided he wanted to return to Melbourne, and had his manager contact Adelaide right away.

Would you have felt better as a fan if he had waited until after the B&F (so that Adelaide couldn't take back is best first year player award - forgive me if I got the exact award wrong)? Exactly what would have been a better way for Gunston to handle this once he had changed his mind on returning to Adelaide and deciding he wanted to stay in Melbourne? What steps should he have taken once he made that decision to make Adelaide fans happier?

What an awesome game of footy: both teams went hard, there were some brilliant moments. Watched it with a few crows mates and we had an awesome time.

You can all sook about Gunston if you want, but probably better sitting and appreciating the spectacle you just witness.

Sloane is a deadset gun. Pods kills us every time. I often wonder how good Afelaide would be if they had Tippet, Davis, bock, Gunston.
Probably would be a premiership contender.

You obviously know nothing about (or dont accept) how the Thompson deal went down.

Melbourne didnt want to lose him.

I guess you see it differently because in one case you lost a player to homesickness and the other you gained a player to homesickness.

Ah no. Thompson left Melbourne because he wasn't getting enough opportunities like Jacobs at Carlton. And Thompson doesn't have mummy issues

Does it not occur to you that perhaps Gunston HAD intended to re-sign with Adelaide, then had a last minute change of mind after a trip back to Melbourne which reminded him how homesick he had become, and how much his family meant to him, and how hard it had been for him as a 19 year old to be away from them? So he changed his mind , decided he wanted to return to Melbourne, and had his manager contact Adelaide right away.

Would you have felt better as a fan if he had waited until after the B&F (so that Adelaide couldn't take back is best first year player award - forgive me if I got the exact award wrong)? Exactly what would have been a better way for Gunston to handle this once he had changed his mind on returning to Adelaide and deciding he wanted to stay in Melbourne? What steps should he have taken once he made that decision to make Adelaide fans happier?

To be a man about it and tell the club face to face and give the club who had picked him and developed him a chance to get real value for him rather than telling the club he's going to sign and then running off to Melbourne and then just saying 'I'm not coming back'. Gutless

He wasn't very ineffective, stop sprouting your s**t. Your opinions on footy are just as bad as cricket!

So he must have won the match then? He was okay, but he was hardly effective and Dangerfield at his best kicks the ball!

What is it with Jenkins you don't like mate? Every second week when he kicks a bag you act like he's the worst player in the comp. He's looking alright for a basketball convert. 30 odd goals in 12 games this year.

You know a player is good if port pooter fans say he's crap.

To be a man about it and tell the club face to face and give the club who had picked him and developed him a chance to get real value for him rather than telling the club he's going to sign and then running off to Melbourne and then just saying 'I'm not coming back'. Gutless

You were very reasonably compensated for Gunston, at the time was an inconsistent forward. To his credit he is having an AA year now.

Jenkins was Adelaide's best. Hurting his ankle was a game changer.

His point stands. I was gobsmacked Danger had over 40, really had little impact mate. No need to get so pissy.

That happens when after doing the hard work ur team
Mates cough up the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto ...all those contested possessions didn't count for anything

I never said that, I said he wasn't effective. Sure he got a stack of CP...but what is better...41 tonight or 28-30 disposals and 3/4 of them kicks....surely the latter is better!

It's possible, but it's also speculation. There's 9 sides in Melbourne. Could have at least given us a couple of options to try and get something half-decent in return, rather than. "Oh hey about that contract I said I was going to sign - I'm out, and it's Hawthorn or I'm hitting the PSD".

There isn't a supporter base in the league that wouldn't hold ill sentiment towards player if they walked out like that. I'm not someone who boos him at games, and I don't condone the words of a lot of crows fans in this very thread, but I still don't like the guy. I'd wager you wouldn't either.

Ah no. Thompson left Melbourne because he wasn't getting enough opportunities like Jacobs at Carlton. And Thompson doesn't have mummy issues
No, Thompson was getting opportunities at Melbourne, but he'd had injury issues in his 4 years there. He did want to come home for family reasons/homesickness.

But he didn't leave on the eve of Melbourne's B&F, and didn't immediately select one club as his destination (Port were, at least to start with, part of the trade conversation). Melbourne ended up with pick 12, which was a fair bit closer to market value than what we got for Gunston, who created conditions which allowed Hawthorn to basically hold us over a barrel.

Pretty understandable. What is the point of going back and having a bunch of Adelaide heavyweights trying to convince him to stay when he had clearly decided to go at that point? That is exactly why you have an experienced manager to deal with that type of s**t. You can hardly expect a 19 year old to have the maturity to negotiate his own future in that type of situation. He did exactly the right thing, and had the guy who is paying to deal with that to contact Adelaide. If that is the best you can do to justify your angst over a young kid wanting to go home then you are all a bunch of crying babies, and calling Gunston a mummy's boy with tears rolling down your faces is highly ironic.

It's hard to make sense of that result because from everything I read Hawthorn were no chance. They were ravaged by injuries, distracted by the Lake debacle, falling out of form, playing at their fortress against a Crows outfit that had one its last 4 games at home to top 8 teams. Despite the above .... they won. Weird huh?

Who said they had no shot? Certainly not the bookies

Pretty understandable. What is the point of going back and having a bunch of Adelaide heavyweights trying to convince him to stay when he had clearly decided to go at that point? That is exactly why you have an experienced manager to deal with that type of s**t. You can hardly expect a 19 year old to have the maturity to negotiate his own future in that type of situation. He did exactly the right thing, and had the guy who is paying to deal with that to contact Adelaide. If that is the best you can do to justify your angst over a young kid wanting to go home then you are all a bunch of crying babies, and calling Gunston a mummy's boy with tears rolling down your faces is highly ironic.

Man enough to play football then he's man enough to make decisions and stand by them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back