R17: Adelaide v Hawthorn @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

But he didn't leave on the eve of Melbourne's B&F,

If he was a Hawthorn player leaving for Adelaide, I'd be pissed off if he kept quite, then went to our B&F knowing he wasn't coming back, accepted his best young player award, and then fled right afterwards.

and didn't immediately select one club as his destination (Port were, at least to start with, part of the trade conversation).
Melbourne ended up with pick 12, which was a fair bit closer to market value than what we got for Gunston, who created conditions which allowed Hawthorn to basically hold us over a barrel.

Melbourne got pick 12 because Thompson was mature enough for people to know how good he was going to be. Gunston was still a punt, had showed talent, but still raw enough that it was unclear exactly how good he was going to get (he'd only kicked more than 2 goals twice ever in his games at Adelaide - not unreasonable given his youth, and his 5 goal haul in his last game for Adelaide probably made things sting more than it would have otherwise). You got a higher pick than you used to get him (24, picked at 29), and got upgrades on two other picks. Perhaps not as much as you'd get if he hadn't picked a single preference, and other clubs were bidding for his services, but certainly not massive unders either.

If we'd had a dream run with injuries and a soft draw then who knows...
LOL crows are fully strength and have a better draw then us... But yet we are missing two main defenders and throughout the year have had ankle injuries to nearly all our experienced players plus monfries has been out most of the year but yet we are the lucky ones... Keep crying little boy

LOL crows are fully strength and have a better draw then us... But yet we are missing two main defenders and throughout the year have had ankle injuries to nearly all our experienced players plus monfries has been out most of the year but yet we are the lucky ones... Keep crying little boy

Had ankle injuries to nearly all our experienced players...Righto mate don't exaggerate much do u

Crying with joy over knocking u off top spot u mean

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man enough to play football then he's man enough to make decisions and stand by them

He made the decision to move back to Melbourne. Show some dignity and be man enough to accept the decision without so much hand wringing. I look forward to when your Coleman medalist winning forward opens negotiations with the team that he just lost to in a GF, and leaves for a $10 million contract subsidised by the AFL. If this is how you handle a 19 year old player with homesickness, and only 14 games under his belt, I can only imagine the size of the waaaambulance you'll all be riding if something like that happened to Adelaide (I'm thinking Tippet times 1000).

ITT: Port supporters with inferiority complex's bashing crows to make themselves feel better about the showdown loss. #WeToreYouApart

why the hate for Gunston...he has the chance to get out of boringlaide and live in Melbourne and play in premiership sides. no brainer. Danger should take note.

Too many passengers unfortunately. The difference between the two sides were that Hawthorn had a relatively even performance across the board while Adelaide had 4-5 guys who really struggled. Turnovers really hurt too, I recall at least 4-5 times a turnover from poor skill execution directly resulted in a Hawthorn goal and if not for Hawthorn's inaccuracy in the last quarter, it'd have been about 7-8. As has been the story all year, our skills just weren't up to scratch and good teams will punish you for such mistakes.

Our best is good enough, but unfortunately 2014 hasn't been the year we capture our best on a regular basis. Too many guys in our best 22 just don't have the games under their belt yet for that consistency and there are a couple who IMO are very lucky to still be getting games and probably won't be much longer.

why the hate for Gunston...he has the chance to get out of boringlaide and live in Melbourne and play in premiership sides. no brainer. Danger should take note.

Gunston was tapped up and walked out on the club in an incredibly petulant and childish way, completely screwing us and then giving a backhander to the city of Adelaide on the way out.

He is, and always will be a scumbag, and deserves every bit of treatment he gets from the crowd, even when he does only play one quarter of football.

Gunston was tapped up and walked out on the club in an incredibly petulant and childish way

Petulant and childish is exactly how I view Adelaide fan's reactions to a 19 year old , 14 game player wanting to go back home to be close to their family. I get your reaction to Tippet, but Gunston...not so much.

Gunston was tapped up and walked out on the club in an incredibly petulant and childish way, completely screwing us and then giving a backhander to the city of Adelaide on the way out.

He is, and always will be a scumbag, and deserves every bit of treatment he gets from the crowd, even when he does only play one quarter of football.

he's only human and a not a ninety yeard old ready to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back