Preview R17: Changes v St.Kilda: ANB, JKH out; Grimes, Michie in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the argument is, is that Stretch and ANB could use a rest, and whilst they out of the side, Matt Jones, who has shown he can play a role at times this year, wouldn't be the worst option to come in until they are ready to return. No one is saying he's best 22, no one is saying he has a future as best 22, all we are saying is that he is a depth player and COULD be used as such. Jesus.

Okeydokes, what I'm looking for here is what makes Jones apparently unequivocally better than the kids. We've gone through:
  • He gets more possessions... turns out he doesn't.
  • That's because he's spent less time on the ground... turns out he hasn't.
  • Now it's because he's older and has played more games and is fitter and stronger... which has translated into what on the park exactly?
All I can recall his usefulness coming to was only getting soundly beaten by his opponent when he was playing as a defensive forward against the Durgs and such. Has kicked the odd goal. Has certainly butchered more than a few I can recall. His disposal is ordinary. Apparently he is going to be beneficial to the team if we want to win games though. I'm not seeing it, and at the very least its debatable. If it wasn't, he'd be in the team every week.

Cherry pick what you'd like - I'll admit I thought he was sub in a couple more games (maybe hoped).

Jones offers more this week then Stretch or ANB as a midfielder I'd say.

Can you offer an actual reason instead of throwing around rubbish?

Okeydokes, what I'm looking for here is what makes Jones apparently unequivocally better than the kids. We've gone through:
  • He gets more possessions... turns out he doesn't.
  • That's because he's spent less time on the ground... turns out he hasn't.
  • Now it's because he's older and has played more games and is fitter and stronger... which has translated into what on the park exactly?
All I can recall his usefulness coming to was only getting soundly beaten by his opponent when he was playing as a defensive forward against the Durgs and such. Has kicked the odd goal. Has certainly butchered more than a few I can recall. His disposal is ordinary. Apparently he is going to be beneficial to the team if we want to win games though. I'm not seeing it, and at the very least its debatable. If it wasn't, he'd be in the team every week.

Jones is ahead of Stretch, ANB, Harmes and probably even JKH at this stage. If he wasn't such a turnover merchant, he probably would have played every game for the last 2 years.

We are giving plenty of game time to kids, so there's no need to panic about the future.

I actually couldn't give a stuff about getting games into kids for the rest of the year anyway to be honest - I am desperate for as many wins as possible before the year is out.

St Kilda actually have some pretty good runners that we'll need to match up on; Steven, Lonie, Newnes, Montagna, Armitage. Our inside brigade have no hope of going with those guys when the ball gets into space.

ANB, Stretch and Harmes will all get managed workloads for the rest of the year. If that means that short term your M Joneseses and Bails are getting games in the team to help the blokes have a bit of a freshen up I can live with that. Not much we can do about our depth until the draft/trade period.

While I'm fully aware of Matt Jones' shortcomings, that's just plain wrong. The job he did on Rob Murphy was pivotal to us winning that game. Murphy was held to his lowest possession tally for the year - and he got over half of them in the last quarter after Jones had been knocked out & subbed off.

I'd like to see him in this week. He's one of the few who might be able to limit Montagna who has a nasty habit of ripping us a new one every time we play them

Billy Stretch is a far better user of the ball & makes better decisions. I think he'll be a quality player but if he went to Montagna this week he'd blow up by half time

While I'm fully aware of Matt Jones' shortcomings, that's just plain wrong. The job he did on Rob Murphy was pivotal to us winning that game. Murphy was held to his lowest possession tally for the year - and he got over half of them in the last quarter after Jones had been knocked out & subbed off.

I'd like to see him in this week. He's one of the few who might be able to limit Montagna who has a nasty habit of ripping us a new one every time we play them

Billy Stretch is a far better user of the ball & makes better decisions. I think he'll be a quality player but if he went to Montagna this week he'd blow up by half time

We won by 40 odd points, Murphy had 20 odd disposals and Jones had 6. I think the other 21 blokes deserve a bit of credit as well, oddly enough. If Matty Jones is a weapon of a tagger and such a useful guy to have around, what's he doing in the VFL?

Stretch has been running out games okay. We have Viney, Cross and Vince who can tag players - I don't see Matt Jones or Stretch going to Montagna when any of those three will do a better job and win their own ball as well. Still Stretch for me thanks.

Cherry pick what you'd like - I'll admit I thought he was sub in a couple more games (maybe hoped).

Jones offers more this week then Stretch or ANB as a midfielder I'd say.

Can you offer an actual reason instead of throwing around rubbish?

Cherry picking stats for... every AFL game they've played this year? Eh? It'll take me a while to find Stretch's SANFL and Junior stats, so give me a bit of time but I'm sure we'll be able to get the complete picture soon.

Actual reasons, such as getting more of the ball, having disposal skills, composure with the ball, tackling more, having a future at the club after this season? Nah, can't come up with anything.

Cherry picking stats for... every AFL game they've played this year? Eh? It'll take me a while to find Stretch's SANFL and Junior stats, so give me a bit of time but I'm sure we'll be able to get the complete picture soon.

Actual reasons, such as getting more of the ball, having disposal skills, composure with the ball, tackling more, having a future at the club after this season? Nah, can't come up with anything.

My point is you're ignoring his career with us - I maintain at this stage of their careers Jones will have more impact in the midfield then those two boys.

If he wasn't such a turnover merchant, he probably would have played every game for the last 2 years.

He is though.

St Kilda actually have some pretty good runners that we'll need to match up on; Steven, Lonie, Newnes, Montagna, Armitage. Our inside brigade have no hope of going with those guys when the ball gets into space.

Armitage is slower than a wet week, Newnes is playing in the back half (M.Jones as a defensive defender? Revolutionary) and Jack Lonie was drafted last year. You're scraping the barrel there. None of our kids could go with another 18 year old. Vince and Viney will get Montagna and Steven, I'd think.

My point is you're ignoring his career with us - I maintain at this stage of their careers Jones will have more impact in the midfield then those two boys.

Nice. Really tangible stuff that. I hope Matt Jones' career can kick better than he can.

Nice. Really tangible stuff that. I hope Matt Jones' career can kick better than he can.

Neither Stretch or ANB have been flawless kicks mate.

I'm worried that if we carry both (when the last two games they've looked tired, as well as Brayshaw) we'll lose - hence giving them a rest for someone who can get more of the ball and link up this week makes sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither Stretch or ANB have been perfect kicks mate.

I'm worried that if we carry both (when the last two games they've looked tired, as well as Brayshaw) we'll lose - hence giving them a rest for someone who can get more of the ball and link up this week makes sense to me.

No s**t, but they're better than Jones.

ANB played a quarter last week - I doubt he was tuckered out from that.

I'll bet it does. After all this, I guess we've learned that Matt Jones is definitely a better player but we're not sure why or what Roos has been thinking playing him in the VFL. One of the great mysteries.

No s**t, but they're better than Jones.

ANB played a quarter last week - I doubt he was tuckered out from that.

I'll bet it does. After all this, I guess we've learned that Matt Jones is definitely a better player but we're not sure why or what Roos has been thinking playing him in the VFL. One of the great mysteries.

Well, obviously they're better kicks then Jones.

I don't think it's that simple.

I'm open to the idea of Jones in the side for one of ANB/Stretch.

What I think is more worrying is guys like Newton and Michie can't get a game over first year players. Still, I think we will win on Sunday.

He is though.

I know he is. That's why I said he is.

Armitage is slower than a wet week, Newnes is playing in the back half (M.Jones as a defensive defender? Revolutionary) and Jack Lonie was drafted last year. You're scraping the barrel there. None of our kids could go with another 18 year old. Vince and Viney will get Montagna and Steven, I'd think.

Yeh I probably should have left Lonie out, but he does have some explosive pace.

Montagna is the obvious match up - unless Vince goes to him.

I dont understand why you can't look past him being a fringe player, and seeing that we need to use them every so often - particularly when we had 6 first year players in the side last week.

No-one is suggesting he's a quality player, unfortunately we have a large number of poor players as well as a large group of young players, so he's going to get games by default, if nothing else.

The reason I suggest Jones ahead of Newton, Michie, Riley et al, is that he is a better outside runner, and I think we are currently weighted towards inside midfielders.

I know he is. That's why I said he is.

I know you know he is. I know that's why you said he is. That's why he hasn't played every game for the last two years. If he was Gary Ablett he would've played every game for the last two years. If he was better than he is he'd be a better player than he is, etc etc etc.

Yeh I probably should have left Lonie out, but he does have some explosive pace.

Montagna is the obvious match up - unless Vince goes to him.

I dont understand why you can't look past him being a fringe player, and seeing that we need to use them every so often - particularly when we had 6 first year players in the side last week.

No-one is suggesting he's a quality player, unfortunately we have a large number of poor players as well as a large group of young players, so he's going to get games by default, if nothing else.

The reason I suggest Jones ahead of Newton, Michie, Riley et al, is that he is a better outside runner, and I think we are currently weighted towards inside midfielders.

I'm not sure half you blokes you can read. Way back, I said its debatable that Matt Jones is a better player than Stretch. I know Jones is a fringe player, I'm fine with it, but I'd play Stretch ahead of him. Apparently that's flipping outrageous. Paul Roos must be tripping balls. No one has said what it is that Matt Jones does so well as to merit promotion. He has played defensive forward. Lovely for him. We presently have many guys capable of tagging and winning their own ball. We also have a lot more numbers to run through the midfield than we used to. Why bring in Matt Jones for Stretch or ANB?

I know you know he is. I know that's why you said he is. That's why he hasn't played every game for the last two years. If he was Gary Ablett he would've played every game for the last two years. If he was better than he is he'd be a better player than he is, etc etc etc.

I'm not sure half you blokes you can read. Way back, I said its debatable that Matt Jones is a better player than Stretch. I know Jones is a fringe player, I'm fine with it, but I'd play Stretch ahead of him. Apparently that's flipping outrageous. Paul Roos must be tripping balls. No one has said what it is that Matt Jones does so well as to merit promotion. He has played defensive forward. Lovely for him. We presently have many guys capable of tagging and winning their own ball. We also have a lot more numbers to run through the midfield than we used to. Why bring in Matt Jones for Stretch or ANB?

Shut up.

..I've started drinking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back