Preview R18 St Kilda v Port @ Adelaide Oval - Sunday 1:10 (Foxtel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said that Wright's kicking is a liability (which it is). Geary has an important role to play over next few years with his leadership and hardness even though his kicking is horrible. If we are serious about being successful then we can't carry players who can't hit targets, but that's three years away.
I rate Nat Wright.

His kicking in 2013 wasn't even that bad, before he got his jaw smashed.

I see Wright becoming a full time mid imho.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I said that Wright's kicking is a liability (which it is). Geary has an important role to play over next few years with his leadership and hardness even though his kicking is horrible. If we are serious about being successful then we can't carry players who can't hit targets, but that's three years away.
"If we are serious about being successful then we can't carry players who can't hit targets,"

God we'd lose half a side if we used that criteria

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Blake has only played 2 games since recovering from his broken hand. Was really good week 1 and played a good 2nd half last week.

He obviously needs a few games back just to get back to some sort of match fitness.

There's absolutely nothing sinister in him not getting selected IMO.

With Roo out its a good chance to give Tom a run up forward & giving Billy a spell in the ruck. Hopefully he'll show he's got a few strings to his bow & increase his trade value
Is that it for Lee then?

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
Lee contracted for 2016. I think we're done eating bad contracts.

OOC Sam Gilbert, Arryn Siposs, Farren Ray, Tom Simpkin, Sean Dempster, Sam Fisher, Lewis Pierce, Spencer White, Darren Minchington, Daniel Markworth,
Ahmed Saad, Brenton Payne & Adam Schneider.

With possibly only one senior list retirement (Fisher), you'd have to say Siposs, Simpkin, Pierce & White are in huge trouble, and I wouldn't be feeling overly comfortable if I was Gilbert, Ray, Minchington or Markworth, considering none of them are in the side this week (for whatever reason).

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
There have certainly been blokes in the league who've been poor kicks and have developed into good kicks.

I just can't remember ever seeing it at St Kilda.

Loewe improved significantly under Peter Hudson it is technique issue .

Jobe Watson was a poor kick improved with experience and concentrating on handball

Would love going forward for next year pre season Wright be given a crack in the middle
Speed is fantastic , aggressive ,great tackler , think he could develop into fantastic tagger .
Hitting targets around stoppages with handball releasing guys who can kick the ball.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Lee contracted for 2016. I think we're done eating bad contracts.

OOC Sam Gilbert, Arryn Siposs, Farren Ray, Tom Simpkin, Sean Dempster, Sam Fisher, Lewis Pierce, Spencer White, Darren Minchington, Daniel Markworth,
Ahmed Saad, Brenton Payne & Adam Schneider.

With possibly only one senior list retirement (Fisher), you'd have to say Siposs, Simpkin, Pierce & White are in huge trouble, and I wouldn't be feeling overly comfortable if I was Gilbert, Ray, Minchington or Markworth, considering none of them are in the side this week (for whatever reason).

I reckon Sam Gilbert will get a new 2 year contract as long as his body stands up to few games in a row. He has been really good for us on the wing (or where ever he has been playing)

Given the need to be able to hit the side of a barn I'd persevere with Minchington, Markworth. Siposs depends on the next few weeks.

Spencer - I'd sit him down in front of 100,000 $5 notes and a shovel and say take you pick. Trouble is I think they may have done that already for a zip response.

Sad to say Tom Simpkin won't be there next year and neither will Pierce

Dopey BJ

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon Sam Gilbert will get a new 2 year contract as long as his body stands up to few games in a row. He has been really good for us on the wing (or where ever he has been playing)

Given the need to be able to hit the side of a barn I'd persevere with Minchington, Markworth. Siposs depends on the next few weeks.

Pierce, he was always going a along term project, if we can give him time to prove himself there is going to be trade valuepencer - I'd sit him down in front of 100,000 $5 notes and a shovel and say take you pick. Trouble is I think they may have done that already for a zip response.

Sad to say Tom Simpkin won't be there next year and neither will Pierce
Not sure about Pierce, he was always going to be a along term project, if we can give him time to prove himself there is going to be trade value with other clubs looking for a Ruckman with us having Longer, Hickey, Holmes and Pierce we could get a good player for 1 of those

So...

Roo (193cm) > Hickey (201cm)
Lonie (174cm) > Membrey (188cm)
Gilbert > McKenzie

That means our forward line just gained 21cm for a game in conditions that call for a shorter forward line.

I hear tanks sink in wet weather...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that the clean kicking and form of Savage and Bob have allowed us to move JWeb onto the wing. Should be interesting to see his clean kicking into the forward line, and his tough defensive pressure going the other way.

Periphery

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
So...

Roo (193cm) > Hickey (201cm)
Lonie (174cm) > Membrey (188cm)
Gilbert > McKenzie

That means our forward line just gained 21cm for a game in conditions that call for a shorter forward line.

I hear tanks sink in wet weather...

BOM is predicting a 50% chance of light showers (0-1mm) for Sunday morning.

Phoenix_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
2 kpfs(Bruce and McCartin), a resting ruck(hickey) and a medium tall(Membrey) forward line is finally getting its first run of the season. Only problem is... It's going to be in less than ideal conditions.
I think it could work at Etihad but think we're going in too too heavy.
Hop it works tho!

Hayes4PM

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ross stiffffff! But not unhappy with the IN's by any means. Hickey was always a definite with Ryder finding form and also having Lobbe in their team. Surprised D Mac got the call up honestly but happy to see him get another game. We'll need his pace if we're any chance of competing with Port. We'll need all the pace we can get! Would not be surprised if Membrey plays even more on a wing/high-half forward than he was before.

Dopey BJ

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ross stiffffff! But not unhappy with the IN's by any means. Hickey was always a definite with Ryder finding form and also having Lobbe in their team. Surprised D Mac got the call up honestly but happy to see him get another game. We'll need his pace if we're any chance of competing with Port. We'll need all the pace we can get! Would not be surprised if Membrey plays even more on a wing/high-half forward than he was before.
There was a bit of talk about Armo being sore, Sebby is the logical replacement if he doesn't come up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back