Review R20 v North

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres ability to break tackles and get his arms free to handball to advantage is Pendlebury like.

He's going to be a player.
I know this isn't going to be a popular post... but...

Just cos he can break tackles and get his arms free means that he will be 'a player?' In my opinion, in his 10 games of AFL, he hasn't shown that he will be. He struggles to kick, and struggles to handball it 5-10 metres. And that's the truth. That's what he has shown us. I hope he becomes everything some of you are saying he will turn out to be. But from his first game, and his 10th game, he hasn't shown much improvement in my opinion.

Just cos he can break tackles and get his arms free means that he will be 'a player?' In my opinion, in his 10 games of AFL, he hasn't shown that he will be. He struggles to kick, and struggles to handball it 5-10 metres. And that's the truth. That's what he has shown us. I hope he becomes everything some of you are saying he will turn out to be. But from his first game, and his 10th game, he hasn't shown much improvement in my opinion.
The truth is he goes back to the VFL dominated in the midfield and then plays on the flanks in the afl

each to their own, but the club is pretty bullish about him, which is a good sign. I also reckon he'll be a gun

well, somebody know where we can find goal kicking boots?

Well that went to sh1t fast. But even with that putrid second half we still had nearly as many shots (bad finishing is unfortunately becoming a recurring theme). Should have been 10 goals in front before we faded

On the positive side:

Armo - Sensational

Newnes – Very good

Weller, Bruce & Goddard - Battled really hard

Wright & Minchi also showed some signs early. Acres had a couple of flashes of something special and I thought Saunders was serviceable as the sub. All should play the rest of the year.

Special mention to Tom Hickey. Of course he is a ruckman not a forward, but full credit to Richo for being patient and giving him this year of development. Anyone remember when our sole plan B was Dawson to FF?

Not going to turn too negative because we all know where we are at. But I simply have to mention how extraordinarily frustrating Geary and Gilbert are every single week. They provide leadership and protect the kids - so for now they remain valuable – but both absolutely need to be phased out long before we are playing finals.

Anyway onto the draft for mids, mids and more mids

One last thing, - L.Thomas is the biggest flog to wear a North Melbourne jumper since this bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldstein killed us today , doubled hit outs , destroyed in clearances thanks to hits to advantage .

Dempster - don't get injured ever again.

Goddard - great effort for a big first year player.

Mav - enjoy your ten years with the Saints

Hickey - good signs. Held some marks

Minch - from my dodgy feed seemed to play most of the time forward - should have kicked 4. Keep

Joey - I know 33 possessions but sorry but I'm over him

Roo - injured

Saunders - No

Memo to List Managers

Rule 1 - don't draft anyone who can't kick

Rule 2 - see above

Bad

Accuracy
Steven - 10 touches in the first, 11 for the rest of the match :eek:
sincs quiet
longer also
frustrating to watch (a personal bad)

but all in all it was a lot more frustrating than straight badness, we were right in it and if we kicked well it would have gone down to the wire.

Good
Roo
Mav - kicking has significantly improved!
Huge Goddard
Sticky - best forward game yet, played like a true CHF :eek:
Newnes
Dempster - courage personified
Spiderman websterer
wright was ok
armo

also, really don't understand the gilbert hate, was quite good i thought. 8 tackles for one. Strong, good pressure, was playing forward so brain fades aren't quite as significant, i remember a good spot up i50 kick, 21 touches

the hardest thing to watch though is high tackles paid when a player drops their knees, kills me

you have bagged three players so far, are you going for a record or something.

If you dont see the value of Newnes there is no point talking to you

If you were happy with that first half, great. I wasn't.

There was plenty of promising signs, but plenty of sub standard stuff.

I'm not going to pump tyres for the sake of it.

There's a bit of hype on our board and in the media about Newnes that he will keep progressing and become a very good player.

I don't see it. I think he is close to his ceiling.

That may be well off the mark, I hope I'm wrong.

Dempster - don't get injured ever again.

Goddard - great effort for a big first year player.

Mav - enjoy your ten years with the Saints

Hickey - good signs. Held some marks

Minch - from my dodgy feed seemed to play most of the time forward - should have kicked 4. Keep

Joey - I know 33 possessions but sorry but I'm over him

Roo - injured

Saunders - No

Memo to List Managers

Rule 1 - don't draft anyone who can't kick

Rule 2 - see above

Memo No3 to list manager - Get BENNELL !

Such a terrific first half, but missed too many opportunities once again

Second half was really poor, not a great deal of positives to come out of that.

Armo was terrific, 28 touches at 90% effeciency. Also 7 clearances and 7 tackles. He and Newnes were probably our best two, Newnes also going at 90% with his 26 touches.

Our forward line of Rooey, Bruce and Hickey worked really well when the ball was delivered well, but unfortunately we sprayed too many kicks coming in and missed a lot of opportunites kicking for goal. Minchi looked good at times, could have kicked 3 or 4.

Dempster was great again and while Goddard got beaten a few times (can't blame him in that 3rd qtr really) he did a lot of good things, he will be one of the best defenders in the comp in 4 to 5 years time.

Jack Stevens kicking was terrible again today unfortunately. Sinclair might need a spell I reckon, he didn't seem to be playing with the same enthusiasm as usual. Acres isn't quite there yet, just the 10 touches in nealry 80% game time and Saunders didn't take his opportunity when he got it.

Had to post this here as the gameday thread is now closed.

Acres is only young and has had injury problems so has lacked continuity and full fitness, he's shown good signs in the games he's played imo.

He's can find space and can find the ball, he's smart in traffic and like I said can get away a handball under tackling pressure, just needs to work on his kicking skills.

Pendlebury wasn't that great until he had 4 or 5 seasons under his belt.

I'm not saying Acres will be as good as Pendlebury but he's a long term keeper with serious potential, we just need to keep pumping games into him and get a few more big pre-seasons under his belt.

He'll be a good player for us, mark my words.

Apart from Acres I was also very impressed by Goddard and Weller out of our younger brigade, Sinclair was impressive early too but as he so often does faded out of the game.

If Sinclair can work on building his tank he will be a superstar mid/forward for us, has no shortage of skill and confidence.

Goddard has amazing composure for a kid in his first year, seems like an old head already and Mav Weller is just a bull with his workrate and competitiveness.

If you were happy with that first half, great. I wasn't.

There was plenty of promising signs, but plenty of sub standard stuff.

I'm not going to pump tyres for the sake of it.

There's a bit of hype on our board and in the media about Newnes that he will keep progressing and become a very good player.

I don't see it. I think he is close to his ceiling.

That may be well off the mark, I hope I'm wrong.

What's wrong if Newnes' current output is his ceiling? He has been extremely consistent the last two months, he's a pretty good kick, a strong mark, attacks the ball hard and tackles well (despite only one today).

Not every player turns out to be a star.

I'm keen to put that wasteful 2nd quarter on the senior players.

Riewoldt kicks those goals in the 2nd, that sets the standard.

He may be a small man, but Joey needs to understand that his example matters and when he doesn't stick a tackle or put his head over the ball it's not a good look.

Ross was good I thought.

Minchington showed enough to be given the rest of the season.

Goddard will keep learning, but showed glimpses. 18 years old and doing a job on Petrie.

Wright improving - appears to be thinking more about his kicking, which is a start.

Bruce has fallen away, has stopped jumping at the ball (or maybe his opponents are more wary of his leap).

Hickey showed enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back