Review R20 v North

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross' game has been a bit underrated. 20 disposals and had some absolute pearler kicks. I've seen enough from him to be very confident in his ball use moving forward.

Here's our accuracy (for the season) over the course of the year (the value is points per scoring shot)

View attachment 163476

Fascinating. Thanks for that. If my maths is right (I was guessing a little what the exact values on your chart were), that's 3.68 in games we lost and 3.75 in games we won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have absolutely no fear that we'll end up like Norf for one simple reason - leadership. North's biggest problem for years has been a lack of leaders. This has two sources - first no senior players with leadership ability (Harvey, I mean, really) so there's no decent leadership culture at that club - hasn't been since the Carey implosion. Second, I don't reckon they drafted with leadership as a big factor in who they chose. It's very clear that we haven't made either of those mistakes - we kept our best leaders and drafted those with leadership qualities.

Having said that, we currently have a potential problem in common with North - speed, as the guy mentioned in that article. North never had the balls to trade out one or two of their slow players (and then brought in Dalla, who is neither a leader nor speedy as much as I love him), and I think at the appropriate time we will need to do that (still a few years off). But having watched our rebuild, I am confident that they'll continue to be bold.

Had a look at the first half again and for once actually looked closely at how we try and enter the forward 50. Confirmed what I always thought - more often than not we kick it long to a contest.

More than half of our entries are long kicks (40 m+) and of those more 2/3 are just bombed to a contest the rest appear to be an attempt to pass but the distance gives the defenders a 50/50 chance to spoil.

So what is it

a That's the team rule

b The player with the ball doesn't look short

c We have no forwards leading up the ground

It seems to me that there is very little attempt to spread the ball around the 50 arc to create any space or much run from behind to draw opposition defenders out of position
Noticed this throughout the whole season.

More recently we've tried using Savage to effect, however it had been a long time coming.

Bah, I'll leave it to the 'we know football, you don't' brigade to speculate on this week's team 500 times in a row.

We're very lucky. North were rebuilding when all the top end talent was going to two teams when at the same time we were contending.

Also for the three years of their rebuild North hovered around 9th/10th on the ladder. That gets you 1 top 20 draft pick a year in compromised drafts, whereas the last couple of years we've gotten 3 a year (last year close enough) and hopefully we're not done.

Fascinating. Thanks for that. If my maths is right (I was guessing a little what the exact values on your chart were), that's 3.68 in games we lost and 3.75 in games we won.

Fehring, that's a rolling average, so the difference is actually much more stark. In wins we've kicked 95.66 for 3.95 points per scoring shot, and 124.150 in losses for 3.26 points per scoring shot.

On the other hand, we've only lost one game this year when we've had more scoring shots than the opposition (round 13 v WB), while we beat the Gold Coast while having fewer scoring shots. But that doesn't take into account situations like Saturday when we may have gotten further enough in front if we had kicked straight to "kill the contest".

A comment about Goddard. I watched him do something really strong and clever and then he ran into a dead end alley. He hand-balled it to another player, but that player go caught and it became a North goal. I love that he bustled through and experience will show him to look further afield. This incident was a metaphor for the game. Our young players will learn from games like this and a number of them did a range of good things as well as making mistakes.
From memory he handballed it to Montagna. Who then missed the opportunity to dispose (even if it was kick long) and handballed back to Goddard. That should be part of your metaphor, that a young team needs the older heads to guide them and smooth over the cracks, and when the old heads aren't getting that done...well the team is going to get caught out from time to time.

The way the kids are trained now is to avoid giving away possession, so sometimes the long kick is rejected over the handpass. If the disposal by hands leads to a turnover, it's often closer to our goal.

From memory he handballed it to Montagna. Who then missed the opportunity to dispose (even if it was kick long) and handballed back to Goddard. That should be part of your metaphor, that a young team needs the older heads to guide them and smooth over the cracks, and when the old heads aren't getting that done...well the team is going to get caught out from time to time.

That play happened right in front of me. Goddard screwed up. Montagna had no chance to dispose of the ball effectively. Goddard just hesitated too long - you could see that he just felt so much more pressure then he was under. Panicked.

finally watching the game just on the 2nd quarter now
acres handballing is now diabolical. i cant remember the last time he didnt drop the ball 2m onto the ground in front of his target

Must be to do with his injured hand. He is still wearing a glove no ?

Must be to do with his injured hand. He is still wearing a glove no ?

except this was happening well before he broke his hand. grubbing kicks, handballs not even making the required distance

roo absolutely lost it at him for one against norf. i reckon it wont be long before people get absolutely sick of it

except this was happening well before he broke his hand. grubbing kicks, handballs not even making the required distance

roo absolutely lost it at him for one against norf. i reckon it wont be long before people get absolutely sick of it
Fair enough

Roo doesn't miss many with his sprays.

in fairness to roo, he's toned it down a lot this year. when he loses it, its usually justified...

acres had it coming. never seen a bloke be so half arsed in his disposal... i cant remember seeing a bloke grubbing so many kicks or handballing straight to the ground. its worse than anything ive seen in the WAFL to be honest

needs to be fixed ASAP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back