Preview R22 St Kilda v Sydney (Etihad)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I heard Richo say that longer has gone in for shoulder surgery so it looks like Holmes will play the remainder of the year

If we have a midfield brigade consisting of Armo, Joey, Steven, Roo and Gilbo, with Holmes in the ruck jumping on heads, a forward line consisting of Bruce, Hickey, Mav, Minch and possibles like Membrey, Lonie, Sinclair and Schneider and a backline consisting of the likes of Fisher, Dempster, Roberton, Savage, Geary, Newnes and Goddard, it might actually be the strongest and best balanced team we've put out on the park all year- especially with Roo and Gilbo really adding some strength, size, experience and ability to the midfield that has been very shallow all year.

I'm actually really excited to see how we go going forward if we continue to play Roo and Gilbo in and around the midfield, as they could completely transform that area for us overnight and we saw that not having Nick forward didn't affect our ability to kick a score on the weekend. Gilbo could be a bit of weapon for us playing mostly on ball and then resting forward, where he is a threat in both the air and on the ground and where he would provide some serious tackling pressure. Every time he's pushed forward this year I reckon he's given us something up there, so it may be that he's over his dislike of playing there now.

Really excited to see how it all goes next year in particular, when so many of the young ones have another preseason under their belts and many more are hopefully ready for much more midfield time (eg. Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Sinclair). No reason why we couldn't really push up the ladder if things really fell into place, especially if we do manage to land a Carlisle/Motlop/Kelly type, who is ready to go immediately.

Last edited:
The other thing about Roo playing midfield is that it completely screws up the opposition player. No tall defender can keep up with him when he's running all over the place, and no midfielder will be able to match him when he drifts forward. He may well kick 2-3 goals as that midfielder anyway.

Yep, that's what I've been arguing for years, since the 2010 GF replay week, when I wanted us to push him up to the wing after it became obvious in the drawn game that they had his measure up forward, with Brown on him and Maxwell playing loose in front and cutting off his supply.

With so many tall options up forward now there really isn't any excuse to not give it an extended go.

Yep, that's what I've been arguing for years, since the 2010 GF replay week, when I wanted us to push him up to the wing after it became obvious in the drawn game that they had his measure up forward, with Brown on him and Maxwell playing loose in front and cutting off his supply.

With so many tall options up forward now there really isn't any excuse to not give it an extended go.

Ugh... I always think back to how we lined up in the second half of game 1 - Gilbert at CHF, Roo on a wing, Goddard and Milne at FF, Kosi in the ruck. We make a great comeback and nearly pinch it after the Pies missed their chances in the first half.

Then a week later we are back to the same old - Kosi FF, Roo CHF, Gilbert HBF and Goddard HBF... and Then the Pies take their chances and blow us away!

******* Ross Lyon bullshit...

I think I heard Richo say that longer has gone in for shoulder surgery so it looks like Holmes will play the remainder of the year
I just want him to play round 23 against Nic nat

Ugh... I always think back to how we lined up in the second half of game 1 - Gilbert at CHF, Roo on a wing, Goddard and Milne at FF, Kosi in the ruck. We make a great comeback and nearly pinch it after the Pies missed their chances in the first half.

Then a week later we are back to the same old - Kosi FF, Roo CHF, Gilbert HBF and Goddard HBF... and Then the Pies take their chances and blow us away!

******* Ross Lyon bullshit...
Losing Gardiner hurt us most

Sydney actually better be a little careful here. The whole emotion around Schneids could have the "Lenny effect". The kids LOVE Schneids, and the whole team could come out breathing fire, while a top finals contender could easily come out a little complacent...

... remind you of anything?
Cmon saints do it! You'll have the tigers, Kangas and dogs all cheering for you come Sunday!!
If you play like you did against the cats you're a real show is reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GO SAINTS. Every Tiger will be in your corner this weekend.

Question for you guys, what happened to Spencer White? He looked great against us last year.
A range of factors. We had less need for him: we recruited McCartin at #1, Bruce has come on as a top-10 forward this year, Membrey has come on as a third tall, and we're playing Hickey as a forward-ruck. He's also had some problems with his ankle. Plus there's been some personal issues that White has been facing this year, according to some, although the specifics of those are not generally known, it's seriously hurt his footy. They reckon he's asked to be traded or delisted so he can start afresh at a new club.

A range of factors. We had less need for him: we recruited McCartin at #1, Bruce has come on as a top-10 forward this year, Membrey has come on as a third tall, and we're playing Hickey as a forward-ruck. He's also had some problems with his ankle. Plus there's been some personal issues that White has been facing this year, according to some, although the specifics of those are not generally known, it's seriously hurt his footy. They reckon he's asked to be traded or delisted so he can start afresh at a new club.

Appreciate the reply. Yes Josh Bruce has been a star this year. Credit to Alan Richardson who could have marked his card last year when he struggled down back but showed faith in him by moving him forward.

dislike The Swans cos the took Plugger, Hall & O'Brien.
Heck, im probably a bit pissed about them taking Jayson Daniels as well.
And maybe even a little pissed off that they gave Jack and his wonky foot back:eek::p
Throw in the C.O.L.A bullshit and then the Hall punch into Goose's stomach was the icing on the cake.
Also find it funny how their Vic supporters call them the Syd Swans when they are crap but as soon as they make the finals they are the Bloods.
Your the Swans. Your named after a very effeminate looking bird so just live with it.
Hope we can cause a boil over and beat em:mad:

We could do OK if we control the ball at stoppages enough, but if we let the Swans out the back door and leave their forward line unguarded like we did against the Cats, then we will pay big time. Not sure what Richo was doing with his defensive game against the Cats, but they just had way way too much space to move.

We could do OK if we control the ball at stoppages enough, but if we let the Swans out the back door and leave their forward line unguarded like we did against the Cats, then we will pay big time. Not sure what Richo was doing with his defensive game against the Cats, but they just had way way too much space to move.
He identified after the game that losing Dempster and Roberton was just too damaging to the team defence. Expect them in this week, and that to help significantly.

Schneids, Lonie, Armo, Roberton, Dempster are virtually all guaranteed ins. I could see Longer and Sincs being wrapped in cotton wool from here.

Out? Saunders is for-sure, for Schneids to come in instead. Shenton for Dempster. I'd love to keep Murdoch in, and I think it's unfair that he'll be dropped, but I suspect he will be. Apart from that, though... ugh. It's a tough one. It's really hard to drop anybody else after that performance against Geelong: Dunstan? Nah... Ross? Hell no. Ray? Not for his mate's last game.

No fun at the selection table this week.

Oh, and thanks AFL for ANOTHER Sunday game, so we won't even know tomorrow night anyway, because all we'll get is an extended bench.

Well to be fair to Richo the game plan did deliver a draw and should have resulted in a win...

Given that we look like needing to find spots for at least 5 (Armo, Dempster, Robbo, Schneids and probably Lonie), I wouldn't be surprised if we have another one or two either put out to pasture for the year, or at least given a week off due to a niggle that they would usually play with, as I think happened to some of those who missed last week. Won't be surprised if Dunstan fits one of those two categories, preferably the first one.

Really interesting to see what happens with Longer, given that Holmes parents are supposedly coming over for this week's game, which presumably means he's been told he's playing. I personally believe Holmes in the ruck made us a better team on the weekend than we would have been had Billy been in his place (our scores from clearances was very high and probably a lot higher than it usually is), so I'm perfectly fine with Jason getting the nod again this week, even if it means Billy plays for Sandy.

No Armitage, Dempster, Roberton, Sinclair or Longer on the injury list. Wright done for the year, Lonie to be tested.
Holmes should be selected. Shouldn't he? His parents are coming over

Really interesting to see what happens with Longer, given that Holmes parents are supposedly coming over for this week's game, which presumably means he's been told he's playing. I personally believe Holmes in the ruck made us a better team on the weekend than we would have been had Billy been in his place (our scores from clearances was very high and probably a lot higher than it usually is), so I'm perfectly fine with Jason getting the nod again this week, even if it means Billy plays for Sandy.
Pretty sure Longer is going in for shoulder surgery so will be out for the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back