Review R23: Port v Fremantle Review

Remove this Banner Ad

We shoulda coulda woulda...

"We werent good enough"...well no I think we were better than freo for majority of the game....they had a 9 goal run which could of easily been stopped if we didnt fluff chance after chance at goals

Pittard ....honestly what does he provide? a few running bounces which are like 50/50 to come off...costs us way too much momentum doesnt really defend and cant even kick the ball out...

Ebert.....our vc has been a shadow of himself since his 40 possession game...lost his awareness ...he is the worst decision maker in our team...really lost his leadership...his opponent dominated him from neale to mundy

Gray was bog but he is so not clutch in front of goals...

monfries was an absolute waste...

impey really felt for him I really did his opponent which he held for 2 qtrs was the difference today

Hombsch pantsed in the first half but came back strong in the 2nd half

bobbie while had bad moments pav really didnt do much...

lobbe was great but really tired against 3 ruckmen on subi

Shultz just we would be lost without him really

Boak battled hard tried to lift us but crowley is the best in the business

Kane beat stephen hill really

Moore ....I cant be bothered just like his efforts today

Hamish...becoming godlike he is so good now..With consistentcy

Wingard was awesome his goal that hit the post was crushing and deflating but man when he turns it on he so good to watch

Just watched the replay as i had to work during the game. a couple of quick observations through the game
Freo forwards got a number of uncontested marks which they kicked goals from. the port player was regularly 5-10 metres away from them when they took the marks. Then you look at our forwards re uncontested marks was a big difference. Also many of freo uncontested marks were within 15- 20 degrees of the corridor

One thing i really like about Wingard is that he attacks the ball and if he doesnt mark it at least he provides a contest. A couple of times freo had a very easy uncontested mark in our f50

I wish some of our players used flat drop punts (think back to the geelong hawthorn game earlier this year to see what i mean in the way geelong kicked the ball into the f50 it didnt give the hawks players the hangtime in the air so they could punch the ball away as much) when kicking it forward as a number of times when we kicked it forward by the time the footy got there a freo player had enough time to punch/spoil the footy.

If we beat the Tiges and Sydney beat Freo, we will meet Freo in Perth again in two weeks time..... will be harder next time.....

If Freo win, then Sydney in Sydney..... We then won't meet them until the Grand Final (prefer a neutral ground).

The inside 50's stat makes it look as if our forward line is a massive issue, but I came away more worried that our back line just couldn't make stops where theirs did.
yep just like this time last year, their small forwards killed us. despite some poor kicking at goal at times the forward line was effective, schulz playing as a proper full forward kicking 6, wingard got some form back, westhoff and hartlett chipping in with a couple, gray effective up forward, although his misses were very costly, we always looked dangerous going forward.

If we beat the Tiges and Sydney beat Freo, we will meet Freo in Perth again in two weeks time..... will be harder next time.....

If Freo win, then Sydney in Sydney..... We then won't meet them until the o NGO Final (prefer a neutral ground).
We get them coming back from the east coast two out of three weeks, we just need to straighten up a bit and anything could happen.

It is devastating to say this but I have not seen a player so scared on a football field than I did yesterday in Pittard.

Every time there was and is a 50/50 contest he over runs the ball, fumbles, does pirouettes, misses body contact........anything to not get hurt.

He cannot play in the finals no matter what

Unfortunately he will only let us down in a pressure game, he is decent when there are no bodies near him but that does not happen in September.

Play O'Shea Kenny and let's get on with September

Yeah backlines were a huge let down.

I don't think we won a single matchup there.

I'd happily overload our backlines with defenders if it keeps it stable. Our game plan ends and starts from there.
I thought TJ was great, I think everyone is being a little harsh on the defence when it's the midfield that need to take as much of the blame.

We need to be cleaner and run harder backwards.

As ford said this is a journey we are still missing a few pieces of the puzzle but we are heading in the right direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moore is vanilla. I keep on saying it, I have yet to see what attributes he has to be a consistent AFL footballer. Nothing stands out.

So true. Completely different at AFL level compared to being a beast at SANFL level.

The game was a bit like our whole season in a funny way. Strong start and around the midway point we were looking like running away with it (11-1) before crumbling into a frustrating heap (rounds 15-20) and then slowly gaining some of that earlier form late in the game.

Our defense, usually one of our most reliable lines was really out of sorts yesterday, dropping O'Shea was a mistake as was the option to have Gus as sub. I was one that wanted Moore back in the side but he really hasn't shown much and needs to make way for Young (if ready) or Logan this week.

9 Goals in a row, top 4 sides don't let that happen so we definitely got what we deserved there.

On a positive note Wingard, although only for a quarter, was looking in superb form, Hartlett has been in a purple patch of late and Gray should have at least another 2 votes after this, really surprised they didn't at least try to put Crowley on him.

There's no doubt our best can match it with the top 4, we've shown that already, just a couple of pieces missing to the puzzle and a bit of experience needed to handle the pressure situations before we're a consistent top 4 premiership threat. We're really not that far off a premiership or 2 over the next few years.

Moore started terribly but I thought he improved as the game wore on. I honestly don't think playing O'Shea instead of Impey or Moore would have made a difference to the result. Freo's experience and hardness came through and we as a team just have to get better at confronting that.

From two goals up and with momentum to squander 9 unanswered goals is not top four.

Yes we fought back late when freo had clocked off - lucky we did a a few goals because the shoreline flattered us in the end.

We gave two and a bit quarters. A bit of defensive experience would have been handy yesterday - not a goldsack fan but a little disappointed that we haven't chased him after yesterday. Hopefully we have eyes on someone else.

I would hate for us to go into trade week with a 'we will get there with the list we got' - cause our performance in the 2009/2010 first round of the draft suggests our depth of elite talent may be quite thin.

From two goals up and with momentum to squander 9 unanswered goals is not top four.

Yes we fought back late when freo had clocked off - lucky we did a a few goals because the shoreline flattered us in the end.

We gave two and a bit quarters. A bit of defensive experience would have been handy yesterday - not a goldsack fan but a little disappointed that we haven't chased him after yesterday. Hopefully we have eyes on someone else.

I would hate for us to go into trade week with a 'we will get there with the list we got' - cause our performance in the 2009/2010 first round of the draft suggests our depth of elite talent may be quite thin.

Well, 2 weeks ago, Hawthorn were up by 2 goals before Freo went on to kick 8 goals to 1 in the 3rd qtr. That's not top 2. Teams have won premierships and still lost games in Perth.

The scoreline flattered us in the end? We dominated the match for 80% of the game. It was far from a flattering scoreline. If we had kicked a little straighter we would've won the game!

Missed O'Shea yesterday in defence, he seems to have a knack for freeing up a lot of the other half back flankers like Pittard and Broadbent.

Our depth of "elite" talent if far from thin. Boak, Wines, Wingard, Hartlett, Robbie Gray, Westhoff, Schulz (a 60 goal season is elite), Ebert, Lobbe and Trengove. And there's plenty of scope with many of the other players like Polec, Pittard, Impey, O'Shea, Jonas, Hombsch etc.

Some people need to put our squad into perspective. Our window has only just opened, and it's going to stay open for the next 5-6 years AT LEAST. Look at it this way: in 3 years time, Ollie Wines will be 22, Wingard 24, Polec 24, Pittard 26, Hartlett 27, Trengove 26 etc...the roles these guys are having at such young ages is just remarkable. In a few years time, people harp on about Gold Coast and GWS, but everyone seems to forget that Port's young talent is as good as any in the league.

We moved to a 12 point lead early in the 3rd quarter after kicking the first 2 goals. At that point Port looked a real chance to win the game. And then came the nine goal run. It's the first time we've given up so many consecutive goals under Ken's watch, so it was out-of-charcater. We had good chances to break the nine goal run but didn't take them. A strong finish and if Hoff had kicked the goal after the siren it would have been six straight. It's been a while since an away team's kicked that many in a row in a Freo home game.

Freo average 69 points against per game this year. That's blown out a little by games against Hawthorn (137 points) and St Kilda (118).

In two games against them this year we've scored 94 and 97 points. I remember games against Ross Lyon coached teams where we've been lucky to kick 5 goals. We've shown our huge improvement under Ken simply in these games.

We lost our shape for 30 minutes, made some bad decisions, had some bad luck and Freo played some irresistible football (and couldn't freaking miss!!!). If there is a next time we will be better prepared and who knows?

For what it's worth the weather down at the ground was the weirdest in Perth history. Started of pissing down with rain in the morning, then changed to hot, sticky humidity - very unlike Perth weather. Think your guys were unbelievably quick and smashed the clearances but were cooked by 3 quarter time with the weather (or so we thought) - then you pummeled back 5 goals and nearly stole it from us. You'll dismantle Richmond next week and hope we win next weekend so we don't have to face your lot again the following week.

For what it's worth the weather down at the ground was the weirdest in Perth history. Started of pissing down with rain in the morning, then changed to hot, sticky humidity - very unlike Perth weather. Think your guys were unbelievably quick and smashed the clearances but were cooked by 3 quarter time with the weather (or so we thought) - then you pummeled back 5 goals and nearly stole it from us. You'll dismantle Richmond next week and hope we win next weekend so we don't have to face your lot again the following week.
You guys are very impressive and I hope you win too. Good luck.

We knew it would be hard over in WA , we were lucky to stage a comeback after their nine goal jump. If we had won really it would have been criminal . Enjoyed the game , we need some proper drive into the forward line from the midfield , if that happened we would have won.
Poor Lobbe rucking up against 3 , Fro's ruck man was a tall bugger , how tall ? 8 foot ?

Now to regroup against Richmond at home , make some noise , roar the Oval down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back