Review R23: Port v Fremantle Review

Remove this Banner Ad

One good point out of this loss, at least we don't'have to play at ANZ Stadium. That surface looked shocking! If Freo beat Sydney and we win this weekend unfortunately we have to play there anyway :(

For what it's worth the weather down at the ground was the weirdest in Perth history. Started of pissing down with rain in the morning, then changed to hot, sticky humidity - very unlike Perth weather. Think your guys were unbelievably quick and smashed the clearances but were cooked by 3 quarter time with the weather (or so we thought) - then you pummeled back 5 goals and nearly stole it from us. You'll dismantle Richmond next week and hope we win next weekend so we don't have to face your lot again the following week.

I think it was quite the opposite, by 3 quarter time you had made 27 more interchanges than us, we knew we were going to run over the top of you but unfortunately left it way way too late and didn't take basically any of our chances in the first 3 quarters when we should've.

Moore started terribly but I thought he improved as the game wore on. I honestly don't think playing O'Shea instead of Impey or Moore would have made a difference to the result. Freo's experience and hardness came through and we as a team just have to get better at confronting that.
I didn't think Moore was that bad.He seems to be some sort of whipping boy on here.
We were outclassed by a better side at the end of the day.
You just can't blame a couple of individuals for a 9 goal rort.You have to blame everyone as it appeared every man was beaten by his opponent in that 3rd quarter. Sure we came back at the end but the game was basically all over.I think the final score flattered us.

Good teams, which Freo are, will always have periods where they are on top. During those times you have to stem the flow a bit, make them take hard shots, and take advantage of the opportunities the other way to stay on top.
9.1 to 0.6 is the problem (although they did kick hard shots, they had plenty of easy ones too). If it was 9.1 to 3.3 we'd still be saying we had a massive flat spot but would have been a very close game.

Moore's last quarter was really good, his ability to work into space was one of the key reasons we were able to kick all of those late goals. But he didn't do enough over the full game, which is pretty usual for him. We don't lack options - Mitchell, O'Shea, Young, Logan are all adequate AFL players. A guy like Moore really only has so many chances.

I didn't think Moore was that bad.He seems to be some sort of whipping boy on here.
You just can't blame a couple of individuals for a 9 goal rort.You have to blame everyone as it appeared every man was beaten by his opponent in that 3rd quarter. Sure we came back at the end but the game was basically all over.I think the final score flattered us.
Agree. :thumbsu:

Positives:
We still seem to be trending up since the Sydney match. This is not the Port Adelaide side of rounds 14-19. We played some dominant football for long periods of the game. Let's keep trending up!
Wingard is getting his groove back. If he can play the way he played in the second quarter over a longer period of the game, it'll go a long way to getting us over the line.
Hammer is learning consistency.

Negatives:
I don't think we've used the sub as well as we could have this season. Monfries as sub... No thanks.
Pressure shots being missed.
Not having an answer to freo's run on - did we chuck Westhoff in defence as loose man?
Getting beaten at our own game - how many sling shot goals did they kick?

We need to keep the build of form going. Hoping we're ready for some payback on Sunday!

I'm a bit surprised to read comments about how it would have been criminal for us to win and we were outclassed. We more than matched Freo in every key statistic across the game, we led by 2 goals early in the third quarter then gave up that run of goals in 30 minutes. But we responded with a run of goals in the remaining 20 minutes, another 5 minutes and what might have been?

Freo deserved to win, but there would have been nothing criminal if we had pulled off that comeback and we certainly weren't outclassed.

The upside is we saw these sort of comments when we were 'undeserving' winners against Gold Coast because we 'only' won by 9 points in a monsoon, despite smashing almost every key statistic. The next week at home turned out pretty well for us.

Let's hope we can deliver the same sort of reception to Richmond. ;)

The first rounders that aren't putting up the same output of a few taken after them in the draft always cop it, that's why Jasper, Butcher & Moore tend to cop it the hardest because we see guys like Fyfe, Carlisle & Talia starring for the opposition & wonder why our guys aren't doing the same yet.

What people don't realise is it could always be worse, what if we picked up Gysberts, Lucas or Howard instead that year who are so much worse than 2/3 of the AFL standard lads we picked up? We should give them time because not all players drafted peak straight away.

I can get frustrated with their mistakes but Pittard & Moore will make it at AFL level, it may take a little longer as they've both battled injury affected seasons early in their careers. I'm less convinced on Butcher coming good at our club or at all but if we look at the 09 draft as a whole we could've done much worse.

Last edited:

yeah he was alright, we have seen all year who the whipping boys are after every loss, players 20-22 on the ground, the mitchells, grays, moores, stewarts, all those that just come in and play a role. none of the favourite 'stars' are to blame, i mean lets all get precious if someone mentions a so called star has let the side down for a few weeks.....geez dont mention 'insert favourite player here' gets dropped after barely touching it for a few months, suddenly its all, oh he gets paid this, oh he is in the leadership group, oh it might shatter his precious confidence. we didnt make the tough decisions 2 months ago and we are paying for it now. but yeah all our issues are mitchells, grays, moores, stewarts fault.

yeah he was alright, we have seen all year who the whipping boys are after every loss, players 20-22 on the ground, the mitchells, grays, moores, stewarts, all those that just come in and play a role. none of the favourite 'stars' are to blame, i mean lets all get precious if someone mentions a so called star has let the side down for a few weeks.....geez dont mention 'insert favourite player here' gets dropped after barely touching it for a few months, suddenly its all, oh he gets paid this, oh he is in the leadership group, oh it might shatter his precious confidence. we didnt make the tough decisions 2 months ago and we are paying for it now. but yeah all our issues are mitchells, grays, moores, stewarts fault.
Watch Pittard in all of Freo's contested goals and make your own conclusion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch Pittard in all of Freo's contested goals and make your own conclusion
Just like In most losses Pittard gets blamed when other players opponents score just because he has been good enough to leave his man and be the closest one to the action.
Defensively he is one of our better players.

EDIT: I can picture the posts we would be seeing if Pittard had done the Trevor Chappellesque pass that obviously completely stuffed up a potential goal instead of Westhoff.

Last edited:
Blame Jasper for yesterday, forget his last 8 weeks of great form, it's all his fault apparently same as all 8 losses this year and hell I'm sure he caused the Ebola outbreak and runs ISIS the way people carry on on here about him,he's in our best 22 and deserves to be, the long term gain fron the lad will be huge some short term pain is going to happen with a youngster

Was at the game, and think if we took our opportunities it would have been a different story. Few key points:

Gray waltzes into an open goal and misses
Westhoff runs into the 50 and instead of shooting/passing, thinks he has enough time to bounce and gets tackled - holding the ball turnover
Monfries gets the ball in the 50 and enough time to shoot, but passes off to Moore? who also had enough time to shoot, but again passed off to Schulz who was about to shoot but ended up getting bumped by Ibbotson. Too much passing around mucking around when Monfries should have just drilled it himself.

Was worried every time Pittard went near the ball.

We got caught on the counter a few times - one was after we scored a behind, and ended up with a Fremantle player running into an open goal with nobody in the 50 for us. I can understand this off a turnover, but not from a behind - we had enough time to set up our structures.

Wingard was plucking marks well - but faded away. Gray was amazing but his kicking needs to be worked on.

The Westhoff getting caught moment was just bizarre. He looked like he was going to handball to a teammate, decided he wasn't ready for it so he would just walk into an open goal like going through the checkout at Woolies Parabanks. Then the store detectives jumped him.

Blame Jasper for yesterday, forget his last 8 weeks of great form, it's all his fault apparently same as all 8 losses this year and hell I'm sure he caused the Ebola outbreak and runs ISIS the way people carry on on here about him,he's in our best 22 and deserves to be, the long term gain fron the lad will be huge some short term pain is going to happen with a youngster

Missing the forest for the hyperbole. Ebola. ISIS. 8 weeks of great form. He hasn't been great, he just wasn't as bad as most others while we fiddled with ourselves for two months. Another proper tough game comes around and he's still shitting the bed.

Agree too. Sometimes sub. Sometimes subbed off. I thought he improved as the game went on yesterday. Out of most anyone I think he would benefit from a long run in the side. Hope he has a big preseason next year.

Pittard has never been in any sort of form sorry. He had 4 kicks against Collingwood in r19 and was demoted to sub the week after.

But thats not the problem, the problem is we are not seeing any major improvement from him after gifting him 50 games.

He still kicks to 2v1 and 3v1 contests, still lets his opponents get goal side when the ball is on the ground, he reliably forgets how to move his legs/bounce/kick/handball when there is pressure on him.

The Westhoff getting caught moment was just bizarre. He looked like he was going to handball to a teammate, decided he wasn't ready for it so he would just walk into an open goal like going through the checkout at Woolies Parabanks. Then the store detectives jumped him.

I actually totally lost my s**t when he did this. Lost it! Yelled so loudly that it would have been heard 2 blocks away. My 5 year old got such a shock he started crying. just so frustrating and worse than anything jasper and Moore did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back