Autopsy R4 Fremantle v Essendon - Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Why didn't you guys play Thurlow? I would have thought with Paddy out he was a logical replacement.
dont take notice of the VFL enough but maybe bomber considers him not ready (even though any recognised ruckmen would have been better against sadi and clarke), as good as he is hopefully going to be watching sandi destroy joe derp in the ruck just had me shaking my head.

also not to sure on how the rookie promotion system works but I dont think we have anybody on the long term injury list to be able to upgrade a rookie. Ryder will be back next week and TBC is 2-3 away I think

Positives:
The form of Hilly and DPearce.
The 3rd quarter goal blitz.
Sandilands putting in a big shift in hot conditions, while Lethal's favourite ruckman played like a spud down at Geelong on his big day.
Having ZacD back in defence allowed McPharlin, Duffman and Johnson to do what they do best.
A good spread of goal kickers, yet again, not just leaving it to a few.

Negatives:
Can't find many really, Mundy getting sniped by friendly fire is about it.
Little Josh didn't get the goal his performance deserved.

A couple of times we had Hill, PearceD and Simpson starting outside the centre square on the wings.

Saw Sutcliffe (?) holding Hill's opponent at arm's length allowing Hill to get space and run into space.

Sent from my pants using Trousertalk V1.06

Hope it doesn't get looked at. We are freo
It better not get looked at as it was just a high tackle that occurs 20 times a game. It was a free kick but it was only high since Sandi is a giant. He was trying to get low and had a lot of speed up but just couldn't get down. Coyler also turned to protect his vital organs, so it was in his back too.

Lucky McPharlin took out Mundy as he would probably be get a week off or two if it was an Essendon player out of the game with concussion. Can't wait till they change the rule next year and all contact with any player's head gets looked at. It's a slippery slope and we've started going down the slide already.

I was trying to work this out the other day. does he seem to be getting the hard tag he's got in the past?

Not so far, however he hasn't come up against teams known for running a hard tag on him (or hard tags in general).

Geelong and Sydney have done this before. As have West Coast. But in my opinion he is reaching the point where he is now untaggable.

Hocking was following Hill for the remainder of the game after Mundy went off. Hill didn't get as much of the footy with Hocking on his tail but interestingly, that was when he kicked his two goals. Generally seems to have had a longer leash this year.

Western Bulldogs tagged him pretty hard in the NAB cup (if that's worth mentioning).

EDIT - just rewatched the third quarter and Hocking isn't tagging Hill.

2nd Edit - Hocking only following Hill sporadically in the final quarter.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another positives: D. Pearce seems to know better about his own abilities. Think he tried to weave freakish magic a bit too often last year, mostly in front of goals. Doing it only when highly likely to be successful this year which makes him a better player.
4 more goals and will equal the total he kicked in all of 25 games last year..

This is a positive.
u24usC5.gif

Just finished watching the game again. I love Clarke up forward. They should have played him closer to goal. He has great strong hands, and needs to kick some like the one he kicked in that last quarter.

Tabs actually did better than I thought. He almost took about 5 more contested marks and had his arm illegally chopped on 4 of those occasions. All were 20metres out. Much different discussion if he had got those frees he deserved.

And Simpson looks Silky. Hope we keep playing him because he can only get better!!! Bring on the swans

Congrats on the win, proved the doubters wrong after the hawks game...
A perfect example to show people who dont believe in the importance of ruckmen in todays game.
Pressure unbelievable.
I think the outs from both teams cancelled each other out in the end (prob only us having no ruckmen really hurt us)
hopefully we see you in september... hopefully at etihad!!

That would be acceptable to us unless there is another ground that Demetriou thinks you may have a better chance at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back