Autopsy R4 Fremantle v Essendon - Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Hocking was following Hill for the remainder of the game after Mundy went off. Hill didn't get as much of the footy with Hocking on his tail but interestingly, that was when he kicked his two goals. Generally seems to have had a longer leash this year.
That's the most important thing. Taggers will s**t themselves if they feel he is dangerous around goals.

That's the most important thing. Taggers will s**t themselves if they feel he is dangerous around goals.

Very promising how he was able to find space to shark the Sandi tap for his first, need to see another replay but I suspect there was some quality blocking involved for that one.

The second one where he broke about 3 tackles from simply taking the game on speaks for itself, I know that's something you'll always looking to see more of from Hilly.

Negative

Guess what? Our 9 goal win was due solely to Mark Thompson not trying to win the game.
Thompson revealed he had stopped worrying about the result and how his players would recover ahead of their Round 5 clash with St Kilda on Saturday.

“I was thinking during the game, not how do we win this game, but how do we recover and win the next game,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ca...n-under-the-pump/story-fnelctok-1226884406126

The penchant for whingeing and general refusal to take responsibility of coaches from the Sheedy school of coaching is a tiny bit nauseating. Isn't that what primary school children say when they lose? "I wasn't trying anyway".

Negative

Guess what? Our 9 goal win was due solely to Mark Thompson not trying to win the game.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ca...n-under-the-pump/story-fnelctok-1226884406126

The penchant for whingeing and general refusal to take responsibility of coaches from the Sheedy school of coaching is a tiny bit nauseating. Isn't that what primary school children say when they lose? "I wasn't trying anyway".

I'm glad that we have a coach who would never throw in the towel or make excuses.

Negative

Lol. The main board gameday thread is filled with a crazy amount of excuses from Essendon fans. Must be following their coach. Such a pack of sore losers.

Whoever wrote the AFL match report also seems to be an Essendon fan.

Negative

That is appallingly ungracious.

I remember back to Ryan Crowley's debut at Kardinya and we played Sandilands deep forward and he was marking everything.
Post game and all Thompson could offer in defence of their defeat by Fremantle was " If putting a seven foot player in the goal square is what you call good football then that's up to you ; if you think that's what good football is good luck to you " I have paraphrased it but it was that in essence.

I cannot even imagine Ross Lyon or any other coach coming out with stuff like that.

w
This is a positive.
u24usC5.gif
was about to post the same gif :(

Negative

The original excuse that they were playing their B-team was mitigated by the fact we were also playing our B-team, so it's only natural he had to turn to the excessive heat that we were conditioned to/the fact that Venus was aligned with Saturn which obviously angered the God of fertility.

They never had a chance.

We lost, of course he is going to be analysing why. You guys played well but didn't play exceptionally by your high standards, so you'd look at what went wrong from our perspective. It was obvious with no rucks we couldn't change the momentum of the game, either by limiting Sandilands and by extension playing another key forward to limit Johnson/McPharlin. Take it as a compliment, he didn't denigrate Freo in anyway, he just knew we were up against it.

We lost, of course he is going to be analysing why.

Great analysis from the mastercoach:thumbsu: -
  • I wasn't trying to win because I had the match against St Kilda to worry about.
  • Our coaches had a cold.
  • It was hot
  • We had injuries.
  • We had a short forward line.

Last edited:
Great analysis from the mastercoach:thumbsu: -
  • I knew this was going to happen before it happened.
  • I wasn't trying to win because I had the match against St Kilda to worry about.
  • Our coaches had a cold.
  • We had injuries.
  • We had a short forward line.

He isn't going to go into amazing detail on AFL 360, is he? Without all the selective paraphrasing, he said during the match he thought we weren't a chance so he switched focus to St.Kilda and started to manage players. Nothing wrong with that at all. Didn't discredit Fremantle, so I don't understand the negativity about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isn't going to go into amazing detail on AFL 360, is he?.

No. What's amazing is the nature of the detail he did go into.

Mark Thompson is a notorious sook and a whinger from way back. When things don't go his way he sulks. Then he gets his mates (Whately (Geelong), Robbo (Essendon) et al) to back him up and push his line in the media.

I'll never forget the way he whinged and moaned after Geelong lost the 2010 Qualifying Final to St Kilda. He spent the entire post-match presser whipping up a frency of fury about a free kick that was paid to St Kilda, on which he blamed the loss by Geelong. When Ross Lyon was interviewed the next morning on SEN, he was asked about that free because Thompson had kicked up such a stink about it. Lyon's response was: (1) that the free was clearly there, but they weren't always paid; (2) that everyone (following Thompson's lead) was talking about that free instead of St Kilda's victory; and (3) that Lyon could have whinged about the umpires awarding Geelong a goal they never kicked in the 2009 Grand Final, but chose not to and never did, not once.

Just imagine the furore if the tables were turned and St Kilda had won that premiership after a momentum-changing wrong call by the umpire gifting St Kilda a goal. Thompson would still be whingeing about it to this day.

Last edited:
I also remember the way he whinged about Freo giving Ablett a hard time in a game down at Kardinia Park, when his team full of thugs like Mooney, Scarlett, Milburn etc. were sniping guys like an 18 year old Palmer. We lost a bit of focus on the ball and the tactics proved futile, but Geelong dished out worse than our players, yet we were painted as the bad guys.

Anyway, I honestly don't mind Bomber. He has a few brownie points from his sandwich eating episode while Geelong were destroying the Eagles.

Not sure there is anything too wrong with what he said. I'd say he was worrying about the Freo game, but once we got too far in front in the 3rd quarter, he then accepted (like anyone with a brain would have) that it was over and turned his attention to next week. Not sure what the problem is with that? Lyon probably did a similar thing by getting the troops to ease up in the final quarter.

Very promising how he was able to find space to shark the Sandi tap for his first, need to see another replay but I suspect there was some quality blocking involved for that one.

The second one where he broke about 3 tackles from simply taking the game on speaks for itself, I know that's something you'll always looking to see more of from Hilly.

Danyle Pearce :thumbsu:

He isn't going to go into amazing detail on AFL 360, is he? Without all the selective paraphrasing, he said during the match he thought we weren't a chance so he switched focus to St.Kilda and started to manage players. Nothing wrong with that at all. Didn't discredit Fremantle, so I don't understand the negativity about it.

You don't think it is odd that other coaches don't come out with stuff like that whenever there is a score blowout ?
There were several emphatic results in RD4 and yet your hero trots out that shizen. The other clubs did not.
It was pathetic but he has a history.

No. What's amazing is the nature of the detail he did go into.

Mark Thompson is a notorious sook and a whinger from way back. When things don't go his way he sulks. Then he gets his mates (Whately (Geelong), Robbo (Essendon) et al) to back him up and push his line in the media.

I'll never forget the way he whinged and moaned after Geelong lost the 2010 Qualifying Final to St Kilda. He spent the entire post-match presser whipping up a frency of fury about a free kick that was paid to St Kilda, on which he blamed the loss by Geelong. When Ross Lyon was interviewed the next morning on SEN, he was asked about that free because Thompson had kicked up such a stink about it. Lyon's response was: (1) that the free was clearly there, but they weren't always paid; (2) that everyone (following Thompson's lead) was talking about that free instead of St Kilda's victory; and (3) that Lyon could have whinged about the umpires awarding Geelong a goal they never kicked in the 2009 Grand Final, but chose not to and never did, not once.

Just imagine the furore if the tables were turned and St Kilda had won that premiership after a momentum-changing wrong call by the umpire gifting St Kilda a goal. Thompson would still be whingeing about it to this day.
It seems like you're holding over a lot of animosity from when you were a St Kilda fan.

You don't think it is odd that other coaches don't come out with stuff like that whenever there is a score blowout ?
There were several emphatic results in RD4 and yet your hero trots out that shizen. The other clubs did not.
It was pathetic but he has a history.
bombers just a very candid upfront person.
Who wouldnt look to next week when the game is beyong reach. He has a year to coach, so when normal coaches start tinkering with tactics, lineups and youth etc toward the end of the season when finals chances are gone, bomber is doing this at the end of games when they are beyond reach.

Who wouldnt look to next week when the game is beyong reach. He has a year to coach, so when normal coaches start tinkering with tactics, lineups and youth etc toward the end of the season when finals chances are gone, bomber is doing this at the end of games when they are beyond reach.
plus you guys took the same mantra as well, game was won so conserve for next week. we wouldnt have kicked all those last qtr goals if you had continued to go for the throat

Fair enough; many coaches do go into damage control and turn their attention to player management when a game is gone.
They just don't go proclaiming it and use it to mitigate their performance.
It was the height of arrogance.
He has done it before and it masks a character flaw. He is a dick.

plus you guys took the same mantra as well, game was won so conserve for next week. we wouldnt have kicked all those last qtr goals if you had continued to go for the throat

Can't you see the irony ?
What if Ross Lyon came out with " Oh , in the final quarter we eased right off to conserve the players for next week. We could have totally smashed them by 20 goals if we wanted to."

Humility in victory and gracious in defeat. Bomber knows little of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back