Autopsy R4 Fremantle v Essendon - Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't you see the irony ?
What if Ross Lyon came out with " Oh , in the final quarter we eased right off to conserve the players for next week. We could have totally smashed them by 20 goals if we wanted to."

Humility in victory and gracious in defeat. Bomber knows little of it.
Most wont admit it for fear of being accused of tanking, fans expect 4 qtr performances, If said fans team is winning we want to put the boot in, if were losing we want to show some sort of fight to take into next week. to pay $30 odd dollars to watch 2 1/2 qtrs of effort would get some fans irate
Some of these coaches today are so cryptic, dont give anything away
You call it arrogance, I call it honesty

What if Ross Lyon takes the foot off every time freo are thumping a team, admits as much then in crunch games they seem to go missing in the last qtr and lose.
Im sure there would be talk of letting bad habits creep into the gameplan

Most wont admit it for fear of being accused of tanking, fans expect 4 qtr performances, If said fans team is winning we want to put the boot in, if were losing we want to show some sort of fight to take into next week. to pay $30 odd dollars to watch 2 1/2 qtrs of effort would get some fans irate
Some of these coaches today are so cryptic, dont give anything away
You call it arrogance, I call it honesty

What if Ross Lyon takes the foot off every time freo are thumping a team, admits as much then in crunch games they seem to go missing in the last qtr and lose.
Im sure there would be talk of letting bad habits creep into the gameplan

Mate , that is the whole point.
Other coaches do not do what Thompson did because it is a sleight on the opposition and the league heavyweights would introduce a new law about coaches' conduct.
Of course coaches manage players when results are obvious, however they don't announce it during interviews to soften the criticism of a poor performance.
Occasionally you might hear a coach say I took star player off to conserve him ( in the context their team is winning comfortably ) you do not hear something similar from a coach whose team has been flogged. It is called etiquette.

We lost, of course he is going to be analysing why. You guys played well but didn't play exceptionally by your high standards

We did kick exceptionally well by our standards though. People sometimes underestimate the importance of straight kicking. Not only does result in a higher score (obviously) but it denies the opposition the easy ball from a behind. That was a big part of why Hawthorn smashed us so hard last week. Hard to get any scores from kickouts if your opponent doesn't miss.

We did kick exceptionally well by our standards though. People sometimes underestimate the importance of straight kicking. Not only does result in a higher score (obviously) but it denies the opposition the easy ball from a behind. That was a big part of why Hawthorn smashed us so hard last week. Hard to get any scores from kickouts if your opponent doesn't miss.

good point.
A behind is ostensibly a turnover.

So many positives out of this game as already mentioned. Stephen Hill has really come on this year, Danyle Pearce showing some of the form that made him a star at PA, liked Lachy Neales game, Zac Clarke's immediate impact first game back, same for Clancee, Pav and Sandi awesome. Pavs goal kicking as good as I've seen. The new kid on the block, tackling, enthusiasm, slick handball and sublime kick to Taberner's advantage. Downside of the weekend, Sylvia's report.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Mate , that is the whole point.
Other coaches do not do what Thompson did because it is a sleight on the opposition and the league heavyweights would introduce a new law about coaches' conduct.
Of course coaches manage players when results are obvious, however they don't announce it during interviews to soften the criticism of a poor performance.
Occasionally you might hear a coach say I took star player off to conserve him ( in the context their team is winning comfortably ) you do not hear something similar from a coach whose team has been flogged. It is called etiquette.
again, disagree.
You made mention of Ross not coming out and saying we should have beaten them by 20 goals if we played 4 qtrs, that is obviously gloating.
The comparison to that would be if bomber came out and said "well we kicked a handfull of goals in the last and we were only conserving players, had we tried we prob would have clawed back and won"
Thats 2 examples of gloating/arrogance
Bomber said he conserved players when he knew the result was gone. for mine the equivalent of that would be ross saying things like
- with a 6 day break we tried to rotate players as much as possible.
- when the game was beyond doubt I tried some youngsters out of position
- with our list of players to come back in I wanted to find out who my good depth players were
- 35 degree heat takes its toll an anyone, I tried to mitigate the risk as best I can

All those are things he could have said without being arrogant and saying "we should have smashed them (more) if we tried"

No, not at all. She just really loves Fyfe (who doesn't?) and Zac. She reckons as soon as he came back in, we'd win - which is, of course, what happened. So then she starts, 'what a man'... So I asked the big Rove question - would you turn for him? She gave the nudge nudge wink wink thing in reply (later qualifying it as a definite no!)...

And I thought bloody hell - if that's as good as it gets for making you want to 'jump the fence' then it's no wonder you're gay...

Anyway, just a little OT. :oops:

LOL :D

One could say that your obsession over the years with our Captain, and certain parts of his anatomy ;) ), made you an unlikely candidate for being a left-footer too!

Pav's a champ, but with a shnoz like that he aint no dreamboat.

No homo :rainbow::p

Danyle attempted the block but effectively ran straight past Hocking and barely touched him. Hill was just too fast. And Hocking was too hot and apparently already preparing for the St Kilda game. ;)

Ok it might not have been a tradition 'block', but he at least slowed him down... :)

LOL :D

One could say that your obsession over the years with our Captain, and certain parts of his anatomy ;) ), made you an unlikely candidate for being a left-footer too!

Pav's a champ, but with a shnoz like that he aint no dreamboat.

No homo :rainbow::p

I beg to differ. There's more to a man than the size of his... schnoz. :p

And I have never been happier than since I started 'kicking left footed', don't you worry about that. :thumbsu:

With the exception of Pav tearing arse, your accurate goal kicking came from high quality break aways from contests allowing unpressured shots on goal. Despite all the excuses, the fact was we lost this game at the ruck contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the exception of Pav tearing arse, your accurate goal kicking came from high quality break aways from contests allowing unpressured shots on goal. Despite all the excuses, the fact was we lost this game at the ruck contest.
That and lack of tall forwards which allowed McPharlin and Johnson to pick off any half decent forward entries you had. For Freo to have only truly dominated a single quarter shows Essendon put up a reasonable fight.

I think structurally Essendon were missing more important players whereas Fremantle were missing more talented ones.

That and lack of tall forwards which allowed McPharlin and Johnson to pick off any half decent forward entries you had. For Freo to have only truly dominated a single quarter shows Essendon put up a reasonable fight.

I think structurally Essendon were missing more important players whereas Fremantle were missing more talented ones.

Agreed, Fyfe was clearly the best player missing out, but the way the game unfolded I think Ryder was the most noteable out, would have provided much more of a contest giving us a better chance in the midfield and also allowed Carlisle forward so you couldn't double team with McPharlin and Johnson. Congrats on the good win, hopefully we meet again this year with stronger teams.

Agreed, Fyfe was clearly the best player missing out, but the way the game unfolded I think Ryder was the most noteable out, would have provided much more of a contest giving us a better chance in the midfield and also allowed Carlisle forward so you couldn't double team with McPharlin and Johnson. Congrats on the good win, hopefully we meet again this year with stronger teams.

You're opinion on Carlisle as a forward?

I really rate him, but see him as much more of a natural backman. Is it robbing Peter to pay Paul, to have him there because Hurley can't cut it up forward?

I really rate him, but see him as much more of a natural backman. Is it robbing Peter to pay Paul, to have him there because Hurley can't cut it up forward?

Yep. He needs someone to lead him to the ball.

Personally I thought Hurley was good up forward, rarely dominated but averaged about 2 goals a game plus he always made a contest. Unfortunately his body consistently let him down, there is no point having a key forward who is missing every third game. I'd like to see them all up forward to be honest. Hurley, Daniher and Carlisle and try to get Pears back into that early career form or bring this kid Gregory who is a Fletcher prototype.

Personally I thought Hurley was good up forward, rarely dominated but averaged about 2 goals a game plus he always made a contest. Unfortunately his body consistently let him down, there is no point having a key forward who is missing every third game. I'd like to see them all up forward to be honest. Hurley, Daniher and Carlisle and try to get Pears back into that early career form or bring this kid Gregory who is a Fletcher prototype.
The skinny kid who looks about 15 can play a bit, Gleeson is it?
And I reckon its crazy to play Carlisle anywhere except full-back. He's very very good at it.

Gregory may be a bit late to be a prototype. Perhaps a clone.

I do not care what Bomber or any other coach says really. But you guys have caused us some recent problems and that has been well and truly put to bed, ins and outs notwithstanding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back