Preview R5: Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

No he doesn't, he had an off game disposal wise but he still had some clearances and tackles.
Nah, he's out of it. Did * all apart from the odd dinky handball. Was a liability at the fall of the ball nearly every time. Conditions didn't suit but he just didn't play the 1%ers IMO. McCartney tried to talk his confidence up and he improved a little but he isn't doing enough.

Roos will back him in though.

Nev won't play next week. Roos just confirmed it. Kent out too obviously. Other out could be Michie, copped a bad knock in the ribs.
In: grimes for nev, toump for kent

Nah, he's out of it. Did **** all apart from the odd dinky handball. Was a liability at the fall of the ball nearly every time. Conditions didn't suit but he just didn't play the 1%ers IMO. McCartney tried to talk his confidence up and he improved a little but he isn't doing enough.

Roos will back him in though.
I'm convinced that people don't actually look at him.

Had a rough game disposing the footy by foot but he tackled, got clearances and was clean below the knees at ground level towards the end of the game.

Not his best game but nowhere near as bad as you try to make out.

Grimes Dunn Garland
Howe McDonald Salem
Cross Jones Lumumba
Newton Hogan JKH
Garlett Dawes Watts
Jamar Tyson Vince
Vandenberg Toumpas Michie Brayshaw

I'm convinced that people don't actually look at him.

Had a rough game disposing the footy by foot but he tackled, got clearances and was clean below the knees at ground level towards the end of the game.

Not his best game but nowhere near as bad as you try to make out.
I'm convinced perennial Watts backers put anyone who cans his game in the Watts basher basket.

I pay his dues when they are there but he has been ordinary even by his standards. In four quarters of footy he did a handful of regulation plays amongst a litany of nothing. His marking contests were woeful, not because he didn't clunk them but because he rarely brought it down to advantage. He's out of sorts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 games in the rain probably doesn't suit a running KPF like Watts just quietly.
Well footy is a winter sport so Jack better learn how to play smarter in the wet. Doesn't need to be BOG but he needs to learn how to make an impact.

I'm convinced perennial Watts backers put anyone who cans his game in the Watts basher basket.

I pay his dues when they are there but he has been ordinary even by his standards. In four quarters of footy he did a handful of regulation plays amongst a litany of nothing. His marking contests were woeful, not because he didn't clunk them but because he rarely brought it down to advantage. He's out of sorts.

His marking contests were silly I agree but because he kept trying to take them out in front instead of using the chest.

He tackled better than he has been, he's getting clearances which are very much needed by us.

He can (and will) be better than tonight but it would be idiotic to drop him.

His marking contests were silly I agree but because he kept trying to take them out in front instead of using the chest.

He tackled better than he has been, he's getting clearances which are very much needed by us.

He can (and will) be better than tonight but it would be idiotic to drop him.
Roos is Watts conscious atm I reckon and he won't drop him so as not to kill his confidence. Having said that Watts needs to significantly improve otherwise it gets to the point that the other 21 players on game day are being let down, it's about the team not one player and at some point Roos will have to draw a line.

Carey saying the same thing now.

You say this like perennial Watts bashers don't do the same thing. Roosy isn't going to drop him, and I'll trust his judgment.

Too many concussions, you'll be ruled out from watching next week.
Played a bit of footy and boxed for a bit but only every concussed myself abseiling and running into a metal pole in primary school. :drunk:

What difference will Pedersen make? Or Gawn, or Fitzy? Or even Frost when he's not injured. At their best, they aren't much better than an average Watts. A good Watts is better than all of them. He has never played in a side as a bottom six member and with no pressure. I'm not saying he was good tonight, but don't drop a guy like this after a win: It's a backwards attitude.

What difference will Pedersen make? Or Gawn, or Fitzy? Or even Frost when he's not injured. At their best, they aren't much better than an average Watts. A good Watts is better than all of them. He has never played in a side as a bottom six member and with no pressure. I'm not saying he was good tonight, but don't drop a guy like this after a win: It's a backwards attitude.
I understand your point but Watts is really struggling atm and at some point you have to reward players in the seconds who put their hand up or you compromise your system.

Watt's confidence is a balancing act, if he keeps playing like this in the seniors it will plummet so the issue is two fold. Roos has backed him in and I appreciate why because he's an important player but he needs to be treated as any under performing player. The wet wasn't his problem tonight, it was his head.

If Pederson has put his hand up then play him, subject to team balance. Again, Roos won't drop Watts but the pressure is building and I hope he doesn't hit rock bottom. I actually want to see him play well for us.

I understand your point but Watts is really struggling atm and at some point you have to reward players in the seconds who put their hand up or you compromise your system.

Watt's confidence is a balancing act, if he keeps playing like this in the seniors it will plummet so the issue is two fold. Roos has backed him in and I appreciate why because he's an important player but he needs to be treated as any under performing player. The wet wasn't his problem tonight, it was his head.

If Pederson has put his hand up then play him, subject to team balance. Again, Roos won't drop Watts but the pressure is building and I hope he doesn't hit rock bottom. I actually want to see him play well for us.
I understand yours in turn, and my patience is wearing so thin that I have actually regenerated it. He makes so many mistakes because of what happens inside his head, but he's still the kind of player that gets boo'd every week - often by both sides - because he is Jack Watts. This season is about figuring out what we are as a club, and give Watts the right amount of games before making a decision either way at the end of the season.

Same with Toumpas when he has a few good games in a row in the VFL and a spot opens up.

Guys like this, who are victimised for the position they were picked, need to be built up by the coach - even just to give them a foundation to return to when the going gets tough in future.

If we had Lance Franklin returning from injury, then fine - drop Watts.

What we have is Cameron Pedersen, Jack Fitzpatrick and Max Gawn. The latter two can ruck but would crowd the forward line, and the former plays the same floating role as Watts but is hardly better.

I wouldn't mind seeing Pedo in that role because he can take a mark, but his link up play is poor and Richie does it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back