Preview R9: Changes vs Port Adelaide - IN: Jetta, Viney OUT: Newton, Riley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
at least you dont have that pretty girl avatar anymore. That was rather annoying from a sarcastic, cynical prick

Lmao :D

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, but please inform us all

at least you dont have that pretty girl avatar anymore. That was rather annoying from a sarcastic, cynical prick

Hmmm, I'll have to shop around for a new one.

Grimes is a quite good medium defender. Disciplined as *. Just makes bad decisions on account of the huge responsibility on his back. Is already playing better as it eases. Guy had star potential a few years ago.

We'll need defensive HFFs again to stop Port attacking off half-back thru Pittard & Broadbent.

Roos likes the team balance, so they'll replace like-for-like. They won't put Tyson & Viney in for Bail & Jones.

If Jetta comes in on Wingard, Cross could do defensive HFF and Jones goes out. He won't come up on a 6-day break after concussion anyway.

If Tyson comes in, it's Newton who goes out. I think Newton has a lot of upside, but at the moment he's Tyson-lite.

Cross if he's still got the legs for it, Grimes, Garland, Vandenburg, Brayshaw, Riley and Viney all have defensive skills to rotate through defensive half forward. We are always versatile enough to drop Bail and Jones for best 22 guys.

Ports scoring from defensive transition has been woeful this year, probably the main reason for their 3-5 predicament. Having said that, we're just the team to let them get their mojo on so yeah it's critical to pressure them around halfback but centre breaks will be pivotal as well.

Ports scoring from defensive transition has been woeful this year, probably the main reason for their 3-5 predicament. Having said that, we're just the team to let them get their mojo on so yeah it's critical to pressure them around halfback but centre breaks will be pivotal as well.
Exactly (the bolded bit), that's the point. Roos stopped their defensive transition when we played them last year, and because it worked so well we nearly beat them twice, every other club now does the same.

Cross if he's still got the legs for it, Grimes, Garland, Vandenburg, Brayshaw, Riley and Viney all have defensive skills to rotate through defensive half forward. We are always versatile enough to drop Bail and Jones for best 22 guys.

Agree to some extent, except that a lot of these guys who can play defensively are more valuable to the team where they are already, so to take them away for a purely defensive role means we lose their contributions in defence or in midfield. Bail & Jones can play purely defensively & we don't lose any contribution from them elsewhere, although if our "ins" this week are boosting the midfield (Tyson or Viney) or the defence (Jetta) anyway, it's a moot point.

But the selectors will need to think hard about whether to disrupt what Roos said at the presser was the right team balance.

Agree to some extent, except that a lot of these guys who can play defensively are more valuable to the team where they are already, so to take them away for a purely defensive role means we lose their contributions in defence or in midfield. Bail & Jones can play purely defensively & we don't lose any contribution from them elsewhere, although if our "ins" this week are boosting the midfield (Tyson or Viney) or the defence (Jetta) anyway, it's a moot point.

But the selectors will need to think hard about whether to disrupt what Roos said at the presser was the right team balance.
That's why I listed a bunch of guys. You bring back two mids and a small defender and guys are going to be naturally pushed back to the flanks, I'm assuming we get at least two of the three guys back and then it's a no brainer that Jones and Bail go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on the website says Viney, Jetta, Dawes and Tyson are all up for selection this week. Makes selection really difficult.

I'd go with:
In: Tyson, Viney, Jetta
Out: Riley, Bail, Jones (If concussed) otherwise Newton

People are probably WTFing at me dropping Newton over M Jones, but I thought Jones was great on Murphy on Sunday, and Newtons decision making is really frustrating me, he gets in good positions and is a good kick but doesn't take the right option. I won't be disappointed at all if he stays in the side, but I think this is how Roos will do it. One of or both Tyson/Viney will spend time forward (Although the way we play they will basically be midfielders anyway) to make up for us dropping two guys who played there last week.

Sorry Dawesy but we play a lot better without you, Pedersen can actually mark the ball and offers more around the ground.

I would hate to call another Melbourne fan a flog but anyone that has made a derogatory comment about Toumpas in this thread is mightily close to being one. I wrote him off after last week but he took a massive step forward today. Very, very happy for the kid.

Clearly Bail and M.Jones will be replaced by Viney and Jetta. Tyson could come in for Riley, but I'm easy if they want to rest him another week. Riley was awesome in the last quarter today anyway.

Tyson comes straight back in, you don't actively leave out your best midfielder if they're fit. Riley had a huge last quarter but the entire team had lifted by the time he started playing well.

Out: M Jones (6 touches), Lumumba, Riley
In: Tyson, Jetta, Viney
Matt Jones was tagging \

Dawes can't knock Peserson out, surely?

I'd also give Tyson another week - he's been playing hampered all year so far, and I'd rather he takes more time than needed, than come in and replace someone after last weeks game.

Jetta in for Bail or Riley and Viney for Jones I would have thought.

Dawes can't knock Peserson out, surely?

Unfortunately I think we're going to see all the talls get lumped into the side and we'll play a 3 man tall forward line. Dawes will play CHF, Pedersen will roam and because he's wandering all over the shop he won't get to clunk as many in the 50 and in a couple of games he'll probably get dropped again after "struggling" to have an impact. Dawes deserves to play in the VFL.

Very interested to see what Roos does. Dawes shouldn't play, and if he doesn't get picked it's a great sign we're heading in the right direction. If Dawes comes in, I guess we're still picking the team on pay packets or talking a good game or whatever it is Dawes allegedly brings to the table.

If Dom, Viney and Jetta are good to go they have to come in. Dom played two of his best for the club against Port last year.

Out: Bail, MJones, Grimes (very stiff but Jetta>Grimes)

Riley has to stay after that last quarter (even if he is the sub again), played like the maniac he is, loved it.
Yeh Riley needs to be in for tackle and clearance pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back