NRL Rabbitohs 2013 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Email this morning;

Dear Chris,

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are pleased to announce the signing of experienced outside back Joel Reddy for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.

Reddy, 27, has played a total of 117 NRL games for both the Wests Tigers and Parramatta Eels since making his first grade debut in 2005. He has also represented City Origin on two occasions, firstly in 2010 and again this season.

Reddy is comfortable playing centre, wing or fullback, and Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire says he will add valuable experience to the Rabbitohs backline next year.

“Joel is a top quality player with over 100 games in the NRL and representative football experience as well, so we’re really looking forward to be adding him to our squad for the next two seasons,” Coach Maguire said.

“We have a number of young, up-and-coming players in our backline and his experience will be invaluable for them.

“From our discussions he’s showing the competitive drive and professionalism that we look for in our players, and we’re looking forward to welcoming him into our squad in the pre-season.”

Reddy says he’s looking forward to playing in the red and green in 2014 and beyond.

“I’m very excited to be joining the Rabbitohs next season,” Reddy said.

“The Club has a good squad and a great coach and they look like being successful for many seasons to come.

“It’s a great opportunity for me and I’m looking forward to joining the team in the pre-season.”

Biography:

Name: Joel Reddy
Date of Birth: 8 October 1985
Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW
Position: Utility back
Height: 193cm
Weight: 99kg
Junior Club: Yarrawarrah Tigers
Previous Clubs: Eels (2005-11), Tigers (2012-13)
Rep Honours: City Origin (2010, 2013)
NRL Games: 117 (90 for the Eels, 27 for the Tigers)
NRL Points: 168 (from 42 tries)
NRL Debut: Eels vs Bulldogs, Parramatta Stadium, 12 August 2005 (Rd 23)

*** Capital Training Institute is the official Membership partner of the South Sydney Rabbitohs ***

Stand Above the Rest.
Up the Rabbitohs!

1175614_10151877164322743_1312754522_n.jpg

Funny, I checked the fixture and I cant find any mention of a team called 'Easts' or 'Eastern Suburbs' :D

Souths get a better deal at ANZ, which is why they are there instead. Allianz now looking desperate to get the bunnies back as the ground is struggling financially and needs more events.

Twitter feeds during the match were dominated by Roosters fans, don't they even make the effort to go to games.

Michael Crocker will retire at the end of the season

Members email below.

Dear Chris,
Rabbitohs captain Michael Crocker has announced today that he will retire from playing Rugby League at the end of the 2013 season, bringing to a close a career filled with success at both club and representative levels.

Crocker, 33, made his first grade debut playing for the Sydney Roosters against the Bulldogs at the Sydney Football Stadium on 25 March 2001 in round six.

Crocker played five seasons and 92 first grade games with the Roosters where he was part of the premiership-winning 2002 side, as well as the 2003 and 2004 Grand Final teams.

Crocker then moved south to Melbourne where he played three seasons and 44 first grade games with the Storm, playing in the Grand Final-winning 2007 side as well as the 2008 Grand Final team.

Crocker then shifted to the South Sydney Rabbitohs midway through the 2009 season where he has gone on to play 68 first grade games over five seasons, as well as being part of the five-man leadership group that captained the Club in 2012, and being named the Club’s captain in 2013.

Crocker was the 714th player to represent Australia which he did on six occasions between 2003 and 2008, Queensland in 13 State of Origin games between 2003 and 2009, and the Prime Minister’s XIII in 2011.

“After undergoing surgery in April my focus has been to get back on the field. My goal was to captain South Sydney to a grand final win and to play again next season,” Crocker said.

“It has been a challenging year and I have explored every possible option to get myself back playing. Unfortunately, I have arrived at the point where my knee is unable to meet the demands of professional football. Sadly this means I will be unable to play for the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the remainder of this season.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody involved in my Rugby League career. From my parents who allowed me to play the game I loved as a kid, to the Members, fans, corporates, coaching staff, medical staff, and support staff; I thank you.

“To every player I have played alongside and against over the past 29 years; it has been a privilege and I sincerely thank you.

“Finally I would like to thank my beautiful wife Sally, for having the biggest influence on my life, on and off the field. Thank you for your guidance, patience and support. You have encouraged me to become the best person and player I could possibly be.

“It has been an incredible 13 years playing in the NRL and my career has been blessed. I am honoured to have played for my state and country and I am privileged to have experienced grand final success at both the Roosters and Melbourne Storm.

“I have played at three fantastic clubs, coached by arguably some of the best coaches of all time. I have enjoyed every success that football has to offer and most importantly I have made lifelong friends along the way.

“My wife and I are excited about the next chapter of our lives and no matter the path I choose to pursue, I will always remain involved in the football community.”

Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire said: “From the time of my arrival, ‘Crock’ has been a major part of the cultural change that has occurred here at the Rabbitohs.

“Through his experience, his dedication and his will to find ways to improve his game at the back end of his career, it’s a real credit to him as a person to have seen the effort he has put in over the past two seasons here.

“He has definitely left his mark as a player and as a person on our squad, and I wish him all the best in his next chapter.

“If he dedicates himself to his next path in the same manner he has as a Rugby League player, I’m sure he will be very successful in whichever field he chooses.”

Biography:

Name:
Michael Crocker
Date of Birth: 21 June 1980
Place of Birth: Sydney, NSW
Height: 185cm
Weight: 100kg
Position: Utility forward
Junior Club: Norths Devils
First Grade Debut: Roosters vs Bulldogs, Sydney Football Stadium, 25 March 2001 (Rd 6)
Rabbitohs Debut: Rabbitohs vs Tigers, Sydney Cricket Ground, 17 May 2009 (Rd 10)
First Grade Clubs and Games: 204 games to date
Sydney Roosters (92 games from 2001-05);
Melbourne Storm (44 games from 2006-08);
South Sydney Rabbitohs (68 games to date from 2009-13)
First Grade Points: 278 from 32 tries and 75 goals
Representative Honours: Six Tests for Australia (2003-08);
13 State of Origin matches for Queensland (2003-09);
Prime Minister’s XIII (2011)
Achievements: Five Grand Final appearances (2002-04, 2007-08)
Two Grand Final victories (2002, 2007)
Captaincy leadership group member of the South Sydney Rabbitohs (2012)
Captain of the South Sydney Rabbitohs (2013)
Two State of Origin Series wins with Queensland (2008-09)
Bob McCarthy Clubman of the Year Award at the Rabbitohs (2011-12)
Members’ Choice Award at the Rabbitohs (2011)

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have signed dual international Lote Tuqiri for the 2014 season today.

Tuqiri, 34, brings with him a wealth of experience playing at the highest level in two football codes in the outside backs, having represented Australia in both Rugby League and Rugby Union over a 15-year professional sporting career.

Biography:

Name: Lote Tuqiri
Date of Birth: 23 September 1979
Place of Birth: Korolevu, Fiji
Position: Wing
Height: 191cm
Weight: 106kg
Junior Clubs: Souths Sunnybank; Logan Brothers
Previous Clubs: Leinster Rugby Union (2013); Wests Tigers NRL (2010-2013); Leicester Tigers Rugby Union (2009-10); NSW Waratahs Rugby Union (2003-09); Brisbane Broncos NRL (1999-2002)
Rep Honours: Nine Rugby League Tests for Australia (2001-02, 2010); Four Nations (2010); Kangaroo Tour (2001); Three Rugby League Tests for Fiji (2000 World Cup); Six State of Origin matches for Queensland (2001-02); 67 Rugby Union Tests for Australia (2003-09); 89 Super Rugby matches for NSW Waratahs (2003-09)
NRL Debut: Broncos vs Sharks, ANZ Stadium Brisbane, 14 March 1999 (Rd 2) NRL Games: 151 (99 for the Broncos; 52 for the Tigers)
NRL Points: 368 (from 83 tries and 18 goals]

Not overly excited by this signing, but I'm sure once he dons the Red & Green that will change.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-display/Rabbitohs-Continue-to-Lead-the-Way-in-Membership/89692

Rabbitohs Continue to Lead the Way in Membership

Wednesday 29 January 2014 4:11 PM
00112207-leadimage.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are leading the way in Membership for 2014, with the Club currently enjoying the support of 23,533 Members – nearly 3000 Members more than the same time in 2013.
The Rabbitohs now find themselves a whopping 7,584 Members ahead of the second placed Brisbane Broncos.
The Penrith Panthers became the first NRL club to pass their 2013 membership numbers while NRL clubs continue to track 9% ahead of membership figures from this time last year.
The Sea Eagles, Eels and 2013 Telstra premiership winners, the Roosters continue their impressive forms tracking more than 30% ahead of their January 2013 membership numbers.
The biggest movers over the past month have been the Dragons who now sit third in the total number of overall Memberships after a late start due to the late finalisation of their home venues for 2014.
“With more than a month to go before the 2014 Telstra Premiership season kick-off on Thursday, 6 March, our club membership numbers are showing good signs of growth, which is a real positive for the upcoming season,” NRL head of Commercial Paul Kind said.
“Regardless of where many of the clubs actually finished on the 2013 premiership season ladder, the passion the fans and members have for their teams has been outstanding.”
In the coming weeks, the NRL will continue to work closely with all clubs to ensure that fans are aware of the importance and benefits of becoming a club member.
NRL Club Membership numbers January 2014:

00059039-image.jpg

The South Sydney Rabbitohs would like to congratulate each and every one of our 23,533 Members for Standing Above the Rest and joining the Rabbitohs family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Sammy Burgess succumbs to the temptation of bigger pay and a bigger fame provided by union.

Plenty of my rabbitoh supporting mates were constantly and aggressively trying to quash rumours of him going but as it showed once the speculation grew it really was inevitable.

Really, as RU is a winter sport in England, he could play both; Bath in the winter and Wigan (say) in the summer. Anything SBW can do...:p

Sam Burgess would have stayed if he could play Origin, says Russell Crowe

lead-20burgess-202-20140218113529471351-620x349.jpg

South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe has backed Sam Burgess to succeed in rugby but suggested the English forward may not have been tempted to switch codes if he had been allowed to play State of Origin for NSW.
Crowe, who was responsible for luring Burgess to the Rabbitohs and ultimately in deciding to release him at the end of the season to pursue a place in the 2015 Rugby World Cup, said the 25-year-old had wanted to play for the Blues.
Burgess, who moved to Australia in 2010 to play for Souths, has regularly spoken of his desire to play Origin and even previously described himself as ‘‘New Souths Welshman’’.
lead-20crowe-20leaad-202-20140218113918655339-620x349.jpg

"In rugby league the pinnacle of the game is not a Test jersey, it is State of Origin":
However, a change to the Origin eligibility rules last year requiring players to have resided in the state they wanted to represent before the age of 13 ruled out any chance of Burgess turning out for the Blues – even if he gave up playing for England.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sam-burgess-would-have-stayed-if-he-could-play-origin-says-russell-crowe-20140218-32xda.html#ixzz2tiHImoZc

Would have loved him to stay, but alas I just hope he leaves with a premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back