Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

beert

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I was just looking through old squiggles (as one does), and I was wondering how North won the flag in 1999? I wasn't that into football at the time, so can't remember that much, but the squiggle tells an amazing story.

Brisbane went from pretty much bottom left to top right, surrounded by premierships and then North, who were ok offensively but terrible defensively smashed them in the PF. Must have been a ride and a half for Brisbane supporters!

Last edited:

Final Siren

Mr Squiggle
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I was just looking through old squiggles (as one does), and I was wondering how North won the flag in 1999? I wasn't that into football at the time, so can't remember that much, but the squiggle tells an amazing story.

Brisbane went from pretty much bottom left to top right, surrounded by premierships and then North, who were ok offensively but terrible defensively smashed them in the PF. Must have been a ride and a half for Brisbane supporters!
Wow, yes. Brisbane won the spoon in 1998, then under new coach Leigh Matthews rocketed to 3rd in '99 with a 16-5 record and a percentage of 144.9%, way more than any other team. That would have been fun.

Brisbane beat Carlton (6th) by 73pts in their first final and the Bulldogs (4th) by 54pts in the semi. The prelim vs the Kangaroos was tight until very late, when the Roos (2nd) kicked away.

Then Carlton pulled off that amazing upset of Essendon (1st) in the other prelim, and North had a much weaker GF opponent than expected.

The Kangaroos snagged a lot of close wins that year, including 2 points over St Kilda (10th), 1 point over Melbourne (14th), and 2 points over Brisbane (3rd), finishing with a percentage of only 115.7%, which is why the squiggle didn't really love them. But their late-season form was very very good.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it ridiculous that I look forward to seeing the squiggle the Monday after a round? :)

Think the Hawks will slide up and right.
Freo (hopefully - up and right) Wanting us to move in amongst the group of former winners. The hawks still look formidable way up the top there.

Will a loss against syd severely impact their projected fortunes? Or will the squiggle still love them because (there is good reason too - and because they score so highly in general?)

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Just noticed it's almost impossible to see the movement Freo made this week because of the logo covering it. Might it be worth looking into a button to toggle them on and off?
Bit irrelevant isn't it?

Freo are better than the squiggle thinks anyway because they keep "managing" players late in games.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Final Siren is it fair to suggest, that according to Squiggles, the 1988 Hawthorn team was superior to the Geelong 2011 team?

http://maxbarry.com/squiggle/1988.html
vs
http://maxbarry.com/squiggle/2011.html

Geelong weren't really near that area of the Squiggle until their game against Collingwood, whereas Hawthorn of 1988 were in that area for more than half of the season. They really smashed teams that year and demolished Carlton in the GF.

Catatonic Shock

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2013
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Final Siren is it fair to suggest, that according to Squiggles, the 1988 Hawthorn team was superior to the Geelong 2011 team?

http://maxbarry.com/squiggle/1988.html
vs
http://maxbarry.com/squiggle/2011.html

Geelong weren't really near that area of the Squiggle until their game against Collingwood, whereas Hawthorn of 1988 were in that area for more than half of the season. They really smashed teams that year and demolished Carlton in the GF.

Could just suggest they had little competition compared to the Cats.

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Final Siren in your predicted ladder for the home and away season you have given teams wins but the ladder gives them a loss. It appears that Port is predicted to win against Adelaide and Essendon but is given 2 losses on the ladder.
Please read the FAQ (or this thread). The squiggle and the predictor are working fine.

Back