Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

I think of the flagpole as an "At their best" rating - which would somewhat logically make sense. Fremantle haven't been exceptionally good at any one time this season, but their 'worst' has been significantly better than the other top-4 sides.

Hawks lose the QF by 1 point in a thriller, then fight their way back through the Doggies and Freo in Perth to take revenge on WC in the GF.

Would absolutely love to see that happen.

If the squiggle is correct and Hawthorn has to come back to Perth in week 3 of the finals to play a rested Fremantle, really can't see how they would win.

According to the squiggle Fremantle probably wont kick more than 11 goals in either final

Fremantle will have to kick 13-14 goals to defeat West Coast or Hawthorn in either PF or the GF decider

Round 22, 2015

tP4Vy5q.jpg

Animated!
0jc7ROj.gif

The Hawthorn line has been intersected! It took more than three years but IT FINALLY HAPPENED.

Adelaide have put together four huge performances in a row, embarrassing Richmond, Essendon, Brisbane, and now West Coast by an average of 73 points. The Crows have really only had one outright bad game in more than two months, the 52-point loss to Sydney in Round 18.

The Swans had to fight for their seat at the top 4 table and did so by thrashing St Kilda.

Hawthorn won by 72 points, but allowed Brisbane to sneak through a couple more goals than expected, upon which the squiggle frowned.

Further down, the Pies dragged the Cats down to their level, and the Blues sank a little deeper.

If all squiggle tips are correct in the final round, the home & away ladder will look like the below. (It's tipping Port over Fremantle even without knowing Lyon is planning to rest half the team; that's how down it is on the minor premiers.)

1MkGKOS.png

Some impressive lengthening from Adelaide in the flagpole! This algorithm takes a lot of notice of exceptional high-scoring performances, especially against good teams, so it loved what the Crows delivered against the Eagles.

7CmceL0.png

Live squiggle: fun for children of all ages

Live flagpole needs some work. How port can be higher than fremantle at this stage is a little absurd.
Not necessarily - as has been mentioned, if Freo win it will be a big blow to the flagpole, but if it's had success picking teams closest to a flag and Freo don't go close it looks very smart.

Live flagpole needs some work. How port can be higher than fremantle at this stage is a little absurd.
This has been explained before. Flagpole measures current form and doesn't really care if the team can make finals

Final Siren You know how like, you automatically put +12 or whatever when a team travels. Did you do any research with this number, or did it just seem like a good easy to start with? Would be interesting to see if it should be more or less

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then it's useless.

Not really. Given 'Current form' of the teams, I'd be inclined to believe that Port is closer to winning a Premiership than Freo is.

Sure Port might not actually win until 2016/17 or even later, but I personally don't see Freo winning this year (on current form).
Then with Pav/Sandi/McPharlin either gone in 2016 or at the least slowing down, Port will be a better chance to finish top 4.

Will be interesting to see the flagpole after next week (even though Ross is gonna rest up as many as he can).

Not really. Given 'Current form' of the teams, I'd be inclined to believe that Port is closer to winning a Premiership than Freo is.

Sure Port might not actually win until 2016/17 or even later, but I personally don't see Freo winning this year (on current form).
Then with Pav/Sandi/McPharlin either gone in 2016 or at the least slowing down, Port will be a better chance to finish top 4.

Will be interesting to see the flagpole after next week (even though Ross is gonna rest up as many as he can).
Nonsense. This was said last year. People thought Port were a premiership favourite going into 2015 while Freo were a chance to miss finals. Instead Port missed finals.

Final Siren You know how like, you automatically put +12 or whatever when a team travels. Did you do any research with this number, or did it just seem like a good easy to start with? Would be interesting to see if it should be more or less
Oh yeah, that number is the result of brute-force analysis of every possible combination of variables. 12 is what works best over the last 20 years.

But for particular years, other numbers (and algorithms) do better, of course. This year, interstate home advantage doesn't seem to have been that strong, and none of the top 15 algorithms by 2015 correct tips use it. (ISTATE-91:12 has 136 tips at 72.3%; the best algorithm so far, which is basically flagpole, has 143 tips at 76.1%. Although ISTATE-91:12 has had a good year by error margin; it's just had a lot of 1, 2 and 3 point tips go the wrong way. I think it's something like 2-10 from those.)

Last edited:
Data from the Flagpole:

Attack Defence Combine
Fremantle.png
Fremantle 58.7 69.8 64.3
Port%20Adelaide.png
Port Adelaide 65.0 62.8 63.9

Going from the figures, and those of the other teams, it is clear that the Flagpole depends more on attack then defence (as shown by WC being higher than Sydney on the 'pole, despite having a lower 'combined' total).

On current form Port has a far better attack, meaning that the flagpole feels they are a better chance for a premiership.

It doesn't matter if you don't agree with statistics and probabilities, it won't change them.

I am thinking about having it drop down flags to zero once a team can't make the finals. That would look pretty neat. Like, TAKE THAT, PORT.

I dunno about scaling it based on a team's chance of making finals, though, or the benefit of having home finals. As I mentioned before, I think that's only worthwhile if the algorithm can do a better-than-human job of it. Otherwise the graphic becomes less useful to you, because you lose the ability to read it for what it is--a conversion of match results into a form rating--and add your own assessment of things like the benefit of home finals, travel, finishing 5th rather than 4th, etc.

I just don't know of any great way to sensibly calculate that kind of thing, so I leave it to you.

[...] Going from the figures, and those of the other teams, it is clear that the Flagpole depends more on attack then defence [...]
Correct! And this is highly influenced by the fact that attacking teams have won plenty of flags. If St. Kilda and Fremantle had saluted -- which you might think could easily have happened, given a little luck -- then I'd be using a different algorithm, since the current one wouldn't have done so well at predicting premiers.

Data from the Flagpole:

Attack Defence Combine
Fremantle.png
Fremantle 58.7 69.8 64.3
Port%20Adelaide.png
Port Adelaide 65.0 62.8 63.9

Going from the figures, and those of the other teams, it is clear that the Flagpole depends more on attack then defence (as shown by WC being higher than Sydney on the 'pole, despite having a lower 'combined' total).

On current form Port has a far better attack, meaning that the flagpole feels they are a better chance for a premiership.

It doesn't matter if you don't agree with statistics and probabilities, it won't change them.
These are not statistics and probabilities. It's a number of heuristic models that change depending on their best fit for the result. Individual games are picked by standard Squiggle algorithm, the grand final is pick by its own separate algorithm than rates recent form higher, and flagpole is picked by a third unrelated one that rates scoring more favourably.

The only algorithm that would make sense in terms of 'who is closest to the flag' would be one based on a Markov chain. Based on the Squiggle predictions for games, Hawthorn and West Coast are reasonable chances of not making the GF, if they didn't, would they still lead in the flag pole?

These are not statistics and probabilities. It's a number of heuristic models that change depending on their best fit for the result. Individual games are picked by standard Squiggle algorithm, the grand final is pick by its own separate algorithm than rates recent form higher, and flagpole is picked by a third unrelated one that rates scoring more favourably.

The only algorithm that would make sense in terms of 'who is closest to the flag' would be one based on a Markov chain. Based on the Squiggle predictions for games, Hawthorn and West Coast are reasonable chances of not making the GF, if they didn't, would they still lead in the flag pole?

The statistics of points for/against are used in the squiggle. The flagpole algorithm i'm sure uses a somewhat similar mechanism based on game stats to generate its data.

You can argue the semantics of the terms I used if you want. In any case my point remains - just because YOU don't agree with the specific algorithm used because it denigrates your team in some way doesn't make it 'useless'.
I personally find it quite useful, and would do so regardless of where Hawthorn is placed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back