Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

The squiggle is not sacrosanct to sexual innuendo. Especially considering its propensity for drawing particular sexual organs.

You're just a fuddy duddy.

Yes but once started, youll get the usual suspects talking about going in dry and stuff like that. Is suppose it was funny the first time, but after a few thousand times its very wearing

How do you calculate the starting position for the start of a new season?

Is it based on the end of the last seaon, or do all teams start at the same point and diverge from there?

Yes but once started, youll get the usual suspects talking about going in dry and stuff like that. Is suppose it was funny the first time, but after a few thousand times its very wearing

I said it once champ. It was begging for a joke when the term "crossing squiggles" was stated.

You should change your username from Pessimistic to Pedantic. Jesus Christ.

How do you calculate the starting position for the start of a new season?

Is it based on the end of the last seaon, or do all teams start at the same point and diverge from there?
It's very similar to the end of the previous season, but 2013 data will get thrown out. So the squiggle will play through 2014 again with all teams starting at 50/50 and where they finish is their 2015 starting point.

The squiggle has a small amount of built-in inflation, so dropping a year's worth of data will shift teams back, too. For example, Melbourne are 42/53 right now but will start next year at 41/50.

Thing is partisan support aside, I can see the winner of the Hawthorn / Port Adelaide game going on to win the flag. My reason for this is as follows:.
I stopped reading there. Are you Roby in disguise?

- Up until SF weekend, no top 4 side had beaten another top 4 side away from home
Maybe I'm wrong, but the Swans beat Port @ Port and at the time they were top 4. But then again I could be wrong, I've been known to be wrong time to time...

Agreed - think the rain in the NSW match will also play a factor.
Because Swans are afraid of water, yeah?

I've got no problem with Hawks fans being confident, heck most Swans fans are very confident. I still find it laughable that Hawks fans say that they just need to turn up to win it. Both teams will be at full strength and I'm supremely confident that with both teams at full strength, Sydney will prove to be the better side. At least this time we won't be carrying Shane Mumford to a premiership and we'll have McGlynn in the side, who is excellent mind you.

Last edited:
I stopped reading there. Are you Roby in disguise?

Maybe I'm wrong, but the Swans beat Port @ Port and at the time they were top 4. But then again I could be wrong, I've been known to be wrong time to time...

They were 5th

I've got no problem with Hawks fans being confident, heck most Swans fans are very confident. I still find it laughable that Hawks fans say that they just need to turn up to win it. Both teams will be at full strength and I'm supremely confident that with both teams at full strength, Sydney will prove to be the better side. At least this time we won't be carrying Shane Mumford to a premiership and we'll have McGlynn in the side, who is excellent mind you.

No one is saying that.

Just pointing out that the winner of the Hawthorn V Port Adelaide game would be buoyant about their chances in a GF against the Swans based on the squiggle. That said North Melbourne fans have every right to be confident about winning the thing given they are undefeated against the three sides left in contention

Just pointing out that the winner of the Hawthorn V Port Adelaide game would be buoyant about their chances in a GF against the Swans based on the squiggle. That said North Melbourne fans have every right to be confident about winning the thing given they are undefeated against the three sides left in contention
Yeah well an unbelievable amount of idiots have been creating threads on the main board for why the Roos will win. Unfortunately most of them have been North supporters. They're a confident bunch no doubt, but they're not really living in reality. It was conceivable and most definitely possible that they could have beaten Geelong since they had their measure in 2012 & 2013, and likewise Port over Fremantle, who they should have beaten a few weeks earlier. But all odds are going to the Swans, who have a fit and healthy list and are playing at the ANZ, who haven't lost a final there since 2003. Our loss to North was our first loss since 2007 (I remember that game, fml.), so yeah, 1 win out of nearly a dozen and all of a sudden it's the blue surge to the grand final.

Sigh.

My preference is a Swans vs Port GF because it'll be really exciting, but a Swans vs Hawks GF will be just as good. Besides, it would be a good fairytale story for Port, but they wouldn't really have much chance against the Swans, whereas a Sydney vs Hawks GF is 50/50, like 2 years ago.

Posted this on a different thread but its probably more relevant here...

Lifted this from another website but in terms of quarters won...

Swans
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
16 14 15 14

Hawks
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
13 15 16 14

Port
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
13 12 14 16

North Melbourne
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
12 7 15 17

Sydney have won 59 quarters from 92 possible quarters (64.1%)
Hawthorn have won 58 quarters from 92 possible quarters (63.04%)
Port Adelaide have won 55 quarters from 96 possible quarters (57.29%
North Melbourne have won 51 quarters from 96 possible quarters (53.13%)

Surprisingly in terms of quarters won (in second half), the fittest sides in the league are:

North Melbourne (66.66%)
Hawthorn (65.2%)
Swans (63%)
Port Adelaide (62.5%)

If you looked at it purely from quarters won (ratio of winning quarters / 2) you can work out a simplistic indicator of victory....

Sydney V North Melbourne is a 60/40 game in favour of Sydney (64.01 / 53.13 halved vs. 53.13 / 64.01 halved)
Hawthorn V Port Adelaide is a 55/45 game in favour of Hawthorn (63.04 / 57.29 halved vs. 57.29 / 63.04 halved)

If North Melbourne are within 12 points at 3/4 time look out!

Anyway just some food for thought...

Yeah well an unbelievable amount of idiots have been creating threads on the main board for why the Roos will win. Unfortunately most of them have been North supporters. They're a confident bunch no doubt, but they're not really living in reality. It was conceivable and most definitely possible that they could have beaten Geelong since they had their measure in 2012 & 2013, and likewise Port over Fremantle, who they should have beaten a few weeks earlier. But all odds are going to the Swans, who have a fit and healthy list and are playing at the ANZ, who haven't lost a final there since 2003. Our loss to North was our first loss since 2007 (I remember that game, fml.), so yeah, 1 win out of nearly a dozen and all of a sudden it's the blue surge to the grand final.

Sigh.

My preference is a Swans vs Port GF because it'll be really exciting, but a Swans vs Hawks GF will be just as good. Besides, it would be a good fairytale story for Port, but they wouldn't really have much chance against the Swans, whereas a Sydney vs Hawks GF is 50/50, like 2 years ago.
Not all North fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this on a different thread but its probably more relevant here...

Lifted this from another website but in terms of quarters won...

Swans
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
16 14 15 14

Hawks
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
13 15 16 14

Port
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
13 12 14 16

North Melbourne
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
12 7 15 17

Sydney have won 59 quarters from 92 possible quarters (64.1%)
Hawthorn have won 58 quarters from 92 possible quarters (63.04%)
Port Adelaide have won 55 quarters from 96 possible quarters (57.29%
North Melbourne have won 51 quarters from 96 possible quarters (53.13%)

Surprisingly in terms of quarters won (in second half), the fittest sides in the league are:

North Melbourne (66.66%)
Hawthorn (65.2%)
Swans (63%)
Port Adelaide (62.5%)

If you looked at it purely from quarters won (ratio of winning quarters / 2) you can work out a simplistic indicator of victory....

Sydney V North Melbourne is a 60/40 game in favour of Sydney (64.01 / 53.13 halved vs. 53.13 / 64.01 halved)
Hawthorn V Port Adelaide is a 55/45 game in favour of Hawthorn (63.04 / 57.29 halved vs. 57.29 / 63.04 halved)

If North Melbourne are within 12 points at 3/4 time look out!

Anyway just some food for thought...
Interesting numbers. One thing it doesn't take into account though is winning margins of those quarters as well the difficulty level of playing certain teams twice. I know Hawthorn's draw was independently assessed to be the second most difficult (to Brisbane) in the pre season. I'm not sure if that still stands now the H&A is over (I imagine it probably does given we played 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th twice and only got to play 5th away).
Just factoring that into these numbers it makes me feel quite confident going into this week (and hopefully next week too). Stats don't win games though, Hawks will still need to perform accordingly to get the result.

Interesting numbers. One thing it doesn't take into account though is winning margins of those quarters as well the difficulty level of playing certain teams twice. I know Hawthorn's draw was independently assessed to be the second most difficult (to Brisbane) in the pre season. I'm not sure if that still stands now the H&A is over (I imagine it probably does given we played 1st, 3rd, 4th and 6th twice and only got to play 5th away)..
um we played 6th (north) only once (away - etihad) as well as 7th away. The other double ups were 11th and 12th although GC were tougher when we played them (ablett played in both). Against that our rematch vs collingwood was much easier than it should have been given massive injury list.

Sigh.

So we should be throwing out the same old "I hope we put on a good showing" line? * that. We're in it to win it. Will we? I have no idea. Can we? Absolutely.

um we played 6th (north) only once (away - etihad) as well as 7th away. The other double ups were 11th and 12th although GC were tougher when we played them (ablett played in both). Against that our rematch vs collingwood was much easier than it should have been given massive injury list.
I stand corrected. Was thinking of 2013 when I thought of North. Didn't bother mentioning GC and Pies as they finished outside the 8.

Yeah well an unbelievable amount of idiots have been creating threads on the main board for why the Roos will win. Unfortunately most of them have been North supporters. They're a confident bunch no doubt, but they're not really living in reality.

I haven't read anyone saying North WILL win. Many saying we're a chance to win, myself included but most admitting Swans going in favs as they should be. Myself included.

I have however read many Swans supporters (see below) stating that the Swans WILL win as if fact. I still refrain from saying that Swans supporters are arrogant tossers because just because a few are.

My tip is Swans by 18 bloody but hell the Kangas are a red hot chance if they turn up. (Apologies to Squiggy who tips the Swans by 26)

we will win this week.

I'm probably the most pessimistic swans fan aside from punts, but this like freo doesn't bother me.
will be a tough game but we will get the bickies.

Because Swans are afraid of water, yeah?

A hard slog in the wet will be much harder to back up from.

Take it to the Bay if you want to carry on.

I've got no problem with Hawks fans being confident, heck most Swans fans are very confident. I still find it laughable that Hawks fans say that they just need to turn up to win it.

Typical hyperbole from this poster. Show us where Hawks fans are saying that? Most hawks fans are worried about getting over Port, and see a subsequent win against the AFL sponsored team as a win against the odds.

Still waiting for you to follow through on your Breust related promise back in June on this thread:

If he is rated as AA material id chew off my leg and feed it to my cat.

Did your cat enjoy the meal?

Do you save all your rubbish posts for this thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back