Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

e_N5wl_Ii.png

It has been foretold!

The Legend of Clarko: Oracle of Seasons

Did Geelong actually chart better than Collingwood that year though?

Collingwood were out there beyond even WCE1994 for defence and yet were still around the median premiership winning range for attack, and are further from the bottom left pivot than Geelong, which surely says that their attack/defence ratio was superior.....or am I getting things drastically wrong.......I'm very hesitant to disagree with the genius behind the squiggle.
Flattery will get you everywhere. But no, in terms of distance from the pivot, i.e. summing attack and defence, Geelong overtake Collingwood in the first week or two of finals in 2011. Collingwood was charting a lot better for most of the year though.

If North gets up tonight, the Squiggle should honour North's continued ability to completely utensil up the predictions somehow.
Last week wasn't 'cocked up' - the squiggle got within 8 points. That is pretty bloody good.

Last week wasn't 'cocked up' - the squiggle got within 8 points. That is pretty bloody good.

I'm talking the past 2 years worth of Squiggle. North has ignored the squiggle more than any other team in the league with their inconsistency.

Do we have a top 8 squiggle? How much are the results inflated by blowouts vs pretenders?
I had a poke around. First, I wasn't able to find any compelling predictive power in assigning more weight to results against stronger teams. (Beyond what the squiggle already does, that is.) So doing it this way doesn't seem to make for better tips, not even just for finals or Grand Finals.

But I did find it interesting to see how different some teams' squiggle positions are when only results against Top 8 teams are included. So the chart below shows a line leading from their real squiggle position to where they'd be if we only counted games against the 2014 Top 8.

Teams still start in the same place - I'm not excluding any 2013 data, only 2014 games against bottom-10 opponents. I also made a general inflation adjustment, since otherwise the new positions would all tend to be a bit less due to the much lower number of games.

Ha7vrNU.png

West Coast is the big difference: they really did spend the year beating up bottom teams and losing to top ones. Collingwood look a lot better. Melbourne get more credit for hanging in games against tough opposition, and GWS don't. St. Kilda is mostly dragged up by its shock drubbing of Freo. North look more like a proper top 4 team, while Port are a little shaky, due to losses to Richmond, Essendon, and the Swans.

And Sydney just sits there. Look at them. Ominous, isn't it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a poke around. First, I wasn't able to find any compelling predictive power in assigning more weight to results against stronger teams. (Beyond what the squiggle already does, that is.) So doing it this way doesn't seem to make for better tips, not even just for finals or Grand Finals.

But I did find it interesting to see how different some teams' squiggle positions are when only results against Top 8 teams are included. So the chart below shows a line leading from their real squiggle position to where they'd be if we only counted games against the 2014 Top 8.

Teams still start in the same place - I'm not excluding any 2013 data, only 2014 games against bottom-10 opponents. I also made a general inflation adjustment, since otherwise the new positions would all tend to be a bit less due to the much lower number of games.

Ha7vrNU.png

West Coast is the big difference: they really did spend the year beating up bottom teams and losing to top ones. Collingwood look a lot better. Melbourne get more credit for hanging in games against tough opposition, and GWS don't. St. Kilda is mostly dragged up by its shock drubbing of Freo. North look more like a proper top 4 team, while Port are a little shaky, due to losses to Richmond, Essendon, and the Swans.

And Sydney just sits there. Look at them. Ominous, isn't it.

Great information, the ones with massive variances are of interest to me.

Typical hyperbole from this poster. Show us where Hawks fans are saying that? Most hawks fans are worried about getting over Port, and see a subsequent win against the AFL sponsored team as a win against the odds.

Still waiting for you to follow through on your Breust related promise back in June on this thread:

Did your cat enjoy the meal?

Do you save all your rubbish posts for this thread?
No, he spreads his rubbish posts all around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back