"Race" for the wooden spoon

Remove this Banner Ad

The Swert

Premiership Player
May 3, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For the first time in probably 5 years we have a really even competition. The top eight is very much up in the air and much talked about but even at the bottom end it is really even.

So who will win the wooden spoon?

Currently there are 4 teams on 4 wins - GWS, Melbourne, Brisbane and St Kilda.

Unless something devastating happens, it will come from one of these teams.

There looks to be two critical games -
The Melbourne vs Brisbane in round 19 and Melbourne vs GWS in round 21.

The Saints have a decent run home with opportunities perhaps against the Bulldogs, Tigers and Suns.
Meanwhile the Lions look to have the toughest run home including the Dockers, Cats and Pies.

If we play against Brisbane and GWS like we did against Port we should be able to win those games. If we play like we did the month prior I would expect us to lose both.

The Optimist in me says we can potentially win three more games for the year.

The realist in me says we will win one.

Unfortunately, despite our bottom 3 finish last year, we don't get to play GWS or Melbourne again. It would've answered some questions.
But it does raise one important one - how the hell in a supposedly 'seeded' fixture does a team not get drawn twice against its two closest rivals?
Hate to say it but you don't hand the reigns of your club over to Pelchen, get rid of Dal Santo and McEvoy, not win for 3 months and then win pointless games in the last 5 weeks. If you want to answer questions you've got Richmond and the Dogs, even Adel and GC away aren't infallible. But it's the time of the year where St Kilda fans shouldn't be asking questions.

Much respect for the bottom teams this year. This is the first season in ages where they all seem to be fighting the season out and none are happy to just roll over and accept the spoon.

Having said that, I'd still like to see a tweak where the 2nd last team gets the #1 pick and the bottom team gets #2. The spoon should be a shameful prize that every club should fight tooth and nail to avoid and I feel the silver lining of the #1 pick lessens that shame too much.

Much respect for the bottom teams this year. This is the first season in ages where they all seem to be fighting the season out and none are happy to just roll over and accept the spoon.

Having said that, I'd still like to see a tweak where the 2nd last team gets the #1 pick and the bottom team gets #2. The spoon should be a shameful prize that every club should fight tooth and nail to avoid and I feel the silver lining of the #1 pick lessens that shame too much.

Make it a lottery just like the NBA! No guaranteed reward for finishing last or even second last.

Hate to say it but you don't hand the reigns of your club over to Pelchen, get rid of Dal Santo and McEvoy, not win for 3 months and then win pointless games in the last 5 weeks. If you want to answer questions you've got Richmond and the Dogs, even Adel and GC away aren't infallible. But it's the time of the year where St Kilda fans shouldn't be asking questions.
Not sure what you mean? Pelchen has done a great job rebuilding our list for the future. Dal was a free agent and wouldn't be around when we are a contender. As for McEvoy - fantastic trade for us - we got a future star and possible captain in Dunstan, and an ever improving Savage - for a ruckman that would soon lose his spot to both Hickey and Longer. I don't know a saint supporter who isn't counting their blessings over that trade. Meanwhile McEvoy plies his trade in the vfl.
And the questions will arise from either Melbourne or GWS fans if they should finish bottom - would we have beaten st kilda if we'd played a rematch? As it is ,all we know is the saints beat both of them.

Make it a lottery just like the NBA! No guaranteed reward for finishing last or even second last.

Bottom 4 teams lottery, put in 10 balls....last team gets 4, 2nd last gets 3, 3rd last gets 2, 4th last gets 1. Luck of the draw. The worst a side that comes last can get is pick 4.

Not sure what you mean? Pelchen has done a great job rebuilding our list for the future. Dal was a free agent and wouldn't be around when we are a contender. As for McEvoy - fantastic trade for us - we got a future star and possible captain in Dunstan, and an ever improving Savage - for a ruckman that would soon lose his spot to both Hickey and Longer. I don't know a saint supporter who isn't counting their blessings over that trade. Meanwhile McEvoy plies his trade in the vfl.
And the questions will arise from either Melbourne or GWS fans if they should finish bottom - would we have beaten st kilda if we'd played a rematch? As it is ,all we know is the saints beat both of them.
GWS and Melbourne fans don't care at all about the saints. And yes pushing out Dal Santo and McEvoy were good and great long term decisions. But unless you have faith that Rhys Stanley will go from 1 good game a season to consistent form then you'd want to find the key forward to replace Riewoldt who is still your best player. There's 1 available in this draft who seems superior to any others and he's likely to go pick 1. You are basking in the glory of a great win and it's masking what would've been a trying 3 months with some horrendous losses. My point is this has been almost the ultimate rebuilding year for the saints and up until now you've earnt the number 1 pick. If you play your way out of it with wins to build culture then good luck to you, but that would go against some of the long term decisions made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lenny Hayes retirement announcement may have reignited St Kilda's season....This may lead to another win or two, which could be counter productive to the club in the long term....Maybe it would be in St kilda's best interests for Lenny to retire immediately ?

The Lenny Hayes retirement announcement may have reignited St Kilda's season....This may lead to another win or two, which could be counter productive to the club in the long term....Maybe it would be in St kilda's best interests for Lenny to retire immediately ?

How? How is winning counter productive?

Bottom 4 teams lottery, put in 10 balls....last team gets 4, 2nd last gets 3, 3rd last gets 2, 4th last gets 1. Luck of the draw. The worst a side that comes last can get is pick 4.
Sometimes the 4th-last team is miles ahead of the last team; last year, by games won it went: 8, 5, 2, 1.

5th-last was also on 8 wins; the chance at pick #1 might be worth a little tank.

In 2011, 4th-last was Adelaide, then the following year were within a kick of the Grand Final.

Last edited:

Damn, flogging Freo was pointless.
Didn't look like it was pointless to the players, especially Lenny Hayes, but I'll take your word for it.

I cannot believe that there are still some people who think tanking is a good idea.

Unfortunately, despite our bottom 3 finish last year, we don't get to play GWS or Melbourne again. It would've answered some questions.
But it does raise one important one - how the hell in a supposedly 'seeded' fixture does a team not get drawn twice against its two closest rivals?

Welcome to our world. Prior to the 2013 season, the AFL unveiled the draw and announced the bottom 4 clubs would get easier draws. These clubs, they announced proudly - were GWS, Melbourne, GCS and Port. Port finished 5th last, we finished 4th last that year... If they cant even get the ******* positions on the ladder correct, what hope have they got of getting anything else organised correctly....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back