Racism Discussion - what is race? what is racism?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
So what? How does that impair your ability to have an emotional investment with the character?

Because after 40 years of a legendary iconic "white" character suddenly becoming black is completely pointless and makes zero sense.

Thus I would sit there the whole time thinking this makes zero sense. Who invests emotions in such stupidity?

Pretty sure nobody invested anything emotionally into Depp's stupid portrayal of an American Indian.

However if you look at Outlaw Josey Wales for example and Chief Dan George's character in that movie he is very much a beloved character because of his legitimacy as the character.

Youre losing me here. Do 'Afro-carribean' parents have some kind of different 'traits' than Anglo-saxon ones? Traits that would dilute my emotional investment to a black Bond depiction?

Yes they have different traits. They throw black children. Obviously Mr and Mrs Bond had a white son they named James.

You obviously have zero emotional investment in James Bond as a character.

No, you commented above that people have an emotional investment with the Bond character. Your clear inference (by way of analogy in the same post) was that by changing his ethnicity this emotional investment would be diluted or changed in some manner.

Which I put to you indicates either a level of prejudice in your thinking, or an acceptance of the prejudice of others.

It indicates a non-acceptance of a stupid piece of casting.

James Bond is a white man, always has been, always should be. It's that simple.

And if anyone cast a white man as Shaft, I'd think it every bit as stupid a piece of casting.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bond isn't English...

He's British.

My only concern is they stay true to Ian Flemming's creation. So don't read your own crap into people's reasoning.

Words on a piece of paper in a book.

Why have you accepted 15 actors that look nothing alike playing the James Bond role and can't accept a dark skinned person playing the role?
Can't accept it? Don't go and see the movie.
http://www.007james.com/articles/who_played_james_bond.php

Read most of the Bourne books even those written by Eric Van Lustbader, didn't like Matt Damon in the role so didn't see the movies, also I didn't go and see Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code as it wasn't how I imagined the main character.

Movies=fantasy=imagination.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Words on a piece of paper in a book.

Why have you accepted 15 actors that look nothing alike playing the James Bond role and can't accept a dark skinned person playing the role?
Can't accept it? Don't go and see the movie.
http://www.007james.com/articles/who_played_james_bond.php

Read most of the Bourne books even those written by Eric Van Lustbader, didn't like Matt Damon in the role so didn't see the movies, also I didn't go and see Tom Hanks in the Da Vinci Code as it wasn't how I imagined the main character.

Movies=fantasy=imagination.

Long past that now.

40 years of white British males. I accept Bond is a white male as was intended.

Funny how you expect me to accept Bond as a black person after 40 years of him being a white yet you wouldnt go watch the Bourne movies because you didn't like Damon in the role.

Cheers ever so much for pointing out why I don't want a black Bond.

At least you understand...

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Because after 40 years of a legendary iconic "white" character suddenly becoming black is completely pointless and makes zero sense.

Thus I would sit there the whole time thinking this makes zero sense. Who invests emotions in such stupidity?

How is white skin becoming black any different from a Scottish accent suddenly becoming English, brown hair suddenly becoming blonde hair or Bond suddenly having an entirely different height, voice, build and weight?

How does him appearing as a black man 'make less sense' than his appearance changing in literally every other way possible?

Why are you so hung up on racial identity here? Why do you place such an importance on it? Bond has literally changed appearance half a dozen times, but when he does it and becomes black you freak out. Is Bonds racial identity somehow important to his character? From where I sit its his national identity that matters.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
How is white skin becoming black any different from a Scottish accent suddenly becoming English, brown hair suddenly becoming blonde hair or Bond suddenly having an entirely different height, voice, build and weight?

Becuase the Bond character was about being a suave, debonaire white man.

How does him appearing as a black man 'make less sense' than his appearance changing in literally every other way possible?

Because Bond is a white man. What is the most noticeable difference between a black man and a white man?

Why are you so hung up on racial identity here? Why do you place such an importance on it? Bond has literally changed appearance half a dozen times, but when he does it and becomes black you freak out. Is Bonds racial identity somehow important to his character? From where I sit its his national identity that matters.

Yes Bond being a suave, debonaire white man is crutial to his character.

Just as Shaft being a black urban African American is important to his.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
Well given the infusion of Germanic blood into the native Celtics tribes of Briton...

Wasn't his mum a German or something ? Was that Flemming tying in the Royal upperclass twit element into the story.

We even had James Bond give the Queen a ride in his helicopter at the Olympic Games. ... Good God I take it all back We couldn't possibly have a black James Bond. What was I thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wasn't his mum a German or something ? Was that Flemming tying in the Royal upperclass twit element into the story.

Bond always represented the ruling class. Who didn't get that? He was the epitomy of that part of the ruling class that could actually fight.

We even had James Bond give the Queen a ride in his helicopter at the Olympic Games. ... Good God I take it all back We couldn't possibly have a black James Bond. What was I thinking.

Who knows...

Long past that now.

40 years of white British males. I accept Bond is a white male as was intended.

Funny how you expect me to accept Bond as a black person after 40 years of him being a white yet you wouldnt go watch the Bourne movies because you didn't like Damon in the role.

Cheers ever so much for pointing out why I don't want a black Bond.

At least you understand...
Problem is you have been to the movies and seen more than one actor play the same role despite being different physically and one wearing glasses but don't like the idea of an actor with a different skin colour.
I haven't seen the movies of the books I read as I let my imagination interpret the words and didn't want to spoil the illusion. In fact in the Da Vinci Code, I imagined a person without even considering the colour of their skin. More physical attributes and Tom Hanks seemed too puny.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Problem is you have been to the movies and seen more than one actor play the same role despite being different physically and one wearing glasses but don't like the idea of an actor with a different skin colour.

I've seen a white male play a role written for a white male.

I haven't seen the movies of the books I read as I let my imagination interpret the words and didn't want to spoil the illusion. In fact in the Da Vinci Code, I imagined a person without even considering the colour of their skin. More physical attributes and Tom Hanks seemed too puny.

If you read the Bond books. Bond would still be white.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond
A white Bond is that last connection with Empire. We can't take that away from them. They can't play cricket .. They can barely qualify for soccer world cups. We can't take Bond away from them they need him now more than ever. As Jesus said "Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar"

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
A white Bond is that last connection with Empire. We can't take that away from them. They can't play cricket .. They can barely qualify for soccer world cups. We can't take Bond away from them they need him now more than ever. As Jesus said "Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar"
You're a bit strange.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

Finally you're starting to get it.

Yes, Bond is supposed to be connected to the vestiges of the well educated dapper misoginistic white ruling class of days past.

Not that hard to comprehend.

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Fassbender is the perfect Bond replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back