Radio Birdman

Remove this Banner Ad

Deniz Tek is releasing a new compilation through Citadel Records in March.

Playing the Espy on April 2.
He will also be appearing on the Australian Mood on RRR sometime this month.

New Radio Birdman box set in the works too.

Damn. I won't be able to get in. I'm not a drunk Irish backpacker or a yobbo from the 'burbs in an elwood t-shirt. I'm actually a local.:p

The new box set has been in the works for a while. CAN'T WAIT being the Birdman fanatic that I am.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I've got Uriah Heep across the road at The Palais earlier in the evening, so if it sounds like Tek hasn't started and I can get through the Western Samoan front row at the door, I'll be there.

I've been waiting for cheap tickets for Uriah Heep - that might turn into an awesome night.

Did anyone get to the Espy last week? Couldn't make it and am gutted about it.

Picked up a copy of the new Citadel release and am listening to it right now.

Blistering to say the least!

Hopefully we'll see him here again soon but I doubt it.

Did anyone get to the Espy last week? Couldn't make it and am gutted about it.

Picked up a copy of the new Citadel release and am listening to it right now.

Blistering to say the least!

Hopefully we'll see him here again soon but I doubt it.

Yeah, I was there. Great little show ... Tekky had his daughter get up and belt out a few numbers. I assume she's Angie Pepper's daughter too.

Did a one hour set, including plenty of his own stuff, a Vibrators cover, Birdman's "Break My Heart", and a great version of "Dirt" from The Stooges' Funhouse album. Awesome.

A very nice treat after an equally impressive Uriah Heep show a couple of hours earlier across the road at The Palais.

Rusty Brookes said:
I've been waiting for cheap tickets for Uriah Heep - that might turn into an awesome night.

I was thinking of you Rusty when a bloke came into the StK RSL beforehand trying to offload his ticket for $20.

Anyone know if The New Christs will be coming to Melbourne to promote their new live release?

Currently playing shows in Europe...maybe (hopefully) later in the year!

Anyone know if The New Christs will be coming to Melbourne to promote their new live release?

Currently playing shows in Europe...maybe (hopefully) later in the year!

I've heard mutterings of a show but unfortunately it will be at the effing Espy. Screaming Tribesman are playing the "effing espy" in September. What is it with these guys from Sydney? They just don't get that the Espy isn't the Espy of the 1980s it's now a backpacker /cashed up bogan entertainment complex.:mad:

I've heard mutterings of a show but unfortunately it will be at the effing Espy. Screaming Tribesman are playing the "effing espy" in September. What is it with these guys from Sydney? They just don't get that the Espy isn't the Espy of the 1980s it's now a backpacker /cashed up bogan entertainment complex.:mad:

LL, I have not been to a gig at The Espy for a long time now. I guess it depends if it is in The Gershwin Room or the Front Bar?

Are you saying that it is difficult to get into the Front Bar to see a band these days?

If I recall correctly you have to pay separately to get into The Gershwin room, which woluld rule out a lot of the backpackers/CUBS. Here's hoping its in The Gershwin!

Ha, hearing you Leapster. It was damn good to see a bit of the old filth oozing back in there for the Monster Session a couple of months ago.

Plus I hate how late some of the gigs run there (I know, get over it old man). Still will be great to see the Tribesmen - Mrs Brookes is over the moon excited at the prospect. We did our wedding waltz to Girl in My Dreams.

saw them at the Be Bop A Lu Bar at the Beverly Crest near St.Kilda Junction and at Martinis in Rathdowne St. They were very good. Also saw the New Race show at the Ballroom, which was pretty good. But the 1977 version of The Saints was still the greatest band of that era. Just caught them the once, sadly.

saw them at the Be Bop A Lu Bar at the Beverly Crest near St.Kilda Junction and at Martinis in Rathdowne St. They were very good. Also saw the New Race show at the Ballroom, which was pretty good. But the 1977 version of The Saints was still the greatest band of that era. Just caught them the once, sadly.

Once is better than never. I've only seen Birdman and the Saints on reformation shows. Great period in Aussie music - see anyone else of that era?

I reckon we might have had this conversation somewhere before Leapster, but Timmy Hemmensley's refusal to stop playing that night despite having the curtains drawn on him and whilst the bouncers were having kittens was truly a glorious rock'n'roll moment.

Did anyone see The Powdermonkeys at the 1996 BDO. Tim Hemmensley went beserk when they cut the sound because The Powdermonkeys had gone overtime. Smashed clock off the stage and if I recall correctly reading the paper a few days later he got arrested.

On The Powdermonkeys, John Nolan played on Spencer P Jones last album. Awesome record!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ghost,

Sound advice. I have been listening to Gloria, Distemper and Divine Rites over the last few months. Controversially, I like Gloria better than Distemper. Thanks for the heads-up. Great stuff.

Yeah IAD, not the most prolific band in the world in terms of recorded output - what is it, 4 or 5 studio albums in 26 years? - but magnificently consistent when they do get stuff out. Not a skerrick of filler to be found.

The epitome of quality over quantity.

Oh yeah, and make sure you get hold of "Lower Yourself" from about 1997-ish if you haven't already. Another classic.

Once is better than never. I've only seen Birdman and the Saints on reformation shows. Great period in Aussie music - see anyone else of that era?

Sure, this was a time when I saw a lot of bands in pubs. Marching Girls were a terrific band. La Femme had a good glam sound, I always enjoyed Jab shows. The Sports were a little older, but they were a fantastic band. I loved their shows (and their records too up until when Martin Arminger joined - they seemed to turn into more of a drab conventional pop band once he started).

Radio Birdman were a very derivative band, but they introduced a lot of music that was largely unknown in this country. I'd never heard Stooges and MC5 songs played live before. I barely knew who the Blue Oyster Cult or the Trashmen were. Plus their energy levels were remarkable -a great band and their lingering influence over Australian rnr is undeniable.

Still at the time the Saints/Birdman thing was a little like the Pistols/Clash divide. I loved the Pistols and for me, the original Saints with Bailey and Kuepper were the greatest Australian band of that time.

Radio Birdman were a very derivative band, but they introduced a lot of music that was largely unknown in this country. I'd never heard Stooges and MC5 songs played live before. I barely knew who the Blue Oyster Cult or the Trashmen were. Plus their energy levels were remarkable -a great band and their lingering influence over Australian rnr is undeniable.

Even as a teenager in the late 80s, Radio Birdman were introducing me to the same bands - the Stooges and the Blue Oyster Cult are my all time favourite bands and I love the MC5, the New York Dolls, the Remains et al. I got into all of them because of Birdman.

Timmy Hemmensley's refusal to stop playing that night despite having the curtains drawn on him and whilst the bouncers were having kittens was truly a glorious rock'n'roll moment.

Did anyone see The Powdermonkeys at the 1996 BDO. Tim Hemmensley went beserk when they cut the sound because The Powdermonkeys had gone overtime. Smashed clock off the stage and if I recall correctly reading the paper a few days later he got arrested.

Tim told me that both Wayne Kramer (MC5) and Deniz Tek thought the Powder Monkeys set was incredible. The Powder Monkeys on their night were the best rock band in the world. They were hit and miss but when they hit, BAM! Incredible band - I was lucky enough to play heaps of shows with Tim and co. (even toured Adelaide with them).

Tim told me that both Wayne Kramer (MC5) and Deniz Tek thought the Powder Monkeys set was incredible. The Powder Monkeys on their night were the best rock band in the world. They were hit and miss but when they hit, BAM! Incredible band - I was lucky enough to play heaps of shows with Tim and co. (even toured Adelaide with them).

That gig will always be one of most enduring r'n'r memories in this country. Given that it was the same venue that served up Nirvana, Pogues, Screaming Trees, Danzig, Suicidals, Monster Magnet etc, that's bloody saying something. Mind blowing night.

Double barreling it here but did go to the gig at the Caravan Club and it was a heap of fun. And what is this Detroit you speak of?

Ah sweet. I was hoping to go to the gig. Leadfinger are a great band - Stewart Cunningham from the Proton Energy Pills (per Tumbleweed), Brother Brick et al. Great guitarist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back