Radiohead tour

Remove this Banner Ad

I sold it for $140. That covered the price, the booking fee, and the postage to the guy. Well above? Barely. I didn't want to be a douche about it.

Karma Police isn't their best song. There's a reason Radiohead stopped playing Creep in 1998. Pricks going to see them for one song and coming home disappointed because they didn't play it. They have never been a band to parade singles or to be a typical pop band. It's like lamenting the lack of guitars in their newest stuff... like... shouldn't you expect it? Why get annoyed about it when they're not going to change.

It's like someone going to the Atoms for Peace shows and being disappointed that they didn't play a Radiohead song.

Well, I retract my comment about you selling your ticket above cost price. I made an assumption based on the fact that one guy used the word "scalp". You did the right thing by selling it for $140.

But the rest of my post stands. You haven't just told people that they should know what to expect when they attend a Radiohead show. You've done so in an incredibly pretentious manner. Moreover, you've consistently tried to tell people what, objectively, constitutes Radiohead's best and worst work. For example, "Karma Police isn't their best song". What are you talking about? These are not objective questions.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of this argument now, because it seems like there are enough people doing a great job of putting you back in your place.

Thank you for proving my point you fall under category two. Bands don't have "best songs" they have a variety of songs that some people like more than others. This is what's great about music that pretentious hipster shits such as yourself fail to understand.

The term in bold is a perfect description for Radiohead fans - oh so cool...

The term in bold is a perfect description for Radiohead fans - oh so cool...

So untrue. Radiohead is such a massive group that naturally their fan base incorporates a few hipsters. However, I lined up quite early yesterday, and you would never in a million years use that word to describe the people that were there with me (the first 50 or so). Like, one of the first to arrive was a 50 something American woman wearing a ski vest (she'd been following them their entire career). Hardly a hipster.

So untrue. Radiohead is such a massive group that naturally their fan base incorporates a few hipsters. However, I lined up quite early yesterday, and you would never in a million years use that word to describe the people that were there with me (the first 50 or so). Like, one of the first to arrive was a 50 something American woman wearing a ski vest (she'd been following them their entire career). Hardly a hipster.
I had a really hot Spanish women next to me. I don't know if she was a hipster, and to be honest, I don't really care :p

The songs that sounded most amazing live were their most popular ones...

I was thinking this during the show - the pretentious Radiohead supporters spend their time telling everyone how s**t the hits are, yet as soon as a hit such as Karma Police came on everyone lost their s**t. The vibe/atmosphere in the place was easily the best for the more popular songs

I was thinking this during the show - the pretentious Radiohead supporters spend their time telling everyone how s**t the hits are, yet as soon as a hit such as Karma Police came on everyone lost their s**t. The vibe/atmosphere in the place was easily the best for the more popular songs
So, what, goodness is constituted by the amount of people who like it?

So a turd like Geordie Shore or Two and a Half Men is a good show, just because a lot of people like it?
There is a degree of objectivity with music. Karma Police is a very good song. I've never come out and said it was bad. It's an extremely strong, melodic track and it was a gateway for a lot of people (yeah, me as well). The thing is, there's just more interesting and better songs in their catalogue.
As for the whole "don't go to Radiohead and expect the hits," I stand by that statement. I mean, it's obvious that they've moved toward an electronic sound. And they're kind of stigmatised as a pretentious or depressing bunch of pricks... knowing that, you should realise that they might not whore themselves out to playing every single hit they've had. I kind of respect them because they're not total sell out arseholes, pandering to the fairweather (like Coldplay so sensationally do: But at least Coldplay admit they make cardboard music for mums).

(PS. It's kind of funny how when I'm not trolling and antagonistic, I get pinged for it... but when I blatantly am, everyone just gets worked up. Seriously.)

Love how hipsters aren't considered 'normal'
I love how hipster is now this loosely defined term for a kid into art and music. I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster and I'm pretty sure hipster is a passe term. It's like the stock rebuttal.

What's actually wrong with being a hipster? They're the most harmless subculture ever. They don't ship shitty drugs like bikies, they don't live an unhealthy and uneducated lifestyle like the bogan, and they don't kick people's heads in like skinheads did. Who cares about a bunch of self-entitled, middle class kids? What's even the point in getting angry about it? And if their snobbery makes you a bit upset, then you're a total pussy.

Last night was awesome. As somebody who rates in Rainbows as their best work, having a large portion of that album played was amazing. I'm in the camp that doesn't really like their TKOL style frenetic electroniccy stuff, but I was blown away by how good it was live. "Give up the ghost" was great live, and "Morning Mr Magpie"was the best song of the night for mine.

One of very few concerts I've been to where I've genuinely enjoyed every song, although I thought Thom sang "Climbing up the walls"a bit flat which meant it wasn't as awesome as I hoped.

Interesting crowd, when they went off for the first encore it was like the crowd was asleep, just politely clapping. When they came back on though they were immense, that first encore was the best encore I've ever seen.

For a 5/6 piece band that plays in bizarre time signatures with intricate multiple parts overlapping eachother, they are incredibly tight. Radiohead has always been about the little things for me; the bass so frequently makes the song, there are often so many little guitar bits or just random noises that happen once in a song that sound amazing, and they just have this amazing ability to make every single song just get continually better the longer you listen to it. They just build up and build up until they explode.

Two drummers sounded great, and visually it was fantastic for a non-showman style band (I saw Coldplay on Tuesday and they were polar opposites in style of performance). The "room"created in 15 step looked amazing.

Am going again tonight, and really hoping I get "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi", which is my favourite song ever. However, considering the absolute shitload of quality songs they didn't play, they could have a setlist completely different to last nights and it would still blow me away.

Read the last 2 pages and people have been out of line in their attack on Silent Alarm

I actually agree with the gist of everything he said. He wasnt being pretentious, he just knows how the band works (long-time ateaseweb forumer). Also, he is still a teenager, and he missed seeing a band live which he obviously loves. Give him a break! Be happy that Radiohead played a show in your nearest city.

Last night was awesome. As somebody who rates in Rainbows as their best work, having a large portion of that album played was amazing. I'm in the camp that doesn't really like their TKOL style frenetic electroniccy stuff, but I was blown away by how good it was live. "Give up the ghost" was great live, and "Morning Mr Magpie"was the best song of the night for mine.

One of very few concerts I've been to where I've genuinely enjoyed every song, although I thought Thom sang "Climbing up the walls"a bit flat which meant it wasn't as awesome as I hoped.

Interesting crowd, when they went off for the first encore it was like the crowd was asleep, just politely clapping. When they came back on though they were immense, that first encore was the best encore I've ever seen.

For a 5/6 piece band that plays in bizarre time signatures with intricate multiple parts overlapping eachother, they are incredibly tight. Radiohead has always been about the little things for me; the bass so frequently makes the song, there are often so many little guitar bits or just random noises that happen once in a song that sound amazing, and they just have this amazing ability to make every single song just get continually better the longer you listen to it. They just build up and build up until they explode.

Two drummers sounded great, and visually it was fantastic for a non-showman style band (I saw Coldplay on Tuesday and they were polar opposites in style of performance). The "room"created in 15 step looked amazing.

Am going again tonight, and really hoping I get "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi", which is my favourite song ever. However, considering the absolute shitload of quality songs they didn't play, they could have a setlist completely different to last nights and it would still blow me away.

I like In Rainbows too, it's like a rather accessible greatest hits album, packed full of showstopping tunes. We had 6/10 tracks from that album at our show (mostly the best ones). Weird Fishes/Arpeggi was one of the highlights for me in Sydney (alone with Nude), so hope it appears for you.

I like the greater setlist of songs they chose for this tour, it works well together.

Glad to see Codex hasnt really popped up, always considered that song a bit of a fraud. Good 1st minute or so, but really goes nowhere after that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read the last 2 pages and people have been out of line in their attack on Silent Alarm

I actually agree with the gist of everything he said. He wasnt being pretentious, he just knows how the band works (long-time ateaseweb forumer).

You've missed the point, pretty sure most people agree that SA knows what he's talking about, it's more the way he's gone about telling people. Just because you think you have a greater music knowledge/taste than someone doesn't mean you can talk down to them. The whole point of music is that people have different opinions - SA doesn't respect other people's if they differ from his own. And instead of being quiet about it and letting them do their own thing, he gets his kicks off putting them down.

Amazing show.
Thankful I got tickets on Thursday, seemed not many people knew about the extra tickets that went on sale.

I think you might of got lucky, I was on there from midday for about 45 mins and couldn't get anything, read stories of others with the same problem.

I thought they were rather average really. Thom's definitely lost his spark and the band don't quite gel like they used to. Think the band should just split and Thom concentrate on his solo work. Seem to be past their used by date. Almost as bad as Coldplay. Their '98 Festival Hall gig will never be beaten.

:O Climbing Up the Walls blew my mate's and I's minds. Probably my favourite song of the night, it was so eery.
i thought he kinda just barked the lyrics out. i prefer the haunting singing as on the album. also the bass was too loud; i could barely make out the guitar aside from the solo.

The "room"created in 15 step looked amazing.
that was cool.

You've missed the point, pretty sure most people agree that SA knows what he's talking about, it's more the way he's gone about telling people. Just because you think you have a greater music knowledge/taste than someone doesn't mean you can talk down to them. The whole point of music is that people have different opinions - SA doesn't respect other people's if they differ from his own. And instead of being quiet about it and letting them do their own thing, he gets his kicks off putting them down.

No, I think he was just trying to explain things with his point of view, and created some discussion. He wasnt talking down to anyone.

I actually agree with the gist of everything he said. He wasnt being pretentious, he just knows how the band works (long-time ateaseweb forumer). Also, he is still a teenager, and he missed seeing a band live which he obviously loves. Give him a break! Be happy that Radiohead played a show in your nearest city.

What he said was pretty much spot-on, but he was a bit of a douche in the way he said it. Radiohead have such a range of songs that it'd be idiotic to expect the same ones all the time, though that doesn't mean it's not good to hear them from time to time and be a little bit envious of those who did (I'd have liked to have heard Street Spirit last night, but I'm not complaining because everything else was amazing).

I think you might of got lucky, I was on there from midday for about 45 mins and couldn't get anything, read stories of others with the same problem.
Really? Looked like there were tix available for the sat show up until ~12:30, even on Friday arvo there were tix available again for the Sat show. I did use the mobile website this time though, that might've been why. I learned my lesson in Feb trying to get tickets on the main website.

Just to re-iterate, I wasn't complaining. I mean after all a few days before the concert I wasn't even going. I was just saying how jealous I am that you Melbourne based Radiohead fans got to hear Karma Police live, which is one of my favourite songs ever.

And thank you to the people sticking up for me, greatly appreciated.

Oh fyfie3011, I got to hear Street Spirit live ;)

No, I think he was just trying to explain things with his point of view, and created some discussion. He wasnt talking down to anyone.
So, when he claimed that a poster 'didn't deserve to go' to the concert, he wasn't talking down to them? Interesting way of looking at it....

SA, we get it bro, you're a huge Radiohead fan. Doesn't mean that people can't have their own opinions about the band and be a little disappointed that their favourite song wasn't played. It's not as if these people were demanding their money back because one or two songs weren't played, they would just liked to have heard them.

SA, we get it bro, you're a huge Radiohead fan. Doesn't mean that people can't have their own opinions about the band and be a little disappointed that their favourite song wasn't played. It's not as if these people were demanding their money back because one or two songs weren't played, they would just liked to have heard them.
This, this and so much this.

I thought they were rather average really. Thom's definitely lost his spark and the band don't quite gel like they used to. Think the band should just split and Thom concentrate on his solo work. Seem to be past their used by date. Almost as bad as Coldplay. Their '98 Festival Hall gig will never be beaten.
Interesting you say this.

They basically hated touring and kind of hated each other in 1998. I guess it shows just how remarkable they were as artists in 1997-2001. They could be jet lagged and tired and depressed (Thom in a literal sense) and still kill it.

I had two friends go.

Me and a mate sat raced to a computer after our uni tutes to get tickets. I lucked out and got two general admish tickets. He'd only heard a bit of stuff, but he's someone who just likes getting out of Perth. He ended up going. His report was that they were really solid, as good as Coldplay (who he saw a few days earlier, and is a much bigger fan of). He loved it.

But another friend, from Melbourne, is a diehard. Whole discography including stuff like the Wake Me Before They Come-snippet kind of fan. He was a bit disappointed and said they were kind of flat and didn't really engage the crowd well. Also reported that the setlist was all over the place, stopping the momentum with slow jams on too many occasions. Then again, he was in the nosebleeds...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back