Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
At the end of the day if he stays and scores 15 goals this season nobody is going to care. Hence why we are not budging a cent on our valuation.

And much of the nonsense is driven by Ward who turned into a campaigner when he went out and started his own agency.
Sterling wants to leave, stop blaming others and accept the fact. Your club cant keep good players, the only exceptions are local players.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Sterling wants to leave, stop blaming others and accept the fact. Your club cant keep good players, the only exceptions are local players.

Do you want counselling for your break up with your LFC supporting ex?

Do you want counselling for your break up with your LFC supporting ex?

He was dating FAITH?

panda-rage-o.gif

don't go for tomboys mate. prefer women who aren't into sport at all so they won't interrupt me watching it with stupid comments, or mistakenly think they know what they're talking about.

Sounds like a girl I know.

John Aldridge then and now.

Then (Jan 31, 2015)

Asked if he could become as good as Messi and Ronaldo, he added: “You never know. I do not think he’s a goalscorer, but he’s only 19 years old [Ed. he is actually 20]. It would be unfair to say that you can not reach those levels. He has the quality to be an excellent player.”

Now (June 26, 2015)

"I've watched Sterling develop and he always looked like a classy player in the making, but I’m sure Aaron Lennon and Shaun Wright-Phillips looked just as good when they burst through the ranks".

Ronaldo and Messi to SWP and Lennon. That's quite the 5 months, ha ha.

Some serious analysis conducted here. I reckon there won't be a third bid after reading this.

The Anfield hierarchy are holding out for an offer of £50m before sanctioning the sale of the want-away England international - a fee that Manchester City may ultimately agree to meet.

Should a deal at that price go through it would make the 20-year-old the most expensive Englishman in history and the most big-spending Manchester City have ever spent on a player.

But is he worth it?

The Independent teamed up with the makers of Football Manager to run simulations of the upcoming season to try and find out. The 2015/16 Premier League was played through twice - once with Sterling in the Manchester City team and once without.

In both seasons, Manchester City finished as they did this season - as runners up to eventual champions Chelsea.

There was a slight improvement in terms of points, with the side with Sterling accruing 80 compared to 78 without. That means each extra point would cost Manchester City £25m if they bought Sterling for £50m.

The simulation run with Sterling in the side for all 38 league matches suggested he would score nine time and create seven assists. Failing to win a single man-of-the-match award, his average match rating is 7.06 - making his the eighth best player at the end of the season. Unsurprisingly Aguero his their top performer.

The research by Sports Interactive, the makers of Football Manager, uses a vast database compiled by approximately 1,000 researchers across the world (including real-life scouts) to blend reality and fiction and is used by real life managers. It appears to back up warnings that a move for Sterling, who at Liverpool is considered a leading player, could impede his progress. If he were to rank as Manchester City's eighth best player, he could soon find himself warming the bench at a club where competition for places is fierce.

* me. That guy that uses FM for his posts on forums on prospective new signings has just got a job at a (formerly) serious newspaper.

Apr 14, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
Some serious analysis conducted here. I reckon there won't be a third bid after reading this.

**** me. That guy that uses FM for his posts on forums on prospective new signings has just got a job at a (formerly) serious newspaper.
Did not know the Sterling signing would only be for 1 season.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.

**** me. That guy that uses FM for his posts on forums on prospective new signings has just got a job at a (formerly) serious newspaper.

the amount of places that do this is actually staggering.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
John Aldridge then and now.

Then (Jan 31, 2015)

Now (June 26, 2015)

Ronaldo and Messi to SWP and Lennon. That's quite the 5 months, ha ha.

I agree with you, but to be fair, you have definitely, definitely said something along the lines of Sterling looking like he might go the way of Lennon & SWP when we've discussed his potential in here in the past!

Aldo's like a lot of supporters I'm sure, probably a bit bitter about losing such a good player and so he comes off sounding like a bit of a muppet with his latest comments, but equally if I went on Bluemoon or twitter I'm sure I could find a number of City supporters who have done the reverse!

Last edited:
I agree with you, but to be fair, you have definitely, definitely said something along the lines of Sterling looking like he might go the way of Lennon & SWP when we've discussed his potential in here in the past!

I havent changed my opinion from Ronaldo and Messi to SWP and Lennon in the space of 5 months.

This is what I said about him in April last year.

Sterling has got more about him than the typical English speed merchant (Lennon, SWP etc). Lot more intelligent, lot more flexible.

Get the feeling he will need to be pulled into line every now and then, and avoid him feeling that he has made it.

But a load of potential and by far your best player in the first half.

Aldo's like a lot of supporters I'm sure, probably a bit bitter about losing such a good player and so he comes off sounding like a bit of a muppet with his latest comments, but equally if I went on Bluemoon or twitter I'm sure I could find a number of City supporters who have done the reverse!

He's paid to write his opinions in the paper. If he's there to cheerlead the papers should tell us so. Fair game for criticism imo.

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Good to see Liverpool continue their stance of not succumbing to Ward's tactics of driving a wedge between Sterling and the club, it's the right way to play this in my opinion.

Contrary to suggestions that the club planned to freeze out or marginalize Raheem in any way in response to those comments by his agent in the media, Rodgers & the club continue to play a straight bat; insisting he continue to be treated as any other Liverpool player and that he is expected to join the rest of the squad at Melwood for the start of preseason training next week & for the tour of Asia/Australia in 2 weeks.

If Ward has any hopes of making this move easier for Sterling by making his client's position 'untenable' at Liverpool, it looks like he's going to have to try a lot harder! The question therefore is obviously - what is he going to do next? Any bets? I'm going to go with smearing dog poop on the door handles of Rodgers' Bentley.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I thought he might have made a bit of noise by now. But theres been no sign of anything. Maybe all parties still pretty confident the deal will be done, and theres no need to force the issue.

Not much Ward can do if City aren't prepared to cough up the 50m required to buy Sterling.
Seems like that is the only sticking point for the deal.

Not much Ward can do if City aren't prepared to cough up the 50m required to buy Sterling.
Seems like that is the only sticking point for the deal.
Yes. The fact that the two clubs are yet to come to an agreement is holding things up somewhat.

But it's June. September 1 is a long way away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back